Register Now
Kane99

Emulators on consoles, should they be allowed?

1 hour ago, The Blackangel said:

Acting like a 2 year old when you don't get your way doesn't exactly help your case either. They were lucky to get ports of FF7, FF8, and FFX/X2 on Switch. I don't think any others have been ported to Switch, but I could be wrong on that. There may be others coming in the future, but as of this moment, I'm unaware of any.

Well they have kind of repatched things recently because some of the Square Enix characters are in Smash Ultimate so they might very well port the other Final Fantasy games to Switch as well. It was hilarious how they told Square Enix to "never come back" because of the whole FF7 fiasco.

On 12/22/2020 at 4:12 PM, The Blackangel said:

That would be copyright infringement, and Nintendo could effectively take Microsoft down on that one.

Seriously, if they would be too silly not to know the legal ramifications of what they are trying to do, it's definitely going to cost them more than what they would ever gain from it. 

On 1/4/2021 at 4:03 PM, Kane99 said:

Technically uploading roms is more illegal. You can legally make a backup of a rom, but once you upload it online, you could get in trouble. That's why a lot of rom sites have been forced to remove roms, because of them letting people download that content, is technically theft. A lot of companies may still own copyright of those games, and some may even have them available for sale on digital marketplaces. 

On that point I have always wondered about ROM-Hacks. Where is the legal standing on them? For example I own three Zelda ROM-Hacks. Goddess Of Wisdom, Parallel Worlds, and Ancient Stone Tablets. They're fan made games, but they're basically Zelda spinoffs like Majoras Mask or Minish Cap. Also they have the Nintendo seal of approval on the labels. For example here's a couple pics of Parallel Worlds and Goddess Of Wisdom.

Parallel Worlds.jpg

Goddess Of Wisdom.jpg

PW & GoW.jpg

Edited by The Blackangel

On 12/21/2020 at 10:00 PM, Kane99 said:

In recent years, emulators have been showing up on consoles, namely the Xbox One and I hear the Series X and S has an emulator for some other consoles. Do you think it should be allowed for these consoles to have emulators on their app stores? I think it should be allowed, considering you can install them on a windows pc. But then again, I can see why Microsoft and Sony would remove emulators, as it's a risk to allow them. 

What is your opinion on this? Do you think gamers should be allowed to install emulators on their consoles? Or should emulators even be allowed on the marketplace? 

Personally, I think it's something that most gamers would be open to doing because it's going to give them more variety to the games they can enjoy but definitely some gaming companies wouldn't allow it freely.