Register Now
StaceyPowers

Games where you find it hard to ignore optional busy work

On a thread about Fallout 4, @Crazycrab mentioned tedious work, and @m76 mentioned not being forced to do tedious work. I haven't played Fallout 4, but I can relate to the whole issue, being as DA Inquisition is quite similar with respect to this issue. While I know I can ignore a lot of the tedious fetch quests, as even a mild completionist, I find it hard to do so. Who else here has a hard time ignoring optional busy work in games, and in which games?

I don't mind busy work if it's fun. Like in AC Odyssey, I methodically cleared and looted almost all camps, because it was fun. It's not repetition of a task that is the problem, it's repetition of a mundane, boring task.

On the other hand I find it extremely easy to ignore busywork if the game isn't forcing me. I always ignore collectibles for example, meaning I don't go out of my way to find them, I only pick up the ones that happen to be in my path, while exploring. 

The last game I did a completionist playthrough of was GTA: Vice City I think. 

The only game where it was impossible to ignore most collecting tasks was DA:I, because you needed almost everything to progress properly. Fallout 4 is a far different beast than DA:I, and far more enjoyable IMO.

Edited by m76

I know your technically not "forced" to do busy work in Fallout 4 but If you ignore them ypu end up with a ton of loose quests just hanging and I find it very distracting.  This is true of a lot of games and normally I can deal with it, but in Fallout 4 it's tedious and relays on mechanics like the settlement building that simply don't work very well.  Skyrim's Hearthfire system is simpler and in my opinion much better but even there it can get a little annoying.

I like games like AC Odyssey, Witcher 3 or Horizon Zero Dawn where you can get all your busy work done while on your adventure.  You dont feel like your having to stop and start by doing side quests and/or activities.

Busy work hard games keep you on your feet and you can but in far more hours into the game and still not get to finish. It's like a scrap Mechanic where you build whatever you want and I always think about what or how to build my veh /homes. When I'm not playing the game I'm working hard in planning. It's a great game that keeps you on your feet and at times makes my brain explodes.

I have that problem with the side quests in FF8 as well as several Zelda games. In FF8 there are several that I just have to complete. The CC Club, Deep Sea Research Center, Cactuar Island, Obel Lake, Shumi Tribe, and Centra Ruins just to name a few. I also have an issue when there's a rare item I want such as Ribbons.

With Zelda games, specifically Ocarina, I have to get all skulltulas, all bottles, upgrades (quivers for example), Epona, and the BigGoron Sword. None of this is a requirement in any way, but I have to get them. In Link's Awakening, all secret seashells and all heart pieces.

Castlevania SOTN is another. There are certain drop items that I will spend hours trying to get. Swords, armor, relics, special items such as rings, and a ton of other stuff. I have to have at least one of everything in my inventory.

As @Crazycrab said, it gets very distracting.