Register Now
Kane99

How did you store your games?

The last apartment I lived in was a shithole in a drug infested area. Gunshots were nightly. But it had its good points. All utilities were included in the rent. And the landlords accepted Section-8, so my rent went from $350 to $160 per month. outside that I had cable TV ($50) and internet ($50), so my total bills were $260 per month. The rest of the money I got every month, which wasn't shit by the way, I could do whatever I wanted with. Disability just barely gives you enough to survive on, depending on what you can find. I got lucky, money wise.

Edited by The Blackangel

I never owned so many physical games that storing them could be an issue. Even less of them had boxes. Games didn't have boxes since the late 90s. Everything since is in a dvd case, that doesn't take that much space. I have a single cabinet that stores all my physical games and it even has room for my audio cd collection.

Edited by m76

5 hours ago, m76 said:

I never owned so many physical games that storing them could be an issue. Even less of them had boxes. Games didn't have boxes since the late 90s. Everything since is in a dvd case, that doesn't take that much space. I have a single cabinet that stores all my physical games and it even has room for my audio cd collection.

Wait - you still have audio CDs? I just had to ask because it's been close to a decade since I've had one of those. Without even realizing it, I had made such a smooth transition to digital audio so many years ago.

19 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Wait - you still have audio CDs? I just had to ask because it's been close to a decade since I've had one of those. Without even realizing it, I had made such a smooth transition to digital audio so many years ago.

Yes and I just ordered 3 more recently. I don't like streaming, the quality never quite seems the same as a properly mastered audio CD. And also there is something occasional about taking one of your favorite records out of its case and inserting it into a proper hifi player. Seeing the booklet / cover art also adds to the occasion. Plus I love how my pair of speakers sounds with my home theater amplifier. I got lucky with that combo, as it produces sound well above the quality it's original price would suggest.

Edited by m76

I still have and buy CD’s as well. I currently have more than $1500 worth of CD’s and listen to them whenever I’m driving. But whenever I get a new CD the first thing I do is rip it. And I’m always burning mixes so I have a shitload of burned discs around here, and a hell of a lot of blanks left. CD-R’s and CD-RW’s both.

Also my disc drive is a blu-ray RW as well.

Edited by The Blackangel

20 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

I still have and buy CD’s as well. I currently have more than $1500 worth of CD’s and listen to them whenever I’m driving. But whenever I get a new CD the first thing I do is rip it. And I’m always burning mixes so I have a shitload of burned discs around here, and a hell of a lot of blanks left. CD-R’s and CD-RW’s both.

That's actually not a half bad use of blanks. I have a lot of them left over as well.

On 12/7/2020 at 6:03 PM, m76 said:

Yes and I just ordered 3 more recently. I don't like streaming, the quality never quite seems the same as a properly mastered audio CD. And also there is something occasional about taking one of your favorite records out of its case and inserting it into a proper hifi player. Seeing the booklet / cover art also adds to the occasion. Plus I love how my pair of speakers sounds with my home theater amplifier. I got lucky with that combo, as it produces sound well above the quality it's original price would suggest.

That sounds good!

23 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

To be fair, I do occasionally stumble upon some old burn CDs that I made as teen but they so badly scratched that I just dispose of them.

Been over 7 years since I last got a boxed game series and to this day I got them still. Not allot since I sold them at garage sales. Point saying also that very old games you can get them of steam or downloadable websites. The future of discs are fading away, even PC discs drives. I don't even have a disc drive on my PC. 

On 12/10/2020 at 3:27 AM, skyfire said:

GOG and humble bundle are kind of solving my digital storage issues. And same with steam. I am not going back to the boxes now considering such games are rare and often not worth with boxes. 

Unless it's an older console, I'm going to fully utilize the digital route as well.

On 12/10/2020 at 8:15 AM, Empire said:

Been over 7 years since I last got a boxed game series and to this day I got them still. Not allot since I sold them at garage sales. Point saying also that very old games you can get them of steam or downloadable websites. The future of discs are fading away, even PC discs drives. I don't even have a disc drive on my PC. 

My last two gaming laptops and my previous gaming desktop didn't have a disc drive either. I mean, you can get an external disk drive for like $10-$20 so it's doesn't make much sense having one take up a whole slot inside your PC case.

9 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Unless it's an older console, I'm going to fully utilize the digital route as well.

If I ever own my own land and build small house on it. I am going to digital route because considering I am serious hobbyist I don't want apartment heists and robbery damaging my hobby or other computers that I own. 

11 hours ago, killamch89 said:

My last two gaming laptops and my previous gaming desktop didn't have a disc drive either. I mean, you can get an external disk drive for like $10-$20 so it's doesn't make much sense having one take up a whole slot inside your PC case.

I don't have a option anymore in my case, Where the disc drive is located it's replaced with my big 280mm AIO cooler. With no drive it allows you to have more space for what's needed. In my old case there was far more space since it was a full ATX tower. But even then didn't use it much LOL

Even with my old drive I can still use it by USB