Register Now
killamch89

The Ryzen HP Laptops have finally been released

WHen it comes to PC I rather put most of my money into a desktop, regards laptops I get a laptop for everyday use and nothing more. basic stuff really. So I'm not fussed if it's AMD or intel. If the cost and performance is good and gets the job done then I'm happy.

Laptop that I use now is an intel i5 anyway LOL And want to see what the results are for AMD laptops 

7 hours ago, Empire said:

WHen it comes to PC I rather put most of my money into a desktop, regards laptops I get a laptop for everyday use and nothing more. basic stuff really. So I'm not fussed if it's AMD or intel. If the cost and performance is good and gets the job done then I'm happy.

Laptop that I use now is an intel i5 anyway LOL And want to see what the results are for AMD laptops 

I'm kind of different because I do video editing and animation videos with my laptop so the laptop in question has to be very powerful. Those applications tend to use up a lot of resources and most ordinary laptops would throttle even with a laptop cooling pad so that's why I mention laptops like these.

7 hours ago, killamch89 said:

I'm kind of different because I do video editing and animation videos with my laptop so the laptop in question has to be very powerful. Those applications tend to use up a lot of resources and most ordinary laptops would throttle even with a laptop cooling pad so that's why I mention laptops like these.

From that then you looking at a CPU to do multitasking work and AMD seems to be the all-winner-for-that. Intel are good for gaming but they have less cores and threads to what AMD offers and for your needs more cores and threads is what you need more. But in terms of laptop, no idea what AMD has came up with.

13 hours ago, Empire said:

From that then you looking at a CPU to do multitasking work and AMD seems to be the all-winner-for-that. Intel are good for gaming but they have less cores and threads to what AMD offers and for your needs more cores and threads is what you need more. But in terms of laptop, no idea what AMD has came up with.

Actually, most modern video editing/animation software are more dependent on GPU performance than up to a few years ago where they were almost exclusively dependent on CPU performance. There's the RP-15 from Eluekatronics that's a really good offering but it's over 1000 USD. There's also the Legion 5 and a couple of others. I do agree that AMD is the king of productivity when it comes to CPUs.

Not a fan of HP laptops, thanks to their design which is nothing short of inviting heating. I'd stick with asus and MSI for the gaming laptops. Because HP just makes laptops that goes into servicing after some time and end up in cycle of maintenance. 

19 hours ago, skyfire said:

Not a fan of HP laptops, thanks to their design which is nothing short of inviting heating. I'd stick with asus and MSI for the gaming laptops. Because HP just makes laptops that goes into servicing after some time and end up in cycle of maintenance. 

To be honest, Asus has the same heating issues (at least their Ryzen laptops do) and they've gotten plenty of flack for it. I do somewhat agree that HP laptops have provided a fair amount of consumers (me included) scarred by their faulty products.

2 hours ago, killamch89 said:

To be honest, Asus has the same heating issues (at least their Ryzen laptops do) and they've gotten plenty of flack for it. I do somewhat agree that HP laptops have provided a fair amount of consumers (me included) scarred by their faulty products.

Ryzen's heating was specific to some products due to poor body design. I do have one asus box. No heating issues noticed so far. The problem with HP is that regardless of entry level laptop or gaming or premium business .. all of them suffer heating issues. 

On 11/29/2020 at 9:02 AM, skyfire said:

My older Laptops from the young days of y life are HP, and they are good back in the day. Even till today, they are good. I agree that they are not good looking but most of the time you be looking at the screen and keyboard. Design is not that important if the product can last and performance is good. But since I last had a HP was over 15 years ago. my Granddad as a HP and it;s ending it's 2 years life, that's a AMD and it was cheap.

7 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Asus has the same heating issues (at least their Ryzen laptops do) and they've gotten plenty of flack for it.

AMDs are meant to be higher temps at times, but major brands will have the right cooling for it. 

On 11/30/2020 at 7:24 AM, Empire said:

My older Laptops from the young days of y life are HP, and they are good back in the day. Even till today, they are good. I agree that they are not good looking but most of the time you be looking at the screen and keyboard. Design is not that important if the product can last and performance is good. But since I last had a HP was over 15 years ago. my Granddad as a HP and it;s ending it's 2 years life, that's a AMD and it was cheap.

I've owned HP laptops in the past and have encountered my fair share of issues with them but its within the realm of what can happen with any other brand of laptops. Asus' cooling in their Ryzen laptops was practically non-existent and they were being called out for it but the MSI Ryzen laptops run pretty cool so it depends on the manufacturer.

On 11/30/2020 at 5:54 PM, Empire said:

Its not design issue, HP laptops seriously do have more after sales issues once they pass the warranty of year or so. Heating is common with them too. It's just that people who have casual usage don't notice this. I use laptop 7 days a week barely with reboot... and so often less reboots based laptops get heated. I never noticed heating with Lenovo, Dell but I noticed them with HP. 

Some will have issues and others don't. But if your system is on all day and in fact 24 hours then maybe it's just not going to keep cool, then again why it shouldn't. I have an Asus laptop myself that is on 12 if not more hours a day and it goes off when I'm in bed or not at home. Mostly it has Chrome tabs open and discord and maybe a game running in the background and hearing the fans spinning when it starts working hard, all in all, no heating issues - just battery not working more than an hour.

On 12/8/2020 at 7:07 PM, Empire said:

Some will have issues and others don't. But if your system is on all day and in fact 24 hours then maybe it's just not going to keep cool, then again why it shouldn't. I have an Asus laptop myself that is on 12 if not more hours a day and it goes off when I'm in bed or not at home. Mostly it has Chrome tabs open and discord and maybe a game running in the background and hearing the fans spinning when it starts working hard, all in all, no heating issues - just battery not working more than an hour.

The usage that I do is mostly on desk and never on lap or bed. So the heating issues that come with HP even for casual laptops goes to show they have horrible heating management system and also the thing about asus is that market has never recorded maximum number of cases against their casual laptops as being heat seeker. which HP laptops are and by servicing such laptops, HP makes money. 

On 12/10/2020 at 8:06 AM, Empire said:

Well end of the day it is always about making money. Like most things they do not last, after years you have to replace them and that's how they make money.

That's why phone companies stopped selling phones with removable batteries because when the battery goes bad, you'll have to buy a new device or repairing it may cost you close to what the device was worth.