Register Now
Kane99

Emulators on consoles, should they be allowed?

In recent years, emulators have been showing up on consoles, namely the Xbox One and I hear the Series X and S has an emulator for some other consoles. Do you think it should be allowed for these consoles to have emulators on their app stores? I think it should be allowed, considering you can install them on a windows pc. But then again, I can see why Microsoft and Sony would remove emulators, as it's a risk to allow them. 

What is your opinion on this? Do you think gamers should be allowed to install emulators on their consoles? Or should emulators even be allowed on the marketplace? 

This brings my point back to all the flashback systems. They're nothing but emulators. People have hacked them and loaded 100's to 1000's more games on them, which from what I understand is so easy, a frog could do it. Granted these systems are running 30 year old games, but I feel the principle is the same.

Edited by The Blackangel

As if this week wasn't already front-loaded with console news, Microsoft just approved an emulator for the Xbox One that can play classic Nintendo games. It allows users to play ROMs of NES, Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis, Game Boy Color, and Game Boy Advanced titles.

6 minutes ago, bomb said:

As if this week wasn't already front-loaded with console news, Microsoft just approved an emulator for the Xbox One that can play classic Nintendo games. It allows users to play ROMs of NES, Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis, Game Boy Color, and Game Boy Advanced titles.

If true, expect Nintendo to pull the plug on that immediately. 

19 minutes ago, bomb said:

That would be copyright infringement, and Nintendo could effectively take Microsoft down on that one.

5 hours ago, Shagger said:

If true, expect Nintendo to pull the plug on that immediately. 

We all know that Nintendo are the ultimate party poopers so they'll definitely do that. That being said, this is actually good move if Nintendo doesn't ruin it. I always preferred PC gaming to console because of all the limitation it has when it comes to adding custom software like emulators.

3 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Yeah, anything relating to Nintendo will be removed. You might be able to get an emulator on the Xbox One, but if it's anything relating to Nintendo in name, it'll be removed. 

Everyone act surprised when this happens 😹

There was a long complicated discussion about them, same goes to downloading games roms from internet, some say it's illegal, and some say it's legal as companies stopped making money from those games and they won't make any benefit/lose anything if you download roms, it's still a mystery.

1 hour ago, Patrik said:

There was a long complicated discussion about them, same goes to downloading games roms from internet, some say it's illegal, and some say it's legal as companies stopped making money from those games and they won't make any benefit/lose anything if you download roms, it's still a mystery.

Technically uploading roms is more illegal. You can legally make a backup of a rom, but once you upload it online, you could get in trouble. That's why a lot of rom sites have been forced to remove roms, because of them letting people download that content, is technically theft. A lot of companies may still own copyright of those games, and some may even have them available for sale on digital marketplaces. 

2 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Technically uploading roms is more illegal. You can legally make a backup of a rom, but once you upload it online, you could get in trouble. That's why a lot of rom sites have been forced to remove roms, because of them letting people download that content, is technically theft. A lot of companies may still own copyright of those games, and some may even have them available for sale on digital marketplaces. 

That's what i'm talking about, but another side says that you aren't hurting the companies nor the developers as those games stopped being reproduced and using their roms won't hurt anyone as they are kinda hard to find

17 hours ago, Patrik said:

That's what i'm talking about, but another side says that you aren't hurting the companies nor the developers as those games stopped being reproduced and using their roms won't hurt anyone as they are kinda hard to find

Exactly - they can't even benefit from any sales because these products for the most part, aren't on sale anymore so there really shouldn't be that big of an issue but Nintendo will definitely find a way to make it an issue...

I'm a Nintendo girl, and always will be, but they're pretty stingy about their games. From what I understand, they had a fit when FF7 was released on PlayStation. Since all the previous Final Fantasy games were on Nintendo systems, they thought that all Final Fantasy games would be Nintendo games. Not quite guys.

5 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

I'm a Nintendo girl, and always will be, but they're pretty stingy about their games. From what I understand, they had a fit when FF7 was released on PlayStation. Since all the previous Final Fantasy games were on Nintendo systems, they thought that all Final Fantasy games would be Nintendo games. Not quite guys.

I definitely remembered that and for some time, they wouldn't work with Square Enix. As I said in previous response, they can be very petty about their games and they always find a way to shit on the community.

Acting like a 2 year old when you don't get your way doesn't exactly help your case either. They were lucky to get ports of FF7, FF8, and FFX/X2 on Switch. I don't think any others have been ported to Switch, but I could be wrong on that. There may be others coming in the future, but as of this moment, I'm unaware of any.

Edited by The Blackangel