Register Now
Kane99

It's time for developers/publishers to stop rushing games to release

It is time that studios and publishers let games take time to grow, because it's clear from the launch of Cyberpunk 2077, that this game was not ready for primetime, and it may not have been ready for quite a while. I've played it on PC since I got it, and I am having a blast, but I am encountering some weird bugs, some at times nearly game breaking. But so far I've been lucky. But that's not the case for some others, on PS4 and Xbox One for example, it's stated that the game is barely playable. It's so bad, that they're offering refunds now, on all consoles to my knowledge. And rightfully so, this shouldn't be happening anymore. 

It's time for publishers to allow developers to take as much time as needed to make their games. If they can't afford to wait that long, make it a smaller game, or do something else. Don't make a huge, ambitious game, if you can't give it the time it needs to become the game you want it to be. Cyberpunk 2077 was in production since 2012 or so, there is no excuse for a game to come out in this state. We've waited 8 years, what's another year or two to really smooth things out? I argue it's similar to the launch of Fallout 76 in a way, just not as bad. And really, we need to voice our thoughts about this, because it seems fans of CD Projekt Red don't care, and won't judge their godsend of a studio. But, they will freely go out and bash Bethesda for Fallout 76, yet it's a similar situation here. 

I don't think CD Projekt Red should be given a pass for this honestly, and I think people are taking notice. Any other studios out there, need to take notice, because this is starting to become unacceptable in the gaming industry. They could have easily delayed it until sometime in 2021, yeah they'd get some hate from fans for delaying yet again, but it would be better than dealing with what's going on now. 

And I understand a few small glitches here and there are bound to happen in most games, that's not a big deal. But, if it causes the game to literally break at a certain point, it's probably better to some more dev time on it before shipping. 

This isn't just about CP2077 though, it's for all of those publishers that want to hit a certain date, or a certain holiday, or to make it for release before the new year. It's time that we as consumers make out voices heard. Studios need time to make their games, and publishers need to stop pushing dates that are unrealistic. 

But yeah, a little rant, feel free to add to it if you want. 😄 I have dealt with buggy games in the past, and for the most part I haven't had a whole lot of problems with Cyberpunk 2077 myself. But, I do fear I will hit some game breaking bug at some point. Hell, one of the side missions I did, I glitched one of the enemies out by somehow trapping her in a fridge, so she was stuck clipping to it, so I could run up and attack. Another glitch I encountered, was when I broke a window and tried to jump through, I immediately flew back like 100 meters away lol. I've had other bugs where I can't run, or aim my gun, and in the beginning I encountered a bug where I had to shoot from a car, but it wouldn't let me, and somehow it just allowed me to finish the mission. It was weird. 

How do you feel about developers rushing games to meet a deadline? Do you think CP2077 should have had more time in the oven? What about other games that came out in a similar state? Do you think studios owe it to gamers to refund them if a game is this broken? I think so. 

Also, sorry for the long wall of text lol. 

I won't give CD project Red a pass for this and that goes for most companies but there's also the aspect of the toxic members of the gaming community threatening the developers as well as increased pressure from shareholders that they have to satisfy. Yes, companies should actually publish games when they're completely finished and they find no bugs/ glitches and it runs flawlessly on every platform they intend to release the game on. CD Project Red should have stuck to their guns and released the game when it's "actually ready". We need to address our fellow toxic gamers as well - the same ones who make an absolute uproar every time an anticipated title suffer some delay but complain when the said company releases their project too early. The only reason we will discuss Cyberpunk 2077 and not even mention Marvel's Avengers is because despite the bugs, the story is pretty good and the gameplay is good - Marvel's Avengers was a shit money-grabbing game with absolutely no effort put into it.

(Imagine having to read my comment after Kane's wall of text. Good luck everyone!)

55 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

I won't give CD project Red a pass for this and that goes for most companies but there's also the aspect of the toxic members of the gaming community threatening the developers as well as increased pressure from shareholders that they have to satisfy. Yes, companies should actually publish games when they're completely finished and they find no bugs/ glitches and it runs flawlessly on every platform they intend to release the game on. CD Project Red should have stuck to their guns and released the game when it's "actually ready". We need to address our fellow toxic gamers as well - the same ones who make an absolute uproar every time an anticipated title suffer some delay but complain when the said company releases their project too early. The only reason we will discuss Cyberpunk 2077 and not even mention Marvel's Avengers is because despite the bugs, the story is pretty good and the gameplay is good - Marvel's Avengers was a shit money-grabbing game with absolutely no effort put into it.

(Imagine having to read my comment after Kane's wall of text. Good luck everyone!)

Oh yeah, to those throwing threats out there at the devs of publishers, shame on them. There is no excuse for that type of behavior. I understand some of their anger, but to go out and send death threats is just messed up. Take your refund and move along. 

But yeah, times need to change, and I think for the most part, they want to make things right, and they will make things right I imagine. 

