Register Now
22_22

The Paralympics?

A lot of people love The Olympics but I do not know that many people who watch The Paralympics too. I have been learning about both in my studies and I have become infatuated especially by the latter. I definitely think it is something I am going to pay attention to if we can have the Olympics within all this COVID-19 pandemic!

Will anyone else be watching in Tokyo?

I thought once about trying out, but wouldn't have qualified. It's called paralympics not disabledlympics. I'm in a wheelchair, but I can still stand up. So that would have qualified as an unfair advantage. Either way, I don't plan on watching. I never watch the regular Olympics either. The only sport I watch on TV is hockey.

Edited by The Blackangel

I'm not a fan of the regular olympics either. I think it's overhyped and overorganized. I like some niche sports, some of which are at the olympics, but I prefer smaller competitions. There is more comradery and fair play, and it seems like everyone is happy at smaller events. At the olympics you can see a lot of frustrated athletes, I don't like that.

I watch sports for the beauty of it, and the individual achievements, not because I root for anyone.

I don't even revel when my countrymen win. I find it disgusting when the whole country acts like it is "our" victory, yeah, how did you personally contribute to it? It's not your victory then, you can't claim ownership of it just because the athlete happened to be born in the same country.

Edited by m76

I’ve never watched the Paralympics but I’m also not into sports so don’t really watch the Olympics either. Interesting information about this. It started for British WW2 veterans who had spinal cord injuries in England. Developed after Sir Ludwig Guttmann. I never realized this has been going on for so long!

On 11/3/2021 at 7:47 AM, ZandraJoi said:

I’ve never watched the Paralympics but I’m also not into sports so don’t really watch the Olympics either. Interesting information about this. It started for British WW2 veterans who had spinal cord injuries in England. Developed after Sir Ludwig Guttmann. I never realized this has been going on for so long!

Thanks for the information. Super interesting. 
-- 
I don't watch the Paralympic but don't watch the regular Olympics either. 

--

I thought once about trying out, but wouldn't have qualified. It's called paralympics not disabledlympics. I'm in a wheelchair, but I can still stand up. So that would have qualified as an unfair advantage. Either way, I don't plan on watching. I never watch the regular Olympics either. The only sport I watch on TV is hockey.

Not everything is as honest as you. You reminded me of this story. 
At the 2000 Paralympics, the Spanish basketball team won gold. Only two team members had a disability. 

10 hours ago, Altair said:

Not everything is as honest as you.

I see no reason to lie. I'm honest whether you're going to like it or not. If you don't want brutal honesty, then go somewhere else.

I speak my mind. I always have. That has upset a lot of people too. I don't sugarcoat or beat around the bush. I hate it when people do that. I don't want people to do that with me, so why would I do it with them? I don't care if it's going to hurt my feelings. The only way I can grow and improve is with the unaltered truth. If I try to sing a song, and sound like I'm going through a garbage disposal ass first, then for the love of the Gods, tell me. But if you want me to sugarcoat something, it's not gonna happen. I don't care if I hurt your feelings. If you ask me if those jeans make you look fat, and they do, then I'll tell you that Yes, they make you look fat. If you don't want the unapologetic truth, then I'm the wrong one to come to. It doesn't matter who it is. I'll tell the queen what I think of her without tact. The good, the bad, and the ugly. If that "gets me in the tower", so to speak, then so be it. But being that I'm American, it would most likely get me deported and banned from the country. But hey, as long as I got to see a few sites, and visit my homeland (heritage wise), I would be fine with that. There's plenty of other places in the world to visit, and millions of other things to see.

So what do you do when you want someone to "let you down easy" as they say? You ask your mother. If your mother is no longer in the picture, you ask a wall. What do you do when you want someone to give it to you straight, no matter how that will affect you and the relationship between you? You can come to me if you're brave enough. Like I said, there will be no tact.

The thing people don't like about me is, as already stated, that I don't care if I hurt your feelings. If you ask me an honest question, you get an honest answer. If you ask me an asinine question, then you will get an asinine answer.

A woman got in my face at Walmart one day. It was something to do with my outfit. She kept harassing me about it, and finally asked me why I would wear such clothing. I was done with her at that point. I looked at her and very loudly said "Because my fucking klan hood is dirty!"

I don't have a klan hood as I'm not an inbred racist. But she wanted to act like an idiot, so I treated her like one. There were other events in that whole situation, but nothing that I feel like getting into here, as I'm a violent person.

So do I care, that I may insult you with honesty? Not one damn bit. You asked for honesty, you get honesty.

If you don't want honesty, DON'T INVOLVE ME.

The last Olympics games I missed it, which was last year. I watch mainly the soccer actions, Brazil won it last time out, making it back to back, after winning the 2016 edition. 

I never put my eyes in the screen much for the paralympics, maybe once on my life I watched it. I'll devote time to it in the next edition.