Register Now
Alexander.

Would you take a job as video game tester?

I wouldn't call it a prefession. I have mentioned a few times that I'm part of a crew that makes games a couple times a year at most. When the game has been written, we all test it. We look for bugs and glitches. We think up easter eggs to add in. My actual role is a "thinker" as they call me. I don't know how to script, but I have a very active and creative imagination. I have actually written 2 full length novels, several short stories, and a hell of a lot of unconventional poetry. The guys that write have actually drawn inspiration for a couple games from my stories.

But if I was able to get paid to play video games, I would jump at the chance.

Not anymore. When I was fresh out of school and looking for a job, I would've. But I'd have taken any job back then.

Game testing is a horrible profession. It's underpaid and holds zero respect among developers. And no it's not about playing games early. Most of the time you have to playtest certain situations over and over again, often without context. Trying to produce or re-produce bugs, or check if certain changes work or not. It's a highly repetitive and boring job, that will probably make you hate games before long if done as a profession.

I'd love to play through unreleased but comlpeted games early too, but unfortunately being a game tester is not just about that. By the time you get a finished game in your hands, you are hating every inch of that game.

Edited by m76

9 hours ago, m76 said:

Not anymore. When I was fresh out of school and looking for a job, I would've. But I'd have taken any job back then.

Game testing is a horrible profession. It's underpaid and holds zero respect among developers. And no it's not about playing games early. Most of the time you have to playtest certain situations over and over again, often without context. Trying to produce or re-produce bugs, or check if certain changes work or not. It's a highly repetitive and boring job, that will probably make you hate games before long if done as a profession.

I'd love to play through unreleased but comlpeted games early too, but unfortunately being a game tester is not just about that. By the time you get a finished game in your hands, you are hating every inch of that game.

I've also done my research on video game testing and you're completely right - it's a horrible profession in terms of how the employee is treated and the benefits they receive. I used to say yes when I was naive as to what this position entails but once I found out, I'd never go near it with a long pole.

In a way, I would say that we as gamers ARE the game testers. We buy games as they hit the shelves, we discover the bugs, and the majority determines how good the game is as a whole. The developers listen most of the time, and take the steps to fix the issues. After fixing said issues, they release an updated version, and the whole process begins again. For example, Skyrim on PS3 had more bugs than an anthill. But when they released it for PS4/Xbox One/Switch it was for the most part fixed. I'm not saying it's not still buggy as hell, but it's a hell of an improvement over the PS3 version. But they listened to us when we "tested" if you will, the game.

Our experiences and impressions with any given game, is the testing phase. Some are successes and lead to a franchise. Some are dead in the water and are never heard from again.

FRANCHISES - FInal Fantasy, Assassins Creed, Call Of Duty, Castlevania, The Legend Of Zelda
DEAD IN THE WATER - Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Dantes Inferno

Edited by The Blackangel

11 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

In a way, I would say that we as gamers ARE the game testers. We buy games as they hit the shelves, we discover the bugs, and the majority determines how good the game is as a whole. The developers listen most of the time, and take the steps to fix the issues. After fixing said issues, they release an updated version, and the whole process begins again. For example, Skyrim on PS3 had more bugs than an anthill. But when they released it for PS4/Xbox One/Switch it was for the most part fixed. I'm not saying it's not still buggy as hell, but it's a hell of an improvement over the PS3 version. But they listened to us when we "tested" if you will, the game.

Our experiences and impressions with any given game, is the testing phase. Some are successes and lead to a franchise. Some are dead in the water and are never heard from again.

FRANCHISES - FInal Fantasy, Assassins Creed, Call Of Duty, Castlevania, The Legend Of Zelda
DEAD IN THE WATER - Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Dantes Inferno

Back in the days, most developers would listen. Nowadays, they'll make the same mistake repeatedly until they start suffering for it and they try to make minimal changes.

On 11/22/2020 at 3:33 PM, m76 said:

Got there before I did.  From I know, we're talking about properly tedious stuff here. Move the character a little bit, have the character face all directions, move into all stances, face all directions for each again, move them slightly, rince and repeat for every pixel of space in that room.  The fantasy rarely lives up to the reality, but that's especially true with video game testing. 

Looked into it many times for a free position and see if you get paid a good amount to able to work from home and or even do streams. However there are more then what meets the eye and the requirements can be high. I just never did signup. 

8 hours ago, Shagger said:

Got there before I did.  From I know, we're talking about properly tedious stuff here. Move the character a little bit, have the character face all directions, move into all stances, face all directions for each again, move them slightly, rince and repeat for every pixel of space in that room.  The fantasy rarely lives up to the reality, but that's especially true with video game testing. 

Game testing is mostly about doing things in games that you'd normally never do while actually playing a game.

I imagine that this would be the dream of most young gamers! To be able to get paid for the games that you love playing, it must be an incredible feeling. But what happens when you have to test games that you do not enjoy playing? Also, would it to be difficult to hold impartial views on a particular game that you love so much. These are the questions I would be asking when considering such a career path. I know for sure I would find it difficult to criticize a game I have close feelings for.

Even doing 3 to 5 hours a day streaming can drain myself out. It has happen many times where I stream everyday for 3 to 4 hours a day, or even at times 6 hours. Then when not streaming dealing with other jobs and work and end of that week I just feel like I'm about to flip. 

7 hours ago, Empire said:

Even doing 3 to 5 hours a day streaming can drain myself out. It has happen many times where I stream everyday for 3 to 4 hours a day, or even at times 6 hours. Then when not streaming dealing with other jobs and work and end of that week I just feel like I'm about to flip. 

The difference with streaming is that you can stop at any time of your choosing. A game tester doesn't have a say in what they can or can't do and that is even more stressful.

It was actually a dream of mine for a while to become a game tester. But when I found out that you're stuck on the same section for a long period of time, I dropped that interest quickly. I think it would still be cool to be hired by a gaming company, but that would go away fast when I'm stuck doing the same tedious task for hours. 

I would rather be involved with working on story, or working with the ideas. Or maybe help with sponsorships and events around it.