37 minutes ago, Kane99 said:

Oh yeah, to those throwing threats out there at the devs of publishers, shame on them. There is no excuse for that type of behavior. I understand some of their anger, but to go out and send death threats is just messed up. Take your refund and move along. 

But yeah, times need to change, and I think for the most part, they want to make things right, and they will make things right I imagine. 

They did offer an apology, promised refunds and fixes after the buggy launch so I'll be a tad more lenient on them unlike EA and others who would've told you to suck it up.

12 hours ago, killamch89 said:

They did offer an apology, promised refunds and fixes after the buggy launch so I'll be a tad more lenient on them unlike EA and others who would've told you to suck it up.

Yeah, but they did it only after they released the game and were caught. They also did not show any gameplay from the PS4 and Xbox One versions. They showcased the PS4 pro and Xbox One X versions and the new gen versions only. There's really no excuse on their part. 

They literally lied to the consumers as well, much like EA has done. Even stating that the games on the base consoles played great. And you see now, that's simply not the case, as they're literally offering up refunds until they can patch it early next year. Idk, they probably should have waited until February to release the last gen versions anyway, but studios gotta make the date of delivery. I garauntee if they delayed it another time, the backlash wouldn't be as bad as what they're getting now. Studios need to stick to their guns and not push for a release that doesn't work for them. They knew this game was a broken mess, and released it anyway. 

Don't get me wrong though, I love this game so far. I'm having a blast with it, but there's no excuse for a game coming out like this, not anymore, especially when it was originally meant for these base consoles in the first place. People forget, the PS4 and Xbox One weren't even out when Cyberpunk 2077 was announced. 

This goes for every studio out there, stop forcing a street date to happen if your game is not ready. Because this is exactly how problems happen. 

25 minutes ago, Kane99 said:

Yeah, but they did it only after they released the game and were caught. They also did not show any gameplay from the PS4 and Xbox One versions. They showcased the PS4 pro and Xbox One X versions and the new gen versions only. There's really no excuse on their part. 

They literally lied to the consumers as well, much like EA has done. Even stating that the games on the base consoles played great. And you see now, that's simply not the case, as they're literally offering up refunds until they can patch it early next year. Idk, they probably should have waited until February to release the last gen versions anyway, but studios gotta make the date of delivery. I garauntee if they delayed it another time, the backlash wouldn't be as bad as what they're getting now. Studios need to stick to their guns and not push for a release that doesn't work for them. They knew this game was a broken mess, and released it anyway. 

Don't get me wrong though, I love this game so far. I'm having a blast with it, but there's no excuse for a game coming out like this, not anymore, especially when it was originally meant for these base consoles in the first place. People forget, the PS4 and Xbox One weren't even out when Cyberpunk 2077 was announced. 

This goes for every studio out there, stop forcing a street date to happen if your game is not ready. Because this is exactly how problems happen. 

I totally agree with you that it was a very scummy move by them and I also had this same convo with my friend about why didn't they release it for the new gen consoles and PC first and release the current gen version a bit later. Or just made it a game for the next gen consoles and PC only.

4 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

I totally agree with you that it was a very scummy move by them and I also had this same convo with my friend about why didn't they release it for the new gen consoles and PC first and release the current gen version a bit later. Or just made it a game for the next gen consoles and PC only.

Yeah exactly. They could have delayed the last gen versions or removed them outright. But, they wanted that extra money, and figured they could fix it later. But that is no longer acceptable, especially when they knew how bad the last gen versions were and still released it. 

I think if they delayed it again, it would have been a lot less backlash than what they're getting now. No one is going to forget this, CDPR will forever be tarnished because of this launch. 

What they need to start doing is only admit that they are working on another entry into whatever franchise, but not give any estimated release date. Not even an estimated year. That should be enough to keep gamers interested, and following news on the game. If they rush it, then we get bugs and glitches like we see in RDR2 and Skyrim, which from what I hear is just about the buggiest damn game ever made. That way, they have time to write up the game, play it, discover bugs and glitches, rewrite it, play it again, discover more bugs and glitches, and repeat the process over and over until the game is as bug/glitch free as it can be. No game will be without bugs or glitches. That's just a simple fact. But when it's buggier than an ant hill, and more glitch than game, that's when the shit hits the fan, and developer starts sending out refunds for the abomination that they rushed. I haven't played a whole lot of Skyrim, but I have played a lot of RDR2. For example, one of the characters that everyone calls Uncle, plays the banjo. Well he was sitting at the campfire playing air-banjo and there was actually music coming out. I took a video of it on my phone. I’ve never gotten this glitch and I’m sure it will never happen again. But between floating corpses and flying drunks that must have pissed off Superman, as well as flying wagons, this one is pretty good.

The flying drunk was a few days ago. I was in town, and suddenly a guy went flying across town almost level with the roof of all the buildings. The entire length of the main drag. And I got a murder charge even though I was no fucking where near him. But the murder charge was worth it to witness that one.

