Register Now
Kane99

Have you ever won an esports tournament?

Has anyone here ever won an esports tournament? I have never tried myself, but I think if I had the skills and money to enter one, I would at least give it a try. If you won a tournament, how much did you end up winning? What place did you land? And what game was it for? 

I have never participated in tournaments. However, I have played with friends and cousins and we usually play for money. The winner takes all. When the money is involved, the excitement doubles.

On 11/8/2020 at 1:25 AM, Kane99 said:

Has anyone here ever won an esports tournament? I have never tried myself, but I think if I had the skills and money to enter one, I would at least give it a try. If you won a tournament, how much did you end up winning? What place did you land? And what game was it for? 

It's actually alot easier than you think. It's pretty much the same thing as playing online, except against some of the most dangerous players you've faced online (such as top 100 guys/etcetera). 

Key difference between playing online and in tournament is just that the frequency of extremely skilled players is higher in **SOME** tournaments, but don't be surprised if you spend years beefing yourself up to go and win that big tournament and 20% of the players there are at the skill level of the people you body online very easily, because it can and does turn out that way sometimes. 

With some games it's a little like a club, where there's a small group of people that are all very good friends with each other who practically take turns winning big tournaments. Whether or not that is organized I won't speculate about, but it is a fact with some fighting games. All games are hard at first because competing at a world class level is very different from the way you saw some of the games being played as a kid, and it's intimidating at first. But virtually every single field of competition is the same, the highest level players bend and break the internal mechanics of the game to the highest possible standards, try to hide techniques they think will clutch them a tournament, and many of these competitors cozy up to the development staff to arrange title updates and patches if their level of effectiveness starts to dwindle.

Payouts can range anywhere from a few hundred dollars to a 20 million dollar prize pool. 

Edited by ForwardSlashDownPoke

18 minutes ago, ForwardSlashDownPoke said:

It's actually alot easier than you think. It's pretty much the same thing as playing online, except against some of the most dangerous players you've faced online (such as top 100 guys/etcetera). 

Key difference between playing online and in tournament is just that the frequency of extremely skilled players is higher in **SOME** tournaments, but don't be surprised if you spend years beefing yourself up to go and win that big tournament and 20% of the players there are at the skill level of the people you body online very easily, because it can and does turn out that way sometimes. 

With some games it's a little like a club, where there's a small group of people that are all very good friends with each other who practically take turns winning big tournaments. Whether or not that is organized I won't speculate about, but it is a fact with some fighting games. All games are hard at first because competing at a world class level is very different from the way you saw some of the games being played as a kid, and it's intimidating at first. But virtually every single field of competition is the same, the highest level players bend and break the internal mechanics of the game to the highest possible standards, try to hide techniques they think will clutch them a tournament, and many of these competitors cozy up to the development staff to arrange title updates and patches if their level of effectiveness starts to dwindle.

Payouts can range anywhere from a few hundred dollars to a 20 million dollar prize pool. 

I'm tempted to give it a try, maybe I can find some tournaments near me I can enter. I just wouldn't know where to begin in terms of searching in my area. As well, I figure there's not many esports leagues in my area just yet anyway. But yeah, color me intrigued now. 

17 hours ago, Kane99 said:

I'm tempted to give it a try, maybe I can find some tournaments near me I can enter. I just wouldn't know where to begin in terms of searching in my area. As well, I figure there's not many esports leagues in my area just yet anyway. But yeah, color me intrigued now. 

I would just get a competitive title and play online at first.

31 minutes ago, ForwardSlashDownPoke said:

I would just get a competitive title and play online at first.

Would you do that right through the games itself? Essentially playing ranked modes until I get far enough? I wish I was good at multiplayer games. I tend to suck when there is a challenge. I remember playing COD a lot back in the day and when I got onto a kill streak, I'd start to feel the pressure. I remember getting a nuke in one of the games and immediately freaked out, I don't know if I could even take the pressure of competing against pros. 

I wish I could play well enough to participate in an e-sports competition but right now I suck at it , but I noticed I play much better with the single player campaign but when I switch to multiplayer mode and I am no good.