Register Now
StaceyPowers

Play styles that are surprisingly effective?

Have you ever thought that a particular play style a game allows for might be really ineffectual, and then been surprised to watch someone execute it really well? Like for example, I always assumed archery in Skyrim was a bit of a joke, but I’ve been watching someone else play incredibly effectively with it. It turns out I’m just a terrible aim.

Physical attacks in FF8.

For the longest time I used GF’s in boss fights as well as against strong monsters. I didn’t use physical attacks unless my GF’s were dead. But a year or two ago, I found that physical attacks are the best for my play style. Before I even finish disc 3 Squall is the only one I have set to summon a GF. My other two are set with other abilities. The only reason I have Squall able to summon is because I always junction Doimtrain to him.

On 11/21/2020 at 6:37 PM, killamch89 said:

Magic in Skyrim is also surprisingly efficient but the downside is the things you'll require can be accessed in the mid to late game so at lower levels, it sucks quite frankly.

I find conjuration very helpful from pretty early on. But I'm struggling with destruction magic.

On 11/22/2020 at 5:24 AM, The Blackangel said:

Physical attacks in FF8.

For the longest time I used GF’s in boss fights as well as against strong monsters. I didn’t use physical attacks unless my GF’s were dead. But a year or two ago, I found that physical attacks are the best for my play style. Before I even finish disc 3 Squall is the only one I have set to summon a GF. My other two are set with other abilities. The only reason I have Squall able to summon is because I always junction Doimtrain to him.

That was supposed to have been DOOMTRAIN not Doimtrain.

21 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

I find conjuration very helpful from pretty early on. But I'm struggling with destruction magic.

One trick you can try is using circle of protection and getting your magic absorption up to 100 % and use either lightning storm or any of the other master spells and you'll be wiping out enemies in no time. Honestly though, I find the ritual stone to be one of if not the best ability to pair with a conjuration build and throw in the aetherial crown and you can reanimate hordes of corpses.

15 hours ago, killamch89 said:

One trick you can try is using circle of protection and getting your magic absorption up to 100 % and use either lightning storm or any of the other master spells and you'll be wiping out enemies in no time. Honestly though, I find the ritual stone to be one of if not the best ability to pair with a conjuration build and throw in the aetherial crown and you can reanimate hordes of corpses.

How is it I've played this game for years and don't know what the aetherial crown is? lol. Oh, it's from Dawnguard. I'm on my first playthrough of that. Exciting.

9 minutes ago, StaceyPowers said:

How is it I've played this game for years and don't know what the aetherial crown is? lol. Oh, it's from Dawnguard. I'm on my first playthrough of that. Exciting.

Yeah, you can have an additional standing stone power saved to the helmet. In other words, when you take off the helmet and put it back on, you can basically use the Ritual Stone power more than once a day. 

48 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

Yeah, you can have an additional standing stone power saved to the helmet. In other words, when you take off the helmet and put it back on, you can basically use the Ritual Stone power more than once a day. 

That's awesome. Btw, I love the storm call lightning spell you mentioned before, but I forgot where to get it. I've only gotten it on one playthrough. Another good one is Wall of Flames, but I think that one is only findable as random loot?

5 minutes ago, StaceyPowers said:

That's awesome. Btw, I love the storm call lightning spell you mentioned before, but I forgot where to get it. I've only gotten it on one playthrough. Another good one is Wall of Flames, but I think that one is only findable as random loot?

Here's a video of how to find the Storm Call shout. If I remember correctly, it's somewhere near Riften and the Wall Of Flames is found in random loot.

6 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

Here's a video of how to find the Storm Call shout. If I remember correctly, it's somewhere near Riften and the Wall Of Flames is found in random loot.

What a funny coincidence. My partner is playing through Forelhost for the first time right now. It's driving him crazy, so I think he'll be excited to know he can go grab Storm Call right nearby.

On 11/21/2020 at 11:47 PM, StaceyPowers said:

Have you ever thought that a particular play style a game allows for might be really ineffectual, and then been surprised to watch someone execute it really well? Like for example, I always assumed archery in Skyrim was a bit of a joke, but I’ve been watching someone else play incredibly effectively with it. It turns out I’m just a terrible aim.

Seriously - if you're actually very good at archery 🎯, it's one of the best stealth ways to take out your opponents with less sound.