Register Now
killamch89

Tricks your pet knows but you didn't teach it?

As pet owners, our pets bring a bit of wholeness to our world and also teaches you some lessons. They can surprise us at times with their antics. For instance, my dog Lassie knows how to start my car and blow the horn and she's only ever been in my car a couple of times and it's mainly trips to the vet and back. Needless to say, I learnt that she could do this on my way back from the vet. I had stopped at the grocery store to pick up something and when I came back out, I heard someone blowing my car horn. I was like who could that be? but then that question answered itself when I just remembered which dog was in my car and when opened the driver door, there she is blowing the car horn. She was so impatient to go home that when I got in the car, she jumped in my lap and pressed the start button on my car starting it. You could imagine my shock! I'd like to hear about your pets and their antics!

My pitbull Lady, is entitled as hell. She doesn't ask for attention, she takes it. When she wants me she will just come and climb up on me. She will even use her nose to move my leg out of the way so she has room to climb up. My conure Apple, thinks I'm a jungle gym and climbs all over my head, usually hanging on my glasses and playing with my piercings. My dragons (Edgar and Lenore) love to run. They just run. Everywhere. They're like Forrest Gump on crack. The three chihuahuas bark at literally everything. If I fart in the bedroom with the door closed, rest assured they will bark. Then they act like big babies when they see either of us. My rats think they're monkeys. They climb on every single part of their enclosures, and even hang upside down from the top by their tails. 10 rats many of which think they're monkeys. My girl just got an animal that by its species is the most high strung and panicky creature on earth. A friggin parakeet. The damn thing flips out over EVERYTHING. It drives me nuts. I blink and it's losing its shit.

That's 18 clinically insane creatures.

I'm one camel away from being able to charge admission.

4 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

My pitbull Lady, is entitled as hell. She doesn't ask for attention, she takes it. When she wants me she will just come and climb up on me. She will even use her nose to move my leg out of the way so she has room to climb up. My conure Apple, thinks I'm a jungle gym and climbs all over my head, usually hanging on my glasses and playing with my piercings. My dragons (Edgar and Lenore) love to run. They just run. Everywhere. They're like Forrest Gump on crack. The three chihuahuas bark at literally everything. If I fart in the bedroom with the door closed, rest assured they will bark. Then they act like big babies when they see either of us. My rats think they're monkeys. They climb on every single part of their enclosures, and even hang upside down from the top by their tails. 10 rats many of which think they're monkeys. My girl just got an animal that by its species is the most high strung and panicky creature on earth. A friggin parakeet. The damn thing flips out over EVERYTHING. It drives me nuts. I blink and it's losing its shit.

That's 18 clinically insane creatures.

I'm one camel away from being able to charge admission.

My word! You have a whole Zoo at home and here's me thinking that having 3 dogs, a stray cat that comes and goes and a pigeon who nursed back to full heath that also comes and goes was a lot. Where do you keep them all? On another note, it's quite interesting that raising multiple pets lets you realize that just like us they have their own personalities and habits. No two animals are exactly alike. I always wanted a Parakeet but I'd have to wait until I can buy myself a bigger house before I even consider it. Something I also learnt growing up with animals is that they feed off your emotional state so if you're calm they'll be calm but if it changes even a bit they'll start to flip out. 

17 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Where do you keep them all?

The dogs just roam around the house and yard. The birds are each in their own cage on opposite sides of our living room. One rat is in a cage by himself in our computer room. The others are in separate cages in the living room. The dragons are in separate aquariums in the bedroom. My 4 female rats are kept separate from the males for obvious reasons. The dragons have to be kept separate because by nature they're solitary creatures. The two that I have were kept together when they were young by the people I got them from, and the female bit off part of the male's tail. That was when they decided that an extra aquarium was needed. One of my male rats is mean towards other rats, so we have to keep him separate. He's friendly to people. He's just really timid and shy.

Never had a dog growing up. Yet had a guy that did and yes he did teach his dog. 🙂 

He trained him to "give me a kiss" act, which was a trick in which he wanted to offered him to cheek and he licked it exactly once. No idea why but something that he wanted to do. Works after he feeds him treats for unless amount. Goodby and give him a kiss. 

On 12/19/2020 at 9:47 AM, The Blackangel said:

The dogs just roam around the house and yard. The birds are each in their own cage on opposite sides of our living room. One rat is in a cage by himself in our computer room. The others are in separate cages in the living room. The dragons are in separate aquariums in the bedroom. My 4 female rats are kept separate from the males for obvious reasons. The dragons have to be kept separate because by nature they're solitary creatures. The two that I have were kept together when they were young by the people I got them from, and the female bit off part of the male's tail. That was when they decided that an extra aquarium was needed. One of my male rats is mean towards other rats, so we have to keep him separate. He's friendly to people. He's just really timid and shy.

It's funny how the dogs are the ones that require the least amount of maintenance out of all your pets. With almost every other pet, they have to kept under very strict conditions.

On 12/19/2020 at 4:06 PM, AndreiMirfi said:

My dog likes to relax a lot... like A LOT. When he wakes up, he eats and then he stays and watches the sun.

My dogs pretty much sleep all day unless I come outside and take them for a walk or play with them or when it's food time. My dog Lassie has a habit of jumping in my car when I'm about to go somewhere. Like, the minute I open the Driver's door she just dives right in and gets in the back seat. I have to be like " No girl, I can't carry you with me". She tries to give me the eyes but then she slow jumps back out...

