Register Now
The Blackangel

Fallout 4 - Worth Getting?

I was at Walmart last night, and looking through their games section. I picked this up to look at, and it seemed intriguing. Now I've never been the biggest fan of apocalyptic games, but I was somewhat impressed. I haven't bought it, because I honestly know nothing about the series. But to those that have played Fallout, is Fallout 4 worth getting, or is this a big pass?

For me, I always had weight issues in my inventory which is the reason I stopped playing it. But you don't have to go around and pick up everything. If you want to city build then you will need those supplies. You can have a companion with you to carry weight and help fight. There is always something to find somewhere and you can use a dog to sniff it out. I think the game is something worth trying. It is a love or hate game. I had the same weight problem in Fallout 3 which I also stopped playing. Fallout 4 has better graphics, shooting mechanics, and city building. I thought the city building was a cool addition. Maybe try the cheaper Fallout 3? Much better graphics in 4 though. It's just one of those games you may love and another may hate. 

Environment is cool; city build; you get companions; change outfits; build weapons; monsters and bandits; protect your community and others; hack computers and pick locks; story and quests; hop into armor suit to destroy...

Fallout 4 is a great game imo. I didn't play it all the way through, but the time I had with it was fun! It's probably pretty cheap at this point too, considering it's a 5 year old game. You could probably get it used for even cheaper.

Anyway, it's a fun RPG/Action game, that I'd recommend playing.

24 minutes ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

For me, I always had weight issues in my inventory which is the reason I stopped playing it. But you don't have to go around and pick up everything. If you want to city build then you will need those supplies. You can have a companion with you to carry weight and help fight. There is always something to find somewhere and you can use a dog to sniff it out. I think the game is something worth trying. It is a love or hate game. I had the same weight problem in Fallout 3 which I also stopped playing. Fallout 4 has better graphics, shooting mechanics, and city building. I thought the city building was a cool addition. Maybe try the cheaper Fallout 3? Much better graphics in 4 though. It's just one of those games you may love and another may hate. 

Environment is cool; city build; you get companions; change outfits; build weapons; monsters and bandits; protect your community and others; hack computers and pick locks; story and quests; hop into armor suit to destroy...

I don't remember there being city building. Wasn't it more like settlements you could build? I don't recall there being a full on city builder. But I could be wrong. 

10 hours ago, Crazycrab said:

I personally didn't like Fallout 4 as much as Fallout 3 and New Vegas.  To much frustrating busy work and the story didn't suck me in like it did with most other Bethesda games.

Can you elaborate? I'm also trying to decide whether to get Fallout 4.

On 11/9/2020 at 6:08 AM, The Blackangel said:

I was at Walmart last night, and looking through their games section. I picked this up to look at, and it seemed intriguing. Now I've never been the biggest fan of apocalyptic games, but I was somewhat impressed. I haven't bought it, because I honestly know nothing about the series. But to those that have played Fallout, is Fallout 4 worth getting, or is this a big pass?

Like you, I am trying to decide whether to play Fallout 4. But I can recommend Fallout 3 and especially Fallout NV. But NV is very very buggy on my PS3, so I'd suggest a different platform for it.

11 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

Can you elaborate? I'm also trying to decide whether to get Fallout 4.

It's ideas are great and a technical step up... in theory, but they just don't work all that well in actual gameplay.  I think a lot of that comes down to it's aging engine that is struggling more and more to keep up with current gaming technology.  So good ideas like a new speech system with fully voiced player character, more loot, a new settlement management aspect, improved mechanics for things like Power Armour and a full crafting system just don't work as well as you might think.  In fact they are often so often distractioing that you barely even focus on the main story at all..

You spend WAY more time doing tedious busy work like gathering crafting supplies and maintaining your weapoms and armour, the new dialogue system actually gives you less choices and the building system is a nightmare that makes it almost impossible to get things lined up exactly how you want them.  Good intentions but just not as good in terms of execution.

Edited by Crazycrab

Yes! If you love the Fallout series and games that allow you to explore it's a great game. The story may not be as good as previous games but it still lives up to the standard. The companions are great and their story lines really add to the game as well as some of the side quests like the Silver Shroud. I've played over 200 hours and it still keeps me interested. 

If you are going to get the dlc I would go with Far Harbor because it has one of the best storylines (maybe even better than the base game) and if you want to try your hand at building settlements I would go with wasteland workshop.

13 hours ago, Crazycrab said:

It's ideas are great and a technical step up... in theory, but they just don't work all that well in actual gameplay.  I think a lot of that comes down to it's aging engine that is struggling more and more to keep up with current gaming technology.  So good ideas like a new speech system with fully voiced player character, more loot, a new settlement management aspect, improved mechanics for things like Power Armour and a full crafting system just don't work as well as you might think.  In fact they are often so often distractioing that you barely even focus on the main story at all..

You spend WAY more time doing tedious busy work like gathering crafting supplies and maintaining your weapoms and armour, the new dialogue system actually gives you less choices and the building system is a nightmare that makes it almost impossible to get things lined up exactly how you want them.  Good intentions but just not as good in terms of execution.

You are not forced to do any of those things. Settlement building is optional apart from some very minimal tutorial tasks. And you can always ask vendors to repair your stuff for caps. Or simply throw away them and switch to another weapon. That's the best part of RPGs, that you can choose how you approach things.

On 11/11/2020 at 2:29 PM, m76 said:

You are not forced to do any of those things. Settlement building is optional apart from some very minimal tutorial tasks. And you can always ask vendors to repair your stuff for caps. Or simply throw away them and switch to another weapon. That's the best part of RPGs, that you can choose how you approach things.

This kind of reminds me of my complaints about DA Inquisition's million fetch quests. They really disrupt the flow of the game, but I know on my next playthrough I'll just ignore most of them and the game will be much more enjoyable.

22 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

This kind of reminds me of my complaints about DA Inquisition's million fetch quests. They really disrupt the flow of the game, but I know on my next playthrough I'll just ignore most of them and the game will be much more enjoyable.

I just can't ignore the settlement building though as I can establish my own military might. I can channel my inner Napoleon...