Register Now
m76

Foreign songs you love despite not understanding the lyrics.

There is something special about music, it speaks to you on a personal level, it can have a meaning even if you don't understand the words. The rhymes and voice of the singer can still tell you something.

So are there any songs that become your favorite before you understood their lyrics?

I'll start with a few favorites of mine.

i've bumped into this song a very long time ago, I DOn't remember exactly how, but been in love with it ever since. It goes without saying that I don't understand a single word of Swedish.

Next up in a complete 180 of genres here is this masterpiece, what can I say my musical taste is very wide and far reaching.

I heard a few seconds of this song in a parody video, but instantly had to find out what it is. While I do speak a few words of German not on a level to have a grasp on the lyrics.

Then we move to some industrial music. Laibach is hard to grasp for newcomers, they were outlawed in yugoslavia, and the uninitiated often see them as fascists, they are one of the very few bands who performed in North Korea. In reality they are neither communists or fascists they are merely creating satire. They present things through a mocking glass, often pointing out the obvious that is ignored my the mainstream. 

Their live performances are not just about them playing music, it's an audiovisual feast. They act on stage, and show imagery to compliment the sounds. I was lucky enough to see them live, and it was one of the best experiences of my life.

So without further ado here is one of their songs in their native language:

From every band I like they are the one who I respect the most for being able to continually renew themselves, and everything they put out is a masterpiece in some sense.

Listening to songs in languages I don’t understand actually made me to learn them. It’s fascinating how music and language are chained together. But yet hard without knowing what the words means. But in my case I do not listen to foreign songs. It doesn’t take a lot to find lyrics to popular music from other countries, since fans post them. Translations that are well done can be a little harder to find. Sometimes you just have to enjoy the music based on feel.

On 12/6/2020 at 12:04 AM, The Blackangel said:

Rammstein. I don’t speak enough German to follow the lyrics, but I live their music. Sehnsucht is my favorite song of theirs. 

Rammstein actually took their inspiration from Laibach. Some say Laibach is Rammstein for the grown ups.