Register Now
StaceyPowers

What are your favorite open worlds?

From the little bit of open world games I’ve played, it’s a difficult toss up between RDR2 and Skyrim. The Witcher just couldn’t grab me, nor could BOTW. I’ll give them another shot at some point in the future, I’m sure. But right now they just don’t do it for me.

Now taking into consideration that I’ve always been a major fantasy nut, Skyrim would seem to be the obvious choice. But RDR2 has a family setting that I have longed for, for damn near 39 years.

So personally I just can’t pick one over the other.

I love apocalypse environments with cities or towns destroyed. I can't get enough of it. And when my mood changes, I enjoy ancient civilization type settings. RDR2 has that unique western environment which I think is a stand alone in the gaming world. I played Gun on ps2, which was ok (Native American controversies). A good space and planets type environment is also good. I've recently been giving Mass Effect 2 another try. Don't know why I stopped first time around. Top 2 would be apocalypse and ancient civilization. 

On 11/7/2020 at 4:35 PM, killamch89 said:

My personal pick is between the Elder Scrolls and Fallout. There is so much depth and lore to both worlds, it's absolutely ridiculous. Once you start roaming around the worlds, reading the books in-game, you tend to learn a lot more about the lore from previous titles in each series as well.

Some of the books are literally game-changing too. After I read the Bear of Markarth, I lost most of my sympathy for the Stormcloaks. It's crazy the details you miss if you don't read in these games.

On 11/6/2020 at 5:46 PM, Reality vs Adventure said:

I've recently been giving Mass Effect 2 another try.

I'm on my first ME playthrough and started ME 2 a couple months back. so far it seems  a huge improvement over ME 1 to me. less busy work, better music and graphics, more fleshed-out characters, more crew-related missions, etc.

6 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

Some of the books are literally game-changing too. After I read the Bear of Markarth, I lost most of my sympathy for the Stormcloaks. It's crazy the details you miss if you don't read in these games.

I learned from Elder Scrolls books about Tonal Magic which derived many magical skills that didn't requite magicka such as the Thu'um, Sword singing especially the Pakratosword technique which sank Yokuda (the original land of the Redguards and this forced them to migrate to Hammerfell). The techniques from this kind of magic are powerful enough to bend the universe to its users will.

I enjoyed dying lights take on open world quite a bit. You really felt like you were in the slums of some poor country when you were exploring the first large map. The map flow was very good as well, you were basically just running from one side of the map to the next hitting zombies with weapons but it never felt boring because you could do it in different ways each time.

The movement system that game offered made it feel very organic when you traversed the world. And the world complemented that by being set in the middle of a south american city, whose types of cities are generally have building very close together. Not to mention that artistically it fit. You felt like you were in the slums, and you felt like you were in the rich district in the second area in comparison.

Dying light was really overlooked in a year of the witcher 3, but it was very solid and had it had a better story would have been serious competition.

58 minutes ago, Empire said:

I enjoyed dying lights take on open world quite a bit. You really felt like you were in the slums of some poor country when you were exploring the first large map. The map flow was very good as well, you were basically just running from one side of the map to the next hitting zombies with weapons but it never felt boring because you could do it in different ways each time.

The movement system that game offered made it feel very organic when you traversed the world. And the world complemented that by being set in the middle of a south american city, whose types of cities are generally have building very close together. Not to mention that artistically it fit. You felt like you were in the slums, and you felt like you were in the rich district in the second area in comparison.

Dying light was really overlooked in a year of the witcher 3, but it was very solid and had it had a better story would have been serious competition.

Finally someone else has a great take on Dying Light. It's one of the best zombie apocalypse open worlds. I was thinking it took place more in the Middle Eastern setting because of the music, hookahs here and there. I came across the game on youtube by chance. Definitely a game many missed out on. 

6 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

Finally someone else has a great take on Dying Light. It's one of the best zombie apocalypse open worlds. I was thinking it took place more in the Middle Eastern setting because of the music, hookahs here and there. I came across the game on youtube by chance. Definitely a game many missed out on. 

I do quite like the original Dying Light especially the parkour mechanics(To this day, it's one of the few first person games I've seen incorporate it so well). The story is pretty solid and overall a very fun but somewhat scary experience. I am in total agreement that it doesn't get nearly the amount of recognition it truly deserves but many people have been awaiting the second game (myself included). My only fear is that should it be released around the same time as Cyberpunk, it may get overshadowed again( by another CDPR title at that).

I need to get Dying Light one of these days. I hear such great things about it, maybe it's time I play it. 

Anyway, my favorite open world games would probably be GTA Vice City, San Andreas, 5, RDR1 and 2, Just Cause 3 & 4, Sleeping Dogs, Skyrim, and so much more. 

1 hour ago, Kane99 said:

I need to get Dying Light one of these days. I hear such great things about it, maybe it's time I play it. 

Anyway, my favorite open world games would probably be GTA Vice City, San Andreas, 5, RDR1 and 2, Just Cause 3 & 4, Sleeping Dogs, Skyrim, and so much more. 

Dying light is a very good game and has hours of content long after finishing the main story. 

1 hour ago, Kane99 said:

The Enhanced edition also has The Following which takes place in the countryside. Pretty cool. And you get to drive a buggy. It also has the addition where you can play as the zombie and attack humans.