Register Now
Kane99

What are you going to do with your old consoles?

I'm sure some of us here will be picking up a new gen console soon enough, and when that time comes, we often retire our older consoles. What will you retire those consoles for? I will probably retire my console to the living room where I'll use it for streaming and playing other games if I so desire. But other than that, I probably won't use it for much else. What about you? 

Contact your local hospital and see if the children's ward has any need for it. You could sell it locally or you could donate it to any place that will take it. You could also sell it on eBay or similar. Or just give it away to someone who wants it. I know that you want them to go to someone who will appreciate it, but recycling is also an option if you're not finding anything else you want to do with it that would at least let some of the raw materials go back to be used by people who will appreciate the new items made from the finite resources that can be salvaged from it.

Keep it. Everyone knows I play the old stuff, but there are also some DDL's that I don't want to have to pay for again and have to start all over with. I also have some disc games like RDR2 that I'm well into and don't want to be forced to restart a new game. I only want to start a new game when I feel like I want to do it. Not because I have no choice.

7 hours ago, Empire said:

Contact your local hospital and see if the children's ward has any need for it. You could sell it locally or you could donate it to any place that will take it. You could also sell it on eBay or similar. Or just give it away to someone who wants it. I know that you want them to go to someone who will appreciate it, but recycling is also an option if you're not finding anything else you want to do with it that would at least let some of the raw materials go back to be used by people who will appreciate the new items made from the finite resources that can be salvaged from it.

This is something I would love to do. I think there is a charity group that donates games/consoles to kids in hospitals. If I ever find duplicate working consoles, I'll be sure to consider this. 🙂 

5 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

Keep it. Everyone knows I play the old stuff, but there are also some DDL's that I don't want to have to pay for again and have to start all over with. I also have some disc games like RDR2 that I'm well into and don't want to be forced to restart a new game. I only want to start a new game when I feel like I want to do it. Not because I have no choice.

Oh for sure. I have no plans of selling my old consoles. Even with the Xbox One, I will just use that in my living room. 

I havn't mention this myself but that's one option also that you can do, keep it for yourself so that you have games that you may want to look back or maybe  10 years or 50 years time that the old console might be worth allot of money. I doubt it will be unless you have the limited edition.  

Sure, they may have malfunctioned a bit or given you a few troubles. But you are that one loved user that left and didn’t come back because you had found another love. Now, that console box is just laid there, jilted like a true ex-box.

You must be getting the thrills with your new console though; I mean – everyone gets the thrills. But you don’t have to leave your former consoles rotting away, or worse, at the bottom of a trash bin. In the spirit of console-ation, you can keep the lights on for them, by trying to putting them to good use.

On 12/21/2020 at 8:18 AM, Empire said:

You know, this is a fantastic suggestion as well. I have never really though about and it's ironic since my mother works as a radiologist at the hospital. 

13 hours ago, Empire said:

I havn't mention this myself but that's one option also that you can do, keep it for yourself so that you have games that you may want to look back or maybe  10 years or 50 years time that the old console might be worth allot of money. I doubt it will be unless you have the limited edition.  

That's kind of a needle in a haystack kind of thing though because you never know which consoles will increase in price over the years and if you'll be lucky enough to find a rich buyer.

13 hours ago, bomb said:

Sure, they may have malfunctioned a bit or given you a few troubles. But you are that one loved user that left and didn’t come back because you had found another love. Now, that console box is just laid there, jilted like a true ex-box.

You must be getting the thrills with your new console though; I mean – everyone gets the thrills. But you don’t have to leave your former consoles rotting away, or worse, at the bottom of a trash bin. In the spirit of console-ation, you can keep the lights on for them, by trying to putting them to good use.

I agree - having consoles just sitting around gathering dust isn't the way to go. 

10 hours ago, killamch89 said:

That's kind of a needle in a haystack kind of thing though because you never know which consoles will increase in price over the years and if you'll be lucky enough to find a rich buyer.

That's why I said having/owning a limited edition and then able to sell it in 50 years time 😛 Some people say that the PS2 is worth something in the future. I still have two old PS2 controllers laying around 🙂 But we do not know what the days and years ahead is going to be like yet. 

On 12/21/2020 at 1:18 PM, Empire said:

That's a really neat idea, about donating it to charity or a hospital. Normally I'd just dump it at a charity shop or with my cousins but at a hospital or some other facility I could see it getting a lot more use and providing a lot more joy to those people. It might even remind me to stop being a cynical old git all the time, and enjoy games while we're still around 'cause there's those who aren't able to. ^^