I tried to upload the video of Uncle playing air-banjo, but the forum said it was too big, so I'm going to have to try to shorten it. I don't know if I have any programs on my PC at the moment that will do it, but I'll try, as I'm sure a few people will want to see it.

I was going to start a new topic, but I figure it fits this one a lot more. I wanted to speak a bit more on Sony and them removing Cyberpunk 2077 from their store. Here's what I wrote. 

With this debacle we're in with Cyberpunk 2077, and Sony literally removing the game from their marketplace, it got me thinking. is it the breaking point now? Gamers have been screwed over a lot over the years with poorly released games. Recent games that come to mind are The Avengers, Anthem and Fallout 76 just to name a few. Fallout 76 was a broken mess at release, and Bethesda became one of the most hated studios because of it. Well, they're starting to regain their fanbase, but it was almost too late there. 

Anyway, Fallout 76 didn't get pulled from any game store. But thinking about it, maybe it should have been. Maybe if more games that are released in this state, like Fallout 76, or Cyberpunk 2077, we'll see Sony or MS remove them from their marketplace until they're fixed. Because I don't think a company should be able to sell shoddy games like this after it's been found to be broken. I think what Sony did was right, and I think it should be what more companies do when a poorly optimized game is released. 

These companies need to be shown that this type of nonsense isn't acceptable anymore. If you want to make and release a broken game, rest assured, you'll have to deal with that game eventually being removed until the problems are fixed. I think that's fair. What do you think? 

Should Sony, Microsoft and other gaming marketplaces, remove games that are in a broken state? I certainly think so, because there needs to be a change in the gaming industry, where we let these devs and publishers know that this is no longer acceptable to release broken games. Poorly made products get recalled all the time, maybe it's time games are included in that too. 

I think one of the main problems is developers don't listen. If they see the $ sign on the game at all, they move forward with it, no matter how fucked up the game is. Sure that takes a hit to their reputation, but they think that as long a they make money, that they can handle it. But then you have to remember a little company called LJN. Look at what happened with them. A load of games that were considered to be some of the worst in gaming history, and they disappeared pretty quickly. If developers would look at that, and take a lesson from LJN, then maybe we would get games that aren't an anthill at release.

Can you imagine if they played broken movies at the theatre opening night? Then they have to edit it and have a better version a few weeks later at the theatre. If a movie can hold out to release a finished product, no excuse for a game not to. If they need to hire 1000 people to play the games through as a trial version like drug test subjects would, then so be it. Or have 1000 volunteers. How many people usually play the trial game? Are these people doped up and think a broken game is a far out intentional thing? Do they send it off to child-labor-ville and have their games approved there? 

14 hours ago, Kane99 said:

I was going to start a new topic, but I figure it fits this one a lot more. I wanted to speak a bit more on Sony and them removing Cyberpunk 2077 from their store. Here's what I wrote. 

With this debacle we're in with Cyberpunk 2077, and Sony literally removing the game from their marketplace, it got me thinking. is it the breaking point now? Gamers have been screwed over a lot over the years with poorly released games. Recent games that come to mind are The Avengers, Anthem and Fallout 76 just to name a few. Fallout 76 was a broken mess at release, and Bethesda became one of the most hated studios because of it. Well, they're starting to regain their fanbase, but it was almost too late there. 

Anyway, Fallout 76 didn't get pulled from any game store. But thinking about it, maybe it should have been. Maybe if more games that are released in this state, like Fallout 76, or Cyberpunk 2077, we'll see Sony or MS remove them from their marketplace until they're fixed. Because I don't think a company should be able to sell shoddy games like this after it's been found to be broken. I think what Sony did was right, and I think it should be what more companies do when a poorly optimized game is released. 

These companies need to be shown that this type of nonsense isn't acceptable anymore. If you want to make and release a broken game, rest assured, you'll have to deal with that game eventually being removed until the problems are fixed. I think that's fair. What do you think? 

Should Sony, Microsoft and other gaming marketplaces, remove games that are in a broken state? I certainly think so, because there needs to be a change in the gaming industry, where we let these devs and publishers know that this is no longer acceptable to release broken games. Poorly made products get recalled all the time, maybe it's time games are included in that too. 

I absolutely agree. This will hit them both in PR department and their pockets because they'll have access to less customers. I also think if more games were getting removed, then developers would know that they have to provide a playable bug-free experience for us the gamers to enjoy. Steam and the others need to get on board with that as well.

7 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

I think one of the main problems is developers don't listen. If they see the $ sign on the game at all, they move forward with it, no matter how fucked up the game is. Sure that takes a hit to their reputation, but they think that as long a they make money, that they can handle it. But then you have to remember a little company called LJN. Look at what happened with them. A load of games that were considered to be some of the worst in gaming history, and they disappeared pretty quickly. If developers would look at that, and take a lesson from LJN, then maybe we would get games that aren't an anthill at release.

Right now, CD Projekt Red has been getting so much backlash that they had to call an emergency meeting because they utterly ruined their reputation with gamers on most platforms and it'll take some serious work to get that back because we never forget...