Register Now
Kane99

It's time for developers/publishers to stop rushing games to release

It really comes down to the gamers speaking their mind, and letting the industry know that this type of nonsense will not be accepted anymore. We're not going to accept broken games on release as finished products. We're not going to let studios talk down to us and give us meaningless apologies. 

Lets not forget that this wasn't the devs fault at CDPR, this is on the heads of the company and the publishers. I think it's mostly the publishers who are to blame. They push out these release dates that probably aren't ideal and get stingey when studios have to delay a game. Games take a lot of work to make happen, which is why I think publishers shouldn't force a game to release when it's not ready. That's all, just make sure what consumers are getting, are finished and working products. 

On 12/18/2020 at 9:21 PM, Kane99 said:

It really comes down to the gamers speaking their mind, and letting the industry know that this type of nonsense will not be accepted anymore. We're not going to accept broken games on release as finished products. We're not going to let studios talk down to us and give us meaningless apologies. 

That's honestly really what it all comes down to. Gamers really gotta let the Biz know that we're not gonna take this crap anymore and if you want our dollars then you need to do better. And do that buy just not buying the games. That's gonna send a clear message more than anything. 

12 hours ago, The Burnout Kid said:

That's honestly really what it all comes down to. Gamers really gotta let the Biz know that we're not gonna take this crap anymore and if you want our dollars then you need to do better. And do that by just not buying the games. That's gonna send a clear message more than anything. 

The only problem there, is that we would need to get millions of gamers on board with boycotting the games, which is a near impossible thing to do. The 10k members here at this forum wouldn't really make a noticeable impact if we all banded together to do a boycott. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for sending a message that we're sick of the bullshit and halfassed unfinished games. I'll be right there on the front line in my wheelchair to tell them to cut the shit, not cut the games. Gaming companies lost their integrity somewhere in the 1990's.

On 12/21/2020 at 10:14 AM, The Blackangel said:

The only problem there, is that we would need to get millions of gamers on board with boycotting the games, which is a near impossible thing to do. The 10k members here at this forum wouldn't really make a noticeable impact if we all banded together to do a boycott. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for sending a message that we're sick of the bullshit and halfassed unfinished games. I'll be right there on the front line in my wheelchair to tell them to cut the shit, not cut the games. Gaming companies lost their integrity somewhere in the 1990's.

One of the main issues we as gamers face is the gamers with the lack of self discipline/gaming addiction who need their fix and will get that by any means necessary. That's why we now need the help of the government to regulate the gaming industry because that's the way it's going. Government regulation would ruin most games for us but things can't continue the way they are...

13 hours ago, killamch89 said:

One of the main issues we as gamers face is the gamers with the lack of self discipline/gaming addiction who need their fix and will get that by any means necessary. That's why we now need the help of the government to regulate the gaming industry because that's the way it's going. Government regulation would ruin most games for us but things can't continue the way they are...

I wish to hell I could argue with you on that, but unfortunately, I can't. I have to agree. If we could just get someone with enough clout to join in our fight, even if it's only one person, then maybe that would get something done. It sure as hell couldn't hurt. We all know that money makes your words and opinions more valuable, truthful, and impactful. Whereas, those of us who have to save up to buy a $60 game because we can't afford it right now, have no value to our words and thoughts. We're a dime a dozen anyway, so who gives a shit?

Edited by The Blackangel

I've already posted my thoughts on a similar matter on this subreddit (my comment is under the name u/Fistfantastic) in regards to whether or not it should be a legal requirement for unfinished games to be marked as "Early Access", but the principle is about the same as this: it won't change as long as consumer habits don't change. Of course it's completely unreasonable to expect our demographic to boycott, stop pre-ordering, stop buying DLC/online passes/microtransactions/battle passes, I think the rot has long set in, but I'm still sure that is the solution. Boiled down to its simplest form, this is a matter supply and demand, and it's worrying how high the demand for broken games is.

I understand the problem people have with such a movement - nobody thinks they're to blame, and equally as much, nobody thinks they can make a difference. Not to inject politics into this discussion, but there's plenty of people who don't vote for this very reason. They don't believe their vote matters, or that because they voted unpopularly, they're absolved of the blame because "so did all the other people".

That said, the blame isn't squarely on consumers, I'm not that in favor of the devs. The management and the shareholders knew better (I don't want to entertain the possibility they didn't because of the kinds of money CD Projekt Red is sitting on). The fact that the programmers, artists, sound designers and all the rest who do the gruntwork had to call an emergency meeting with the chairmen of the board tells me that CDPR, and likely all so-called AAA studios don't know the state of each others' departments. And if that was going on before Covid-19 had everyone working from home or isolated from one-another in the office space, that shows a horrifying lack of communication that's in desperate need of changing.

As ever I'd like to think this will be the end of it. But it was the same with Aliens: Colonial Marines, and Battlefield 4, and Watch_Dogs, and Assassin's Creed Unity, and Destiny, and Evolve, and Batman: Arkham Knight (on PC), and The Order: 1886, and Star Wars Battlefront II, and Fallout 76, and Anthem.

Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing. - Edmund Burke.

On 12/21/2020 at 9:14 AM, The Blackangel said:

No Disrespect at all but this sent me to the moon. 

But to your point: You're not wrong though. But I'd like to think there's enough people out there feeling the same way and will let these companies know what's up but there's probably isn't.

35 minutes ago, The Burnout Kid said:

No Disrespect at all but this sent me to the moon. 

But to your point: You're not wrong though. But I'd like to think there's enough people out there feeling the same way and will let these companies know what's up but there's probably isn't.

I think times are changing, where gamers are finally taking notice. It may still be a slow process, but gamers are going to vote with their wallets I hope, and eventually we'll start to see more backlash for problems like what we're seeing with Cyberpunk 2077. It helps that these companies are making it so easy for us to hate on them too, and soon enough, no company will be able to get away form this type of mess. 

Actually, I'd say that time is now with Cyberpunk, as I think it's people have been most vocal with its problems than any other game in recent memory. Plus with the addition of problems back to Fallout 76, or Mass Effect Andromeda. People are increasingly taking notice, and things I think are going to start to change. 

1 hour ago, Kane99 said:

I think times are changing, where gamers are finally taking notice. It may still be a slow process, but gamers are going to vote with their wallets I hope, and eventually we'll start to see more backlash for problems like what we're seeing with Cyberpunk 2077. It helps that these companies are making it so easy for us to hate on them too, and soon enough, no company will be able to get away form this type of mess. 

Actually, I'd say that time is now with Cyberpunk, as I think it's people have been most vocal with its problems than any other game in recent memory. Plus with the addition of problems back to Fallout 76, or Mass Effect Andromeda. People are increasingly taking notice, and things I think are going to start to change. 

Yeah I agree the time is now because this has been happening for the longest time now. Hell cyberpunk should be the straw that broke the camels back tbh

On 12/15/2020 at 4:08 AM, killamch89 said:

They did offer an apology, promised refunds and fixes after the buggy launch so I'll be a tad more lenient on them unlike EA and others who would've told you to suck it up.

Aren't we tired of their silly apologies so far? They should have learnt from their previous mistakes and step up but they keep messing up all over again.