Register Now
Kane99

Are you okay with Xbox not selling as much as the PS5?

@Withywarlock Major reason being is that japanese people prefer using japanese brands rather then buying products from a western brand. Compare it a bit with cars, while they are around, you won't find many european and american makes of cars in japan and the ones that are usually on the more expensive side in other words cars not a whole lot of people can afford. You could say Windows is doing fine over there but the computers windows is running on is 99,9% of the time going to be on computer from a japanese manufacturer.

Obviously microsoft diden't really try anymore with the xbox one, where the original xbox had Shin Megami Tensei: Nine alongside some highly experimental games like N.u.d.e and Dennou Taisen: DroneZ just to name a few exclusives. Microsoft really tried hard to push the 360 in japan in it's early days with games like blue dragon, infinite undiscovery, lost odyssey were all decent exclusives and tales of vesperia was also exclusive for a good time on the 360. To others, incuding myself the japanese 360 was a haven for traditional shooters. On the xbox one however you didn't have any of that, of the few japanese exclusive games there are were also released on other platforms. The only game that comes to my mind that is still an exclusive game is Azito x Tatsunoko Legends.

I'm not really a fan of game pass because as a collector it takes away physical sales and if you ask my oppinion on gamepass it's just a glorified rental service but that is just my oppinion. No what microsoft should do is getting more japanese games on their platform not only exclusives tough, okay they finally got it that persona is a big deal and why the 5th game was so long exclusive to playstation i still don't get it. But games like the atelier series or take it the tecmo koei rpg's in general are not on xbox consoles give tecmo koei and for that matter smaller companies like Nis  a sack of cash and convince them to release on xbox aswell that way you not only take away potential exclusives from other platforms but you also keep gamers who rather play their games on xbox on your platform. Like Ni no kuni why aren't both games on xbox.

Offcourse having a genre defining Jrpg or something that would cater to a japanese audience would also help a lot in sales over in japan but i doubt microsoft is even interested in doing that.

On 7/30/2022 at 4:21 AM, Yaramaki said:

@Withywarlock Major reason being is that japanese people prefer using japanese brands rather then buying products from a western brand. Compare it a bit with cars, while they are around, you won't find many european and american makes of cars in japan and the ones that are usually on the more expensive side in other words cars not a whole lot of people can afford. You could say Windows is doing fine over there but the computers windows is running on is 99,9% of the time going to be on computer from a japanese manufacturer.

Obviously microsoft diden't really try anymore with the xbox one, where the original xbox had Shin Megami Tensei: Nine alongside some highly experimental games like N.u.d.e and Dennou Taisen: DroneZ just to name a few exclusives. Microsoft really tried hard to push the 360 in japan in it's early days with games like blue dragon, infinite undiscovery, lost odyssey were all decent exclusives and tales of vesperia was also exclusive for a good time on the 360. To others, incuding myself the japanese 360 was a haven for traditional shooters. On the xbox one however you didn't have any of that, of the few japanese exclusive games there are were also released on other platforms. The only game that comes to my mind that is still an exclusive game is Azito x Tatsunoko Legends.

I'm not really a fan of game pass because as a collector it takes away physical sales and if you ask my oppinion on gamepass it's just a glorified rental service but that is just my oppinion. No what microsoft should do is getting more japanese games on their platform not only exclusives tough, okay they finally got it that persona is a big deal and why the 5th game was so long exclusive to playstation i still don't get it. But games like the atelier series or take it the tecmo koei rpg's in general are not on xbox consoles give tecmo koei and for that matter smaller companies like Nis  a sack of cash and convince them to release on xbox aswell that way you not only take away potential exclusives from other platforms but you also keep gamers who rather play their games on xbox on your platform. Like Ni no kuni why aren't both games on xbox.

Offcourse having a genre defining Jrpg or something that would cater to a japanese audience would also help a lot in sales over in japan but i doubt microsoft is even interested in doing that.

Yeah pretty much this. It's tough for any American consoles to sell in Japan and other foreign countries. I mean, think of it this way, wasn't the Xbox one of the first american made consoles? Most other consoles to my knowledge originated in Japan and other foreign countries, so the likelihood of any American consoles selling well overseas is a tough sell.

Actually scratch that, I think Atari is an American company, but idk how they did in Japan and other countries. 

Edited by Kane99

I seriously doubt that this is a big worry for Microsoft. They have competed favorably in the Gaming sector and even Sony are struggling to keep up with the pace of Microsoft. So, Playstation 5 selling more than Xbox is not big worry to me as an Xbox gamer.

It doesn't bother me.  Microsoft's main focus is Game Pass. They don't care how many Series S or X's they sell. They want lots of Game Pass subcriptions. I will always prefer xbox consoles over Playstation though, but how many Microsoft sells doesn't matter to me, as long as they keep making consoles. 🙂 I don't think Microsoft is worried though, they lose money on every console they sell to begin with, but still push them out, like I said, they make their bulk of revenue from Game Pass & software sales.

On 11/12/2022 at 8:56 PM, Shortie said:

It doesn't bother me.  Microsoft's main focus is Game Pass. They don't care how many Series S or X's they sell. They want lots of Game Pass subcriptions. I will always prefer xbox consoles over Playstation though, but how many Microsoft sells doesn't matter to me, as long as they keep making consoles. 🙂 I don't think Microsoft is worried though, they lose money on every console they sell to begin with, but still push them out, like I said, they make their bulk of revenue from Game Pass & software sales.

The still make a lot of sales but only comparing the sales of Xbox series X and PlayStation 5 is what makes it look like it's so bad and Xbox aren't doing well.

They might now have sold as much as the PlayStation but they made a good number of sales and make profit.

Well one has an edge over another in some instances. The ps5 console is more powerful in my own opinion. It also has a more advanced GPU and a solid SSD compared to Xbox. 
And Xbox will most probably not be able to match PS marketing. 

Edited by Kennysplash

Honestly it doesn't really bother me too much. The main reason why it falls behind the PS5 and Switch has to be Game Pass Ultimate. You can play pretty much any Xbox game on a PC if you have a decent setup. There's not really any exclusives anymore for the Series X/S, which is another thing that's been hurting the sales of Xbox consoles. I doubt Microsoft will ever address this though, they just see these subscriptions as more ways to get money from people. It makes me wonder if after this generation will the Xbox stop being produced? If Microsoft sees the sales for consoles vs. Game Pass subscriptions and sees that they're making more money from subscriptions surely they could stop making Xbox consoles in the future right?