Register Now
Kane99

Are you okay with Xbox not selling as much as the PS5?

The PS5 is selling a lot more than the Xbox Series X and S. Though, MS is doing fairly well in terms of sales, it seems some are worried it may spell bad news for MS. I highly doubt that, as they are still selling consoles, and will likely continue onto the new year, especially when these dumb scalpers get out of the game. 

Outside of the Xbox 360 generation (and they still sold less but they were much closer in terms of sales), this has always been the case so I'm not sure why anyone is surprised. I mean, Sony always has way more exclusives and they tend to market their products much better than Xbox does. In addition to that, in certain games, the Xbox Series lags behind the PS5 despite somewhat superior specs.

On 12/11/2020 at 11:49 PM, killamch89 said:

Outside of the Xbox 360 generation (and they still sold less but they were much closer in terms of sales), this has always been the case so I'm not sure why anyone is surprised. I mean, Sony always has way more exclusives and they tend to market their products much better than Xbox does. In addition to that, in certain games, the Xbox Series lags behind the PS5 despite somewhat superior specs.

True, but I think for the most part, the 360 sold better because the PS3's rocky launch, especially with the $600 price tag at release. But once prices went down, Sony ended up taking the lead. The PS4 took such a major lead, because Microsoft screwed themselves over by originally forcing DRM, always online, and Kinect. That caused fans to jump over to Sony, and I don't think they have fully recovered. 

I think MS will be just fine though. It's not like they have to match what Sony is doing. As long as they make profit, they'll be happy. 

13 hours ago, Kane99 said:

True, but I think for the most part, the 360 sold better because the PS3's rocky launch, especially with the $600 price tag at release. But once prices went down, Sony ended up taking the lead. The PS4 took such a major lead, because Microsoft screwed themselves over by originally forcing DRM, always online, and Kinect. That caused fans to jump over to Sony, and I don't think they have fully recovered. 

I think MS will be just fine though. It's not like they have to match what Sony is doing. As long as they make profit, they'll be happy. 

Well, Microsoft does make their revenue from other sectors so I agree that the Xbox will be fine and they'll probably make some profit for the next 2 to 3 years at least so it's not that big of an issue.

Xbox do have their own plans when it comes to producing and advertising their product,so I don't see any big deal if they aren't selling like Sony. 

Who knows what Xbox is planning underneath, I would just sit back and hope Xbox have the come back they deserve.

As much as I feel Sony is much more good at marketing and Branding their consoles to spike interests and get people frenzied.

I still think Xbox is doing quite well too as there are people who enjoy The Xbox and would buy the console at any given time.

That's why they are cheaper to buy over the PS5 in that case, since Supply and demand, my friend. Then again While it beating PS5 is surely due to supply, it's still worth mentioning that this shows increased demand for Xbox compared to previous generations.

31 minutes ago, Empire said:

That's why they are cheaper to buy over the PS5 in that case, since Supply and demand, my friend. Then again While it beating PS5 is surely due to supply, it's still worth mentioning that this shows increased demand for Xbox compared to previous generations.

Xbox is already a big name just as much as PlayStation is.

I know the PlayStation is a stronger competition but the supply chain of ps5 is making it so limited and exclusively expensive and that's why gamers are going for the series X which is some what similar to the ps5.

I have the series X so I could give more information about it as opposed to the PlayStation 5.

7 hours ago, Clasher said:

Xbox is already a big name just as much as PlayStation is.

I know the PlayStation is a stronger competition but the supply chain of ps5 is making it so limited and exclusively expensive and that's why gamers are going for the series X which is some what similar to the ps5.

I have the series X so I could give more information about it as opposed to the PlayStation 5.

Xbox is a big name in the US and maybe the UK, but elsewhere, not so much. PlayStation on the other hand is well known in many locations and to my knowledge, they sell a lot more in UK and other foreign countries. Xbox has had problems selling in Japan and some other countries. 

Yeah, but Sony is still making money because of these scalpers. It's more of a problem for consumers, because they're stuck waiting for PS5s to show up, because these scalpers are jumping in lines to get their hands on as many as they can. 

PlayStation is more popular than Xbox in almost every way. There are a lot more people searching for a PS5 than there are searching for an Xbox Series S/X. The PlayStation being made by Sony is already a selling point, as there are tons of people who crave Sony devices. So when they entered the gaming market, they already had a huge fan base. Xbox does have its loyalists, but the market is mostly dominated by Sony. Nintendo held that position for decades, but has lost ground to Sony. If you look around (here at least) you will see the Switch (including Lite and Oled) and Xbox Series S on the shelves everywhere. It's an ungodly rare occurrence to find a PS5 on the shelves, because they have already sold. The Series X is harder to find, but you still have the same technology in the Series S minus the ability to play discs. Also you have to factor in the fact that a lot of people don't trust Microsoft. I use a PC, and I don't trust them. I'm not a fan of Bill Gates in any way, but I've used both PC and Mac, and the PC is far superior to the Mac. Sony has a lot more trust put into them, because they have ALWAYS made quality products. Microsoft can't make that claim.

Sony is the top selling console on the market right now for a plethora of reasons.

6 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Xbox is a big name in the US and maybe the UK, but elsewhere, not so much. PlayStation on the other hand is well known in many locations and to my knowledge, they sell a lot more in UK and other foreign countries. Xbox has had problems selling in Japan and some other countries. 

Yeah, but Sony is still making money because of these scalpers. It's more of a problem for consumers, because they're stuck waiting for PS5s to show up, because these scalpers are jumping in lines to get their hands on as many as they can. 