On 12/20/2020 at 7:41 AM, Empire said:

Never had a dog growing up. Yet had a guy that did and yes he did teach his dog. 🙂 

He trained him to "give me a kiss" act, which was a trick in which he wanted to offered him to cheek and he licked it exactly once. No idea why but something that he wanted to do. Works after he feeds him treats for unless amount. Goodby and give him a kiss. 

Dogs are pretty smart animals - far more than most people realize. They know you better than you realize. If you also watch them very closely, they'll take on some of your habits and tendencies as well. 

6 hours ago, killamch89 said:

It's funny how the dogs are the ones that require the least amount of maintenance out of all your pets. With almost every other pet, they have to kept under very strict conditions.

It’s a lot of work to take care of all of them, but the rewards far outweigh the work. I’ve told my girl several times that if I could, I would have hundreds of rats. But unfortunately that’s not a viable option. I would also have tons of pitbulls. Out of all of them, it’s an honest toss up between the dragons and rats as to who is more high maintenance. A lot of people will try to say rats are low maintenance, but that’s pure bullshit. The dragons have to have their heat lamps on constantly, and the UV bulb on during the day. I actually wrote an article about rats as pets a couple years ago. I can post it here if anyone is interested.

2 hours ago, m76 said:

Almost every one of my cats have learned how to open the mosquito net on the door, to get inside the kitchen, the clever ones used their paw to open it, some of them climbed on it and let gravity work for them. 

You know what always gets me? It's when you raise a bunch of kittens or puppies from birth and after a while you start to see their individual personalities and how they approach different situations (like how your cats open the mosquito net). 

15 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

It’s a lot of work to take care of all of them, but the rewards far outweigh the work. I’ve told my girl several times that if I could, I would have hundreds of rats. But unfortunately that’s not a viable option. I would also have tons of pitbulls. Out of all of them, it’s an honest toss up between the dragons and rats as to who is more high maintenance. A lot of people will try to say rats are low maintenance, but that’s pure bullshit. The dragons have to have their heat lamps on constantly, and the UV bulb on during the day. I actually wrote an article about rats as pets a couple years ago. I can post it here if anyone is interested.

If you want to, you can post your article on rats. Pitbulls aren't as bad as most people make them out to be but you have to properly train them. I had a Pitbull Labrador mixed puppy called Rex back in the days and he was such a loving dog. His dad Max( a Pitbull) was a really friendly one as well but he was strong and heavy!(fyi he wasn't my dog, it was a friends dog). Just like any other dog, you have to train them properly and give them lots of affection, they'll turn out alright. The bad reputation that Pitbulls have gotten over the years is mainly due to terrible owners.

Pitbulls are also used as a scapegoat. 99% of all dog attacks are mutts that only ahe a physical characteristic that looks like one of the characteristics of a pitbull. Like head shape, or should width, or something else. For that reason alone, they’re called a pitbull by the stupid and the ignorant. Pitbulls are in actual fact very gentle dogs by nature. Sure, there’s a bad apple in every barrel, but it’s rare. 15 years ago it was Rottweillers. 20 years ago it was German Shepherds. 30 years ago it was Dobermans. What’s next? Yorkies? Beagles? Blue Heelers? I can tell you right now that my chihuahuas are a hell of a lot meaner than any pitbull. And they are all bark, and no bite. Hell, my bird is meaner than a pitbull. But then, she doesn’t like anyone who isn’t me. She will attack anyone who tries to handle her (except me) and her damn beak is SHARP. She loves to groom me, but ended up ripping my toe open a couple days ago.

16 hours ago, m76 said:

I don't care about their personality. I just think they are ugly. No offence but to me they look like rats on steroids. Scary.

Not all of them look that ugly! I'm sorry but your comment absolutely cracked me up.

16 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

Pitbulls are also used as a scapegoat. 99% of all dog attacks are mutts that only ahe a physical characteristic that looks like one of the characteristics of a pitbull. Like head shape, or should width, or something else. For that reason alone, they’re called a pitbull by the stupid and the ignorant. Pitbulls are in actual fact very gentle dogs by nature. Sure, there’s a bad apple in every barrel, but it’s rare. 15 years ago it was Rottweillers. 20 years ago it was German Shepherds. 30 years ago it was Dobermans. What’s next? Yorkies? Beagles? Blue Heelers? I can tell you right now that my chihuahuas are a hell of a lot meaner than any pitbull. And they are all bark, and no bite. Hell, my bird is meaner than a pitbull. But then, she doesn’t like anyone who isn’t me. She will attack anyone who tries to handle her (except me) and her damn beak is SHARP. She loves to groom me, but ended up ripping my toe open a couple days ago.

I also know of the practice of some people feeding their pitbull Marijuana tea or steroids to make their dogs extra vicious which is extremely cruel to the animal in my opinion. By the the way, Your pitbull is gorgeous!

10 hours ago, killamch89 said:

I also know of the practice of some people feeding their pitbull Marijuana tea or steroids to make their dogs extra vicious which is extremely cruel to the animal in my opinion. By the the way, Your pitbull is gorgeous!

I have never heard of anyone doing that with any dog, let alone a pitbull. Sure I know people will sometimes get stoned and their pets get a contact high, but intentionally giving the dog drugs to make it mean is new to me. I always assumed there were people doing that kind of shit for whatever reason, but was at the same time hoping it was just a paranoid thought that originated in my own head.

Thank you about her. I'll make sure Lady knows!