Register Now
Kane99

Folding Smartphones

On 11/12/2020 at 3:02 PM, Kane99 said:

idk, those phones were powerhouses back in the day and lasted quite a bit. But, gradually the hinges on said phones do go, and down the road, these hinges in the smart folding phones are bound to get damaged over time too. 

I think once these phones get down in price, it won't be too much of a problem. Because if these become cheap enough, it won't be a problem to buy a newer one at some point. But as they stand now at those prices, I don't see people jumping at the opportunity to own one, at least not yet. 

I'd rather go with Rollable phones to be honest and that's off of what I'm seeing so far. They don't seem to face many of the glaring issues that foldables have but are far more durable.

On 12/8/2020 at 6:28 AM, skyfire said:

Foldable and the flap based phones. I just cant use them seriously and also getting them damaged with my workflow would be lot easier too. 

I have a few friends with the original Z fold and they're experiencing a lot of issues with the handset right now. The thing with Foldable device especially the phones is that they're not very efficient at anything.

On 12/15/2020 at 4:23 AM, skyfire said:

My sony phone in past which was foldable prior to android got damaged in under 6 months. I just can't stand those designs. I see no strong point of using them at all. 

Maybe if they were made out of some flexible, indestructible material, I'd give them a go but I do agree that they're currently not worth it all and the price is horrendous.

4 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Maybe if they were made out of some flexible, indestructible material, I'd give them a go but I do agree that they're currently not worth it all and the price is horrendous.

That's the thing though, it's tough to make strong material that can bend. Most folding devices like this, are made of plastic, so the screen is plastic as well. Unfortunetly I don't know of any glass that can bend like that, nor do I know of any other glass like material. And metal, I don't think it'd work much either, as that would gradually wear down. 

I really don't think folding phones or tablets will take off too long. Unless they find a way to make the material less brittle. 

6 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Problem is for such phones your workflow, handling changes and that is not transferable skills when new phone comes out which are rare in market. 

On 12/18/2020 at 6:00 AM, skyfire said:

Problem is for such phones your workflow, handling changes and that is not transferable skills when new phone comes out which are rare in market. 

I understand what you're saying but I was talking in more of a near future kind of situation where the technology is more widely adopted and manufacturers start making software optimized for the platform.

On 12/18/2020 at 3:17 AM, Kane99 said:

That's the thing though, it's tough to make strong material that can bend. Most folding devices like this, are made of plastic, so the screen is plastic as well. Unfortunetly I don't know of any glass that can bend like that, nor do I know of any other glass like material. And metal, I don't think it'd work much either, as that would gradually wear down. 

I really don't think folding phones or tablets will take off too long. Unless they find a way to make the material less brittle. 

Actually, Samsung had a patented glass that was flexible but I don't know if that glass will ever be implemented in foldables.

16 hours ago, killamch89 said:

I understand what you're saying but I was talking in more of a near future kind of situation where the technology is more widely adopted and manufacturers start making software optimized for the platform.

Provided the adoption is more for them. In near future we are moving to paper displays and the hologram displays so the fashion of rollable and folding is pretty much temporary. 

On 12/22/2020 at 2:23 PM, skyfire said:

Provided the adoption is more for them. In near future we are moving to paper displays and the hologram displays so the fashion of rollable and folding is pretty much temporary. 

You have a valid point there but we'll see. Who knows? maybe we will get smartwatches with hologram projections that'll replace our smartphones or something like that.

I don't think this stretch phones will go far, cos I see it has a bomb getting ready to explode. 

I think they should be looking at phones that can never be stolen or swap once bought. 

I have seen many people people's details get into wrong hands when their device was stolen.

This idea is not bad atall, it is just a start and I know a lot of phone companies will try this too in the nearest future.

On 12/31/2020 at 8:06 AM, Peterlight said:

I don't think this stretch phones will go far, cos I see it has a bomb getting ready to explode. 

I think they should be looking at phones that can never be stolen or swap once bought. 

I have seen many people people's details get into wrong hands when their device was stolen.

This idea is not bad atall, it is just a start and I know a lot of phone companies will try this too in the nearest future.

Rollable phones are far more durable than folding phones right out the box and cost less to produce so I'm not sure why you think it'll explode.

On 11/12/2020 at 7:14 PM, skyfire said:

I remember the MOTO razor and also the similar sony model which got damaged. I know for sure that folding smartphone like that are pretty bad for handling if you ask me. 

Seriously, those phones looked odd to me no matter how much it was trending back. I never thought about buying one day till it became outdated. 

1 hour ago, Heatman said:

Seriously, those phones looked odd to me no matter how much it was trending back. I never thought about buying one day till it became outdated. 

Actually, the original Razor was pretty thin and stylish even back then and they could easily slip into your pocket. The more recent version however, looked quite odd.

22 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Actually, the original Razor was pretty thin and stylish even back then and they could easily slip into your pocket. The more recent version however, looked quite odd.

Exactly, you got it spot on with the old razor. The design and now simple it looked was only good thing that I can point out in it as far as I'm concerned.