Register Now
Zak

Gaming good for mental health

Ever had a parent or similar lament your choice of hobby? Ever had someone say that you'll suffer for a focus on videogames? Feel free to send them this and tell them to STFU. Video gaming can benefit mental health. 

https://www.theguardian.com/games/2020/nov/16/video-gaming-can-benefit-mental-health-find-oxford-academics

The study was done in the realm of videogame addiction and the researchers found that “if you play four hours a day of Animal Crossing, you’re a much happier human being," and I'm sure you could apply that to any other game too. 

Other than a sense of wellbeing, what other benefits are there to be gained from gaming?

Depends. I think this can go two ways. Allot of people do struggle with Major Depressive disorder. Gaming is a go to when they are in an episode. It feels like it distracts them from real life for a bit. That distraction helps pulls them out of there depression. It is the reason why many have resorted to drug abuse in the past or been dealing with drugs, then again other things you may think off. Obviously, need an alternative to that. Staying in bed all day seems to make the depression worse, and exercise is so difficult when you have episodes where it takes all your energy to get out of bed. or maybe try to at least take a walk, and play video games. Of course, there's still the demands of work, then they have kids and everyday life to have to attend to.

Then it comes to the right games to play, games can make it worse or games to relax. 

Being wheelchair bound, it gives me something to occupy my mind and break up endless days with nothing else to do. Also it can give a person a sense of accomplishment and thus raise their morale. Which in turn could help them become successful ITL as well. Higher morale = higher productivity.

On 11/19/2020 at 9:48 AM, AndreiMirfi said:

Finally evidence!

Okay, now to be honest, gaming isn't good for EVERYONE. It's very bad for the addictive ones.

There are some times when you actually need to make a break from gaming and think about other stuff.

That's a very valid point. Some of them even throw tantrums and destroy everything in sight over losing a game. Definitely not for everyone.

I completely agree, gaming is good for mental health. There are many sources, besides the one from the guardian, that provide evidence for this theory. Just look at this story from Sky News too - https://news.sky.com/story/playing-video-games-can-be-good-for-your-mental-health-study-finds-12133731

On 11/18/2020 at 3:41 PM, The Blackangel said:

Being wheelchair bound, it gives me something to occupy my mind and break up endless days with nothing else to do. Also it can give a person a sense of accomplishment and thus raise their morale. Which in turn could help them become successful ITL as well. Higher morale = higher productivity.

That was supposed to be IRL not ITL. I don't know what the fuck ITL would stand for. Maybe In True Life but that's not really appealing.

On 11/21/2020 at 5:04 PM, StaceyPowers said:

I treat my OCD and insomnia by gaming. It has been more successful than anything else I've tried. A friend told me her therapist actually recommended gaming for OCD too, so this is a thing.

And teachers used to say that gaming couldn't help you in any way...

Gaming is a source of entertainment, ofcourse it’s good for your mental health. It’s a way to escape all real life worries for some. Ofcourse, if you’re addicted, it can be damaging to your mental health, but the same applies to an addiction to anything. The problem in that case is the addiction itself, not gaming.

2 hours ago, ARx182 said:

Gaming is a source of entertainment, ofcourse it’s good for your mental health. It’s a way to escape all real life worries for some. Ofcourse, if you’re addicted, it can be damaging to your mental health, but the same applies to an addiction to anything. The problem in that case is the addiction itself, not gaming.

And that's the issue we have in society nowadays - the lack of self control and self discipline.