Register Now
StaceyPowers

Having to eat/sleep/etc. in video games: love it or loathe it?

@The Blackangel was mentioning the stress of feeding and caring for horses to keep them alive in RDR 2, and it got me thinking about how stressful it also is to me to play games that force me to eat and hydrate and sleep to stay alive on a particular schedule. I do kind of get the appeal from a realism standpoint, but it is distracting to me, and I already struggle with basic resource management (I'm not bad at it--it just gives me anxiety). What about you?

It depends on the game really but I tend to like a more light system that isn't super punishing for failing to feed your character etc. An overbearing system makes it feel like your playing the Sims and instead of enjoying the game, you spend most of your time trying to keep your character in optimal shape.

I like the realism. It makes the game more captivating and helps me get drawn into another world and forget the real world for a while. I'm actually living in 1899 and just trying to survive with the rest of the gang. Doing some hunting, some killing, some fighting, and some fucking, it's all the same to me. I'm in another time and place. And it all feels much happier.

If you into survival games that that's how they are. There are many games that are like that, Green hell is one of the best games that you can pickup that you need to sleep/eat/drink and rest and so is The Forest 🙂 

Down sized with the game called green hell is that you spend so much of your hours in game looking for food and water and as soon as you eat and drink, 2mins later in the game that you need to eat and drink again, No goddamn time to explore. 

4 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

Yes, this!

Skyrim has a mod called INeed and this is exactly what it does. The only thing is not needing to poop.

7 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

I like the realism. It makes the game more captivating and helps me get drawn into another world and forget the real world for a while. I'm actually living in 1899 and just trying to survive with the rest of the gang. Doing some hunting, some killing, some fighting, and some fucking, it's all the same to me. I'm in another time and place. And it all feels much happier.

I do somewhat agree but it's when a game overdoes it that I have an issue with it. 

15 hours ago, killamch89 said:

I do somewhat agree but it's when a game overdoes it that I have an issue with it. 

As long as the developers know where to draw the line, then it can add a lot to the game for the players. The problem there is that there's a thin line between an ok amount of these realism aspects, and going overboard. So it's a very tricky business. It's why a lot of games leave that out, or make it an optional and very minor part of the game.

It depends on the game really. If it's about survival, then I can accept it, but sometimes it becomes too much to manage. I don't mind doing it a little bit in most newer games, but I'd rather it just be simplified. I don't want to have to bathe my character every so often, or pee every few hours. I have to deal with that in real life, I don't want to deal with it all the time in my games. 

On 12/19/2020 at 1:03 PM, StaceyPowers said:

Good thing, as there is literally like one bathroom in all of Skyrim =D

Oh come now! We all know that in the medieval times they used to use the bushes lol!

8 hours ago, Kane99 said:

It depends on the game really. If it's about survival, then I can accept it, but sometimes it becomes too much to manage. I don't mind doing it a little bit in most newer games, but I'd rather it just be simplified. I don't want to have to bathe my character every so often, or pee every few hours. I have to deal with that in real life, I don't want to deal with it all the time in my games. 

My sentiments exactly!

10 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Oh come now! We all know that in the medieval times they used to use the bushes lol!

Screw medieval times, I grew up using the bushes. I used to voluntarily live rough in the woods for up to a month at a time. All I would take with me is my .410, a hatchet, and a survival knife. I could purify my own water, hunt and fish for my food, build my own shelters, make fire with 2 pieces of flint, and more. So when I say "live rough" I mean ROUGH.

Also if I'm out driving outside town and suddenly have to go, I'll pull over and drop my pants right there.

Edited by The Blackangel