Register Now
Kane99

UK politicians call for action against PS5 and Xbox Series scalpers

I know I haven't been worried about this, since I prefer to buy my consoles several months after the initial releases of them. I prefer to know which varieties of the consoles end up having issues after the initial heavy use from the people who bought them, so I know what would be a better bang for my dollar.

It is good though, that they are trying to get this setup.

On the one hand I'm glad that our government is looking into ways of stopping scalpers, because this isn't wholesale retail or anything like that, it's just playing silly buggers. But when I see the money scalpers are making in the article linked, I'm not so sure our MPs are doing this for benevolant reasons. They way I see it is they've looked at the 28million dollar profit and have decided if they're not entitled to a hefty slice of that pie, nobody is. It's why I've a feeling that loot box bills are causing a fuss in the House of Lords because they've got grandchildren who have put them a few grand into debt with shady mechanics (fear not; it'll just be written off as expenses for the taxpayer to cover.)

I'll consider this a win for the games industry and its enthusiasts when I see it in action and at no cost to the public. While they're at it, they can do something about GPU prices skyrocketing. I'll start waving my Union Jack flag as soon as I get my RTX 3060.

6 hours ago, Withywarlock said:

On the one hand I'm glad that our government is looking into ways of stopping scalpers, because this isn't wholesale retail or anything like that, it's just playing silly buggers. But when I see the money scalpers are making in the article linked, I'm not so sure our MPs are doing this for benevolant reasons. They way I see it is they've looked at the 28million dollar profit and have decided if they're not entitled to a hefty slice of that pie, nobody is. It's why I've a feeling that loot box bills are causing a fuss in the House of Lords because they've got grandchildren who have put them a few grand into debt with shady mechanics (fear not; it'll just be written off as expenses for the taxpayer to cover.)

I'll consider this a win for the games industry and its enthusiasts when I see it in action and at no cost to the public. While they're at it, they can do something about GPU prices skyrocketing. I'll start waving my Union Jack flag as soon as I get my RTX 3060.

Sometimes in life we have to make some sacrifices and this is one of them because just like how the gaming industry cannot regulate itself properly, it's the same with scalpers. We all known politicians do most things for their own personal gain but in this instance, it's benevolent to the consumers so I'd give them a pass with this one. I would rather the government not get involved but at this point, it's the only thing that can at least bring back some kind of normalcy to the consumer market as a whole.