Register Now
StaceyPowers

Game that feel like “home”

This might sound weird, but are there video games that give you a feeling of “home” and safety? Like for me, I’ve been playing Quake III Arena since I was in high school, so in a way, those maps have been the only completely static, consistent “places” in my life over all that time. So, they feel like home.

Subnautica is much more survival and at first the world feels terrifying, but by the end you no longer fear the depths around you and when you complete the game it feels like you are leaving behind your home. You can go at your own pace and everything.

Slime rancher is a first person creature farming with a world to explore and fun slimes to capture. was in early access (I know bad sign) but the dev's constantly roll stuff out and the world feels big to explore and lots to do. I did try Slime Rancher once though. I liked it! Even though it was one of the very few games that gave me motion sickness. It was unfinished at the time and seemed more targeted at a children audience. I might check it out again, though. I did play through Subnautica, which was great fun! Unfortunately, it has an end and no multiplayer 🙂

2 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

I'm not entirely following the question here. When you say "home" are you meaning it feels the way it felt growing up, or that you have found a place in a game that you would happily climb into the game and call home?

The latter, more. Just a sense of safety and familiarity. Like, the Quake maps feel like home to me because they literally are the only consistent "place" I've had since  being a teen, and they feel comfortable and calming. I dream about them too.

On 11/30/2020 at 4:38 AM, Empire said:

Slime rancher is a first person creature farming

My brother recommended this one to me the other day!

RuneScape, been playing with friends ever since like Middle School and even have been playing with a few at my current job. Just reminds me when games were easier to play, and grinding was a real thing that is somehow relaxing. 

BeamNG Drive, it's not even finished yet I've already spent about 500 hours in it.

I was always fascinated with car simulators ever since I first saw a racing game on a computer when I was maybe 6 years old.

But my fascination was never with the racing itself, it was with the accurate modelling of car physics and damage. I've always had a go to game that was the pinnacle in car physics, and I'd just drive around in them aimlessly, joyriding if you may. And BeamNG is at that pinnacle currently. You couldn't imagine what were the games that were my goto games for this for shorter or longer periods.

The first game I can remember that started it all was Stunt Car Racer (1989) on Commodore 64, it was the first game that actually tried to simulate the suspension of a car. So it immediately grabbed my attention.

On 11/29/2020 at 10:25 PM, StaceyPowers said:

This might sound weird, but are there video games that give you a feeling of “home” and safety? Like for me, I’ve been playing Quake III Arena since I was in high school, so in a way, those maps have been the only completely static, consistent “places” in my life over all that time. So, they feel like home.

I started up with quake 4 but it never felt anything like home, I just keep getting scared everytime I face a different boss.

I think call of duty warefare is the only game I feel safe with, no alien, no scary looking weirdo, just terrorist with guns and explosives.