Register Now
StaceyPowers

Games that grew on you?

What are some games that grew on you and you liked more and more as you kept playing them? I had very mixed feelings about Oblivion originally, but now I like it a lot. Also, while I enjoyed Mass Effect from the beginning, I didn’t get totally into it until I started playing Mass Effect 2.

4 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

What are some games that grew on you and you liked more and more as you kept playing them? I had very mixed feelings about Oblivion originally, but now I like it a lot. Also, while I enjoyed Mass Effect from the beginning, I didn’t get totally into it until I started playing Mass Effect 2.

Hitman 2 for the PS2. In the beginning, I wasn't that invested in the game but I grew to love it once I got further into the game. I'd also say Skyrim. The beginning of the story is very lackluster if I'm being honest but here I am nearly 10 years later still playing it almost daily.

On 11/29/2020 at 6:08 PM, killamch89 said:

I'd also say Skyrim. The beginning of the story is very lackluster

Skyrim was one of the first PS3 games I played, and I hadn't touched a video game console since NES. So, the beginning blew my my mind in what now seems such a quaint way ("The controller is shaking holy crap!"). But in hindsight I quite agree; it is a rather dull beginning.

2 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

Skyrim was one of the first PS3 games I played, and I hadn't touched a video game console since NES. So, the beginning blew my my mind in what now seems such a quaint way ("The controller is shaking holy crap!"). But in hindsight I quite agree; it is a rather dull beginning.

When Alduin attacked I was like "Are you serious? Aren't dragons supposed to be more intimidating?".  It's when I got to Whiterun and started doing the missions there that I really start to get into the game.

20 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

Aren't dragons supposed to be more intimidating?". 

They do seem rather like large cockroaches after a while. Between them and the draugr, I often feel like I should be promoting Dragonborn Exterminator Services for All of Skyrim's Pest Problems.

At the moment, only 2 come to mind. RDR2 and FF8. Initially I wasn't interested in FF8 because at the time I thought it was "too open" of a game for my tastes. Granted this was 1999, and games aren't anywhere near as advanced and open world as they are now. But back 21 years ago, this was one hell of an open world game.

RDR2 didn't initially interest me, because I've never really been a big fan of western style games. I'm not into western movies or TV shows. I watched Bonanza with my grandmother when I was a little girl, but that was only because she loved the show. I never complained though. I was just happy to spend time with her. but back to the game, I watched my girl play it a lot, and the more I watched her, the more I got into it. I eventually bought it for both My Xbox One and PS4. I have to say it's much better on the PS4 than Xbox.

I do have to say that GameStop lived up to its reputation. I bought it there for $60. We went to Walmart immediately after, and they were selling it for $40.😡

Edited by The Blackangel

On 12/2/2020 at 11:42 AM, The Blackangel said:

At the moment, only 2 come to mind. RDR2 and FF8. Initially I wasn't interested in FF8 because at the time I thought it was "too open" of a game for my tastes. Granted this was 1999, and games aren't anywhere near as advanced and open world as they are now. But back 21 years ago, this was one hell of an open world game.

RDR2 didn't initially interest me, because I've never really been a big fan of western style games. I'm not into western movies or TV shows. I watched Bonanza with my grandmother when I was a little girl, but that was only because she loved the show. I never complained though. I was just happy to spend time with her. but back to the game, I watched my girl play it a lot, and the more I watched her, the more I got into it. I eventually bought it for both My Xbox One and PS4. I have to say it's much better on the PS4 than Xbox.

I do have to say that GameStop lived up to its reputation. I bought it there for $60. We went to Walmart immediately after, and they were selling it for $40.😡

I can understand with Red Dead Redemption because most people aren't really into Western games (including myself). It's only because I played the first game that I kind of knew what I was getting into and because Rockstar made it, It'll at the very least, be a very good game with an awesome story.

From the year that got released in 2006 and I think I started playing it in 2008 or when I got my hands on a copy. It's battlefield two and still this day I tend to go on the game and play it 🙂 So good that I have three game copies on my USB drive and back in the day at school and collage I would play BF2 with other people LOL

Mass Effect - Originally I didn't like the game at all. It only started to grow on me when I got out of the citadel and started exploring planets.

Dune II - I didn't know what to make of the RTS genre. I dismissed the game as looking boring when I First saw it at a friend's.  Then got a copy from someone and started playing it.

X-Wing

5 hours ago, m76 said:

Mass Effect - Originally I didn't like the game at all. It only started to grow on me when I got out of the citadel and started exploring planets.

Dune II - I didn't know what to make of the RTS genre. I dismissed the game as looking boring when I First saw it at a friend's.  Then got a copy from someone and started playing it.

X-Wing

It's kind of true with Mass Effect - they do tend to drag a bit in the opening sequences. Another game I'd say is Medal Of Honor - It must be the super long intro but I was falling asleep during the intro! 

14 hours ago, skyfire said:

I think narrative based or more like trailed story based and those that changes based on actions in the story. Those games kind of grow on you and you remember them for a long time. 

So true. Skyrim's opening sequence is one of the most drawn-out scenes ever in a videogame. I thought I never enjoy it but here I am almost 10 years later...Replaying my 10,000th playthrough.