Register Now
StaceyPowers

Do you feel guilty if you harm certain video game characters?

On 11/22/2020 at 6:11 PM, The Blackangel said:

RDR2 royally pissed me off tonight. Outside St Denis there was a man who needed help. He was at deaths door, and needed someone to get him to the doctor. I picked him up and raced to town. While I was on my way, some asshole rode right in front of me which sent both me and him flying off my horse. The crash killed him and I got a fucking murder charge. I had to race like hell because every cop, bounty hunter, and asshole with a gun was on my ass. That’s fucking bullshit. In trying to help someone, they die due to something that was none of my fault, and I’m charged with a crime as a result.

That’s the last god damn time I try to help someone.

When I first started playing RDR2 I was in a town and couldn't stop my horse and ran a guy over. The law went after me and next thing I know I'm killing the whole town. Oops. They ended up killing me anyways. All I wanted was a stroll through the town. 

To some extent I do. But I don't take games as serious as most other forms of media. I do feel guilt for killing an innocent person in game, but a bad person, not so much. When I see kids playing M rated games, like GTA V for example, it does weird me out seeing kids killing npcs like I did as a kid. 

On 12/9/2020 at 3:16 PM, Reality vs Adventure said:

When I first started playing RDR2 I was in a town and couldn't stop my horse and ran a guy over. The law went after me and next thing I know I'm killing the whole town. Oops. They ended up killing me anyways. All I wanted was a stroll through the town. 

That sounds an awful lot like Van Horn, or a small possibility of it being Annesburg.

Edited by The Blackangel

Happened to me in GTA 4 LOL, for people that are familiar in the game (Spoiler alert, don't read if you somehow didn't play the game yet), once you get the decision to kill either  Francis or Derrick (the mcreary brothers), i killed Francis and regretted later ☹️

On 11/22/2020 at 4:24 PM, m76 said:

You absolutely cannot compare this to films and tv, you have no choice there, you just observe. You can feel bad for characters but why would you feel guilty?

It was a funny observation I had with what he said, with movies it's already set to happen that way as it's all scripted. 

But in playing video games, the decision is completely yours to make unless it's a situation where the decision was forced on you.