Register Now
Kane99

They're missing an opportunity to do a drive in esporting event

Wouldn't it be cool to have a drive in esporting event or a tournament? Drive in theaters could be a big commodity today with covid, as we may be stuck in this mess for another year. People could stay inside of their cars as they perform in the tournament. If you lose, you drive into another parking lot to watch the rest of the event. It would work for social distancing and would be safer than an actual event on stage. 

What do you guys think?

3 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Drive-in theater for movies is a good idea but for Esports, not so much. The reason being is that Esports players need to be in comfortable enough place to sit and play. Also, sponsors wouldn't allow this as well and it's the sponsorship money that talks.

True, but they could work out something where gamers are more comfortable. At least in terms of social distancing measures. Each team could be on separate sides, with plaster covering for added protection, and people watching can sit in their cars and watch the big screen. I could totally see it working out. 🙂 

I don't see this working nicely for drive-in type of games. I remember that a place called GameWorks had a pretty big F1 game where you would line up and get into actually F1 vehicle shells with the hardware inside to play, against 24 other players in their upper level.

Only problem is that if you don't have enough players at the given time, or if a unit fails/malfunctions, the height adjustment aspect needed, and esp. the cleaning required after every run wearing down rubber/plastic and electrical aspects rapidly. 

1 hour ago, Syntax said:

I don't see this working nicely for drive-in type of games. I remember that a place called GameWorks had a pretty big F1 game where you would line up and get into actually F1 vehicle shells with the hardware inside to play, against 24 other players in their upper level.

Only problem is that if you don't have enough players at the given time, or if a unit fails/malfunctions, the height adjustment aspect needed, and esp. the cleaning required after every run wearing down rubber/plastic and electrical aspects rapidly. 

I mean in regards to like drive in movie theaters. Where you bring your car, and that essentially where you also watch the movie from. In this case, people would have to play games from their cars. 

I figure this way, it'll help with social distancing measures, and you won't be so close to people. I could see it working if they do it right. 

22 hours ago, Kane99 said:

I mean in regards to like drive in movie theaters. Where you bring your car, and that essentially where you also watch the movie from. In this case, people would have to play games from their cars. 

I figure this way, it'll help with social distancing measures, and you won't be so close to people. I could see it working if they do it right. 

Ah - my bad, I understood the topic wrongly. 

Still, I think they would have to provide some type of controller or setup so you could be linked uniquely into the game - unless you mean that you would also bring all of your gear, and then link up via a local WiFi network everyone would use? Would be interesting, although not sure how many traction it would gain with people who have huge setups or want to play games that aren't ideal in a car (racing games, for example).