Register Now
Alexander.

What's your Top 5 video games of all time?

FF8

Zelda (almost all)

Q*Bert

RDR2

Asteroids

+++++++++++++++++

I play these games for many reasons. With Zelda, it has been a favorite series since the NES debuted it in the west.

FF8 initially wasn't a game I was interested in, as I thought it was "too open" for me. Like too open world. But after I played it once, I was hooked. It's a perfect mix of fantasy (no pun intended) and sci-fi.

Q*Bert and Asteroids are games I remember from my early childhood on playing Atari and Colecovision. I loved them so much. I have both on my phone, and while it's not the same, I still play the hell out of them.

RDR2 is an emotional game for me. It gives me a sense of family that I never had. And with as much as I hate him, I still care for Micah.
Hosea, Lenny, Tilly, Mary Beth, John, Abigail, Dutch, and everyone else are people I love. I cry every time I play the game as there are things that simply break my heart. But it's worth it to feel and see a family that I care about.

DeusEx - An immersive sim the like I haven't seen before or since. The game's world is so complex and so well designed that there are so many layers to peel back that I'd find major secrets and opportunities even after playing through the game a dozen times. The player is not restricted by the game developers, they just give you options to solve problems, and all of the problems in the game have multiple solutions, depending on your acquired skills or choices. And I don't mean two options,  most problems can be solved at least in half a dozen ways. Such a freedom is unheard of in any other game. You think freedom means open world? No, often those are the most restrictive games. Here choices truly matter. Countless NPCs lives depend on your choices. Choices that are not handed to you on a plate like CHOOSE A / B or CHOOSE KILL / NOT KILL. You just seamlessly do something and you might not even realize that you had other options.

Mafia the City of Lost Heaven - A testament to good storytelling. That is only reinforced by the abysmal remake released this year. You can tell the same story badly or well. This game immerses you in the world of the Mafia and prohibition in the early nineteenth century. While telling a story of intrigue and respect. A story where every character is complex and not just tokens for some purpose.

Mass Effect 2 - Mass Effect 1 was OK, but this is where things get serious. More of a character oriented story which many people dissed the game for, well that's exactly why I liked it. It feels much more human sized, and down to earth. Gritty, yet uplifting at times. Plus this has the best action / combat from all three games. The first is too clunky, too RPG, the third is too looter shooter like. This strikes the perfect balance.

Transport Tycoon - I blame this game for many of my bad grades in primary and high school, all the way to college it's so addictive. It's so much fun in freeplay mode, to build complex systems of transportation and see it work efficiently. I'd often just sit there watch my creations for years.  I haven't played the game in recent years, but still this is the game I played actively for most years ever. At least 20.

XCOM 2 - I've played this game a hundred times, and at some point I thought I'd never get bored of it. I still go back to it from to time. The procedurally generated maps make sure there are no two totally identical missions Even the ones with fixed maps play out very differently each time you try it. The old XCOM elitists often diss the game as being too easy, but I never felt that. Especially for beginners it can be daunting. And on highest difficulty it is absolutely punishing. I don't even like to play on that difficulty despite sinking over 1000 hours in the game. What makes the game fun for me, is that it is like a big game of chess. Trying to find the perfect strategy on each mission that results in no casualties in your side, or even completing missions in the least turns possible, or completing it without the enemy being able to fire off a single shot.

I can't with a good conscience leave without making a few honourable mentions:

Max Payne - the purest no-nonsense action game
The Last of Us Part II - they just hit all the notes I expected, and even the ones I hoped
Alien Isolation - the scariest game ever, with the most menacing enemy
System Shock II - A precursor to DeusEx, it's similar but you don't have as much freedom. Every bioshock game that you ever liked is a ripoff of this game.
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Roam free, explore and mod
Test Drive Unlimited - I was always a fan of street racing games, and this is the ultimate street racing game so far. Hopefully only until solar crown comes out.
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands - Total immersion as a government gun for hire in south america.

Any of these might sneak on my list on another day. About the only game that has an irrevocable space on the list is DeusEx.

Edited by m76

This is a tough one but I'll give it a go...

1. Metal Gear Solid
  2. Devil May Cry
  3. Mario 64
  4. Castlevania: Symphony of the night
  5. Deus Ex: Human Revolution

And for my honorable mentions, here's a few:

• Skyrim
  • FF8
  • Mortal Kombat Trilogy
  • Super Smash Bros: Melee
  • Devil May Cry 4
  • Age Of Empires 2

Go on my steam page and see the most hours I put into the games then that answers all what this thread is about. But I do the list here anyway.

1. Flight sims, FSX, P3D and MSFS2020
  2. Trucking, ETS or ATS
  3. Scrap Mechanic
  4. BF2 🙂 
  5. Hell Let Loose 

So, that's that.  

11 hours ago, Empire said:

Go on my steam page and see the most hours I put into the games then that answers all what this thread is about. But I do the list here anyway.

1. Flight sims, FSX, P3D and MSFS2020
  2. Trucking, ETS or ATS
  3. Scrap Mechanic
  4. BF2 🙂 
  5. Hell Let Loose 

So, that's that.  

I've never played Hell let Loose before (at least, not that I can remember). What kind of game is it?

1. BioShock Infinite - Story, characters, philosophy, ambiance.

2. TLOU - Story, characters, gameplay.

3. Bioshocks 1/2 - Story, characters, philosophy, ambiance.

4. Fallout NV - Great open world and factions, well-developed companions.

5. Quake III Arena - Oldest game I've played the longest. Feels like home by now.

On 11/29/2020 at 2:35 AM, killamch89 said:

I've never played Hell let Loose before (at least, not that I can remember). What kind of game is it?

Can it it from steam and on sale as we speak, and so Join the ever expanding experience of Hell Let Loose, a hardcore World War Two first person shooter with epic battles of 100 players with infantry, tanks, artillery, a dynamically shifting front line and a unique resource based RTS-inspired meta-game. Very good game where you have to work as a team and get the job done. All server based

4 hours ago, Empire said:

Can it it from steam and on sale as we speak, and so Join the ever expanding experience of Hell Let Loose, a hardcore World War Two first person shooter with epic battles of 100 players with infantry, tanks, artillery, a dynamically shifting front line and a unique resource based RTS-inspired meta-game. Very good game where you have to work as a team and get the job done. All server based

I actually checked out some videos of it and it looks like a pretty fun game. I mean, kind of like Planetside 2 with lesser people. I was once in a fight in Planetside 2 with over 400 people playing simultaneously. It was one of the most fun and surreal rounds I've ever played in.

If we're doing honorable mentions then I have a few:

Blaster Master

Legacy Of The Wizard

Mega Man 3

Contra

Dantes Inferno

TMNT 1

F-Zero

1080 Snowboarding

Castlevania series

Conker's Bad Fur Day

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice