Register Now
Zak

Is there really any point in a Series X over a Series S?

My son wants an new Xbox for Christmas and he's yammering on about the X being superior. Whilst I get that it is superior I do wonder if there is any real point in paying the extra money for it over the S. Other than the 4K feature (we don't have a 4K TV) I can't see any reason to buy the more expensive machine. Change my mind?

I don't know your son obviously, but depending on his age, image can be everything. He may just want it to either keep up with his friends, or have some false sense of superiority. If he has what kids his age have determined the best, it will elevate his standing among his peers. Unless childhood has significantly changed in the last 30 years.

I think the series s will be just fine. It'll from my understanding still have great graphics and will play all the same games. If you want to play all your games in the best quality and with less lag, than a series x may be a better option. But, I bet your son would be happy with either. 

Edited by Kane99

The series S is digital only, you can't resell games at all. And it has small storage which coupled with being digital only means lots of uninstalls / reinstalls, directly from the internet, unless you are on an unlimited and fast plan that can be a problem also.

20 hours ago, m76 said:

The series S is digital only, you can't resell games at all. And it has small storage which coupled with being digital only means lots of uninstalls / reinstalls, directly from the internet, unless you are on an unlimited and fast plan that can be a problem also.

True, but even so, they would have to install the discs if they were to have those. So it's really not much of a difference. But I do agree about the storage. I heard it has 512GB of storage, which is not enough for a new gen console. It should have come with a 1TB drive at the least, not 512GB. 

I don't know what has happened, or if you already bought the series X for your son or you talked him out of it. From my experience I feel the S and X has some similar features but the X out performs the S. but if you own a S it would still serve you perfectly well .

I think so. The games I play now, specifically Fortnite are getting heavier and more advanced, using unreal engine 5 now, it lags a lot on my aging Xbox One X, so yes, I do believe there is definitely a need for the Series S & X. I wish I could afford an X right now.  As stated above, the Xbox Series X outperforms the S, if you have an Xbox One, One S or One X, the Series S will outperform those, the Series X will out perform the Series S, so it's a significant upgrade, in my opinion.

On 11/12/2022 at 8:50 PM, Shortie said:

I think so. The games I play now, specifically Fortnite are getting heavier and more advanced, using unreal engine 5 now, it lags a lot on my aging Xbox One X, so yes, I do believe there is definitely a need for the Series S & X. I wish I could afford an X right now.  As stated above, the Xbox Series X outperforms the S, if you have an Xbox One, One S or One X, the Series S will outperform those, the Series X will out perform the Series S, so it's a significant upgrade, in my opinion.

Yeah, I have used a few past generation Xbox consoles and also been opportuned to game on the Xbox series X and imo there's actually a significant upgrade and functions that the series X has over other previous generation Xbox consoles.

There is lots of improvement from the S to the X should be pretty obvious when you start playing any game. it's all up to the game honestly, some have major differences while others do not. but great tv, I got rid of my qn90a for the lg c1, and it's amazing.