Xbox is still quite popular where I am from and I remember we had the Xbox 360 at home and I know a bunch of kids who has it as well.

PlayStation are the most used around here but people still go out  to game houses where they could play with Xbox consoles just like they do for the PlayStation.

Well, it would take more effort before Xbox could match up to PlayStation but there are still widely used in my opinion.

Microsoft has never been able to get a foothold in the japanese/asian market they tried hard with the og xbox and even harder with the xbox 360. But Whenever they released the xbox one it seems like they have given up alltogether, the last time i visited japan the xbox one slim model just came out and was being sold as a 4k blu-ray player, oh yeah it also plays games but why do you want to do that right. My point being is that take that market out and console sales will be much closer because as it stands now sony and nintendo have the entire asian market pretty much to themselves.

Surely the head honchos at the xbox division have taken note that doing your own thing as a console manufacturer works, doing something different then sony is actually working pretty well for microsoft so far. It's like they finally get it that they can't beat sony at their own game and have accepted that.

Obviously the shortage of ps5 consoles also worked into microsoft's favour because it's certain a bunch of people have jumped ship because they coulden't get a ps5 at a normal price.

2 hours ago, Yaramaki said:

Microsoft has never been able to get a foothold in the japanese/asian market they tried hard with the og xbox and even harder with the xbox 360. But Whenever they released the xbox one it seems like they have given up alltogether, the last time i visited japan the xbox one slim model just came out and was being sold as a 4k blu-ray player, oh yeah it also plays games but why do you want to do that right. My point being is that take that market out and console sales will be much closer because as it stands now sony and nintendo have the entire asian market pretty much to themselves.

Is there any particular reason why Microsoft can't get a foothold in Japan? The only reasoning I'm finding, which seems to line up with fact, is this reader's contribution to Metro newspaper's Games Corner, quote:

Am I the only one that finds the way that Phil Spencer tries to present himself as this egalitarian fan of all consoles a bit unconvincing? I’m not saying he doesn’t like games but everything he says and does seems like exactly what a PR person would tell him to do, if he wanted to appear popular.

[...]

He keeps talking about Japan but doesn’t invest in any Japanese developers and everything the Xbox is and does seem to be to push American games and American sensibilities. I trust him just as much as I trust any multi-millionaire business owner: not at all.

You know better than I do: what else can Microsoft do to gain ground? Is there anything they can offer that differs from Sony and Nintendo (like GamePass)?

~

As to the main question itself, I'm not really bothered myself and as far as I can tell it has little impact on the industry at large. I care most of all about people having good experiences; consumers with cheap games; and developers in good working conditions.

Here's the thing, Xbox is doing just fine. They don't need to place #1 in a console race, because their sales are good, not PS5 good I imagine, but they're still selling. And I think they're even okay with being behind in sales to the Nintendo Switch for example. I don't know if the switch is outselling the Xbox series X at the moment, but I could see it. As long as their sales are good and they're making money, I'm sure they don't care too much anymore. Yeah they probably want to get to the #1 spot, but I don't think they need to. 

17 hours ago, Clasher said:

Xbox is still quite popular where I am from and I remember we had the Xbox 360 at home and I know a bunch of kids who has it as well.

PlayStation are the most used around here but people still go out  to game houses where they could play with Xbox consoles just like they do for the PlayStation.

Well, it would take more effort before Xbox could match up to PlayStation but there are still widely used in my opinion.

Where are you from? I'm sure the console was popular in many other areas overseas from the US. But I know in some countries it didn't sell well at all. I think American made consoles are a tough sell in some foreign countries. And yeah, PS is popular all over the world, there are some places I imagine it doesn't sell well, but I imagine it sells alot better than Xbox does in most foreign countries. 

4 hours ago, Yaramaki said:

Surely the head honchos at the xbox division have taken note that doing your own thing as a console manufacturer works, doing something different then sony is actually working pretty well for microsoft so far. It's like they finally get it that they can't beat sony at their own game and have accepted that.

Obviously the shortage of ps5 consoles also worked into microsoft's favour because it's certain a bunch of people have jumped ship because they coulden't get a ps5 at a normal price.

A big help is gamepass, I think it has revitalized the Xbox brand and has helped increase sales of Xbox consoles old and new gen. And yeah, that PS5 shortage, and scalpers picking them all up, it's helping push sales for the Xbox. I could easily see many parents just getting an Xbox because they're available. And with prices of everything going up, I can see scalpers trying to gouge even more money out of the PS5s they snatch up. 

2 hours ago, Withywarlock said:

Is there any particular reason why Microsoft can't get a foothold in Japan? The only reasoning I'm finding, which seems to line up with fact, is this reader's contribution to Metro newspaper's Games Corner, quote:

You know better than I do: what else can Microsoft do to gain ground? Is there anything they can offer that differs from Sony and Nintendo (like GamePass)?

~

As to the main question itself, I'm not really bothered myself and as far as I can tell it has little impact on the industry at large. I care most of all about people having good experiences; consumers with cheap games; and developers in good working conditions.

I think it's because most of the games don't appeal to the market over there, partly because like that article you shared said, that they didn't try to go for Japanese and other foreign developers. I think getting foreign devs on board, to team up for games, or to even outright buy up foreign studios. 

It was recently announced that Hideo Kojima is going to make a game for Xbox, so they are making some moves to work with foreign developers. I'm excited to see what they have planned next. Because remember, all of these exclusive titles will be on gamepass.