Register Now
Kane99

Folding Smartphones

What are your thoughts on the folding smartphones that are starting to come out now? I heard some good and some bad with it. The good is that the screen is nice and clear, and when folded, you have an outside screen that works like a regular smartphone. Otherwise the bad side is that the phone is mostly plastic, including the screen, so you're more at risk for scratches and other damage. As well, one reviewer stated that the hinges catch sand, and other debris easily, so that may be a problem. 

What do you think of them? They look cool, but for the money, the quality doesn't seem all there. Do you think it would be a good gaming tool? Or would it be best suited for other things?

Samsung-fold-05-1024x768.jpg

Samsung-fold-02-1024x689.jpg

Images from this article here

Not a good choice. Those hinges will break easily. More so than the flip phones that were all the rage a decade ago. people were constantly breaking them, and replacing them with new phones that weren't built that way, even though lately they seem to be making a bit of a comeback. But by looking at this phone, It will break in half a hell of a lot quicker.

2 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

Not a good choice. Those hinges will break easily. More so than the flip phones that were all the rage a decade ago. people were constantly breaking them, and replacing them with new phones that weren't built that way, even though lately they seem to be making a bit of a comeback. But by looking at this phone, It will break in half a hell of a lot quicker.

That's what I think is going to happen eventually. The hinges alone are going to be a collector of dust and hair, that eventually it will start to just degrade. Linus on YouTube made a video about these phones and did stress tests on them. So he put them in sand I think and dropped debris on it. It was also easy to scratch, because it is plastic after all. I don't think a folding phone is practical. It's cool, and for the most part, it does work, but for how long will it work properly? 

31 minutes ago, AndreiMirfi said:

As I know, these things are still on beta. They are so expensive and most of them break in like 2-6 months. 

You can't do nothing on that, Samsung?!

That's the thing, they were on beta, but it seems Samsung and others are releasing these out to the public right now. So it's no longer a beta program. I suppose the price tag helps with that, as I doubt a lot of people will be spending $1000+ on something that could break fast. I see these phones around for a while and then I think they will go into obscurity like all the other weird gadgets of the past do. 

6 hours ago, killamch89 said:

As of now, the price tag along with the lack of support makes it very unappealing. However, as the technology improves and the price continues to decrease, it could replace tablets and smartphones in 10-15 years.

It would have to be a big discount imo. And they would have to figure out a way to make it where sand doesn't collect in the hinges and all that. But, if the product is well made and continues to get better with new updates, changes, it could be the future of mobile phones. But I just don't see it happening. 

1 hour ago, Kane99 said:

It would have to be a big discount imo. And they would have to figure out a way to make it where sand doesn't collect in the hinges and all that. But, if the product is well made and continues to get better with new updates, changes, it could be the future of mobile phones. But I just don't see it happening. 

I agree with you that in the short-term, it's definitely not feasible. In the long-term, I can see it replacing tablets.

I see a folding phone as nothing but a hassle. I think it's a lot smarter to keep the basic design of phones as they are now. One solid piece with no physically moving outer parts. I just upgraded last yer to an iPhone 6s. That's right. The 6s was an upgrade. I had used an iPhone 5 for years, until it finally completely crapped out on me. And I'm talking more than 5 years. And it was a hand-me-down to start. Why didn't I upgrade to the newest iPhone? Because I didn't need all the bullshit that came with it, it cost over $1000 (the 6s was $200), and I didn't see a point in going for something just because it's new. Also I couldn't afford to drop $1000+ on a damn phone. I could get a Tracfone for $50 and just put time on it. I did that for more than 10 years, and had no complaints. And the 6s does absolutely everything I want it to do. So why the hell not?

Also that 6s wasn't used. It was brand new.

Edited by The Blackangel

Looks like two phones in one. Don't have to fit boobs on one screen anymore. They could make it as two separate phones with a stronger binder to hold it together, then just sync the two phones and screen share. Or else just stick to an iPad and invest in a cool purse to hold it. Just like they do with a laptop but smaller. All I can say is: cheeseburger, quarter pounder, double quarter pounder. Pounder. 

10 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

Looks like two phones in one. Don't have to fit boobs on one screen anymore. They could make it as two separate phones with a stronger binder to hold it together, then just sync the two phones and screen share. Or else just stick to an iPad and invest in a cool purse to hold it. Just like they do with a laptop but smaller. All I can say is: cheeseburger, quarter pounder, double quarter pounder. Pounder. 

I totally agree that the design also need to improved drastically before it becomes far more appealing to anyone.

1 hour ago, skyfire said:

I remember the MOTO razor and also the similar sony model which got damaged. I know for sure that folding smartphone like that are pretty bad for handling if you ask me. 

idk, those phones were powerhouses back in the day and lasted quite a bit. But, gradually the hinges on said phones do go, and down the road, these hinges in the smart folding phones are bound to get damaged over time too. 

I think once these phones get down in price, it won't be too much of a problem. Because if these become cheap enough, it won't be a problem to buy a newer one at some point. But as they stand now at those prices, I don't see people jumping at the opportunity to own one, at least not yet.