Register Now
Kane99

KFC's KFConsole Is Real: Secret Ingredient Is Intel Silicon

Um, I don't know whether to believe this or not, but Tom's Hardware has an article discussing KFC's video game console, KFConsole. Yes, you heard me right. Now that KFC has landed in the short movie game, they're also making a console. 

This is so confusing to me lol. But it's for sure real. There's literally a page for it on cooler master right now. Read more on this story here - Tom's Hardware

Trailer

I heard about this yesterday and was going to a post on it as well but just like you I wasn't sure this is real or not. I'm not sure what marketing tactic KFC is trying here but this has to be an odd one. First we had the Xbox controllers and now this - Next we'll get the KFC ARM processor as well (why am I giving them more ridiculous ideas).

When I come across shit like this, I usually get pessimistic and dismiss it, but this time I want it to be real. What we are essentially looking at here is a reiteration of the Steam Machine (to be be clear, I hated steam machines and they soon faded away), but this interesting. 

This is a PC that uses the heat vented out of the components, usually wasted energy, for a practical purpose. Don't ask me whare I saw it because I'll never remember, but I once read a publication of an experiment online whare somebody built a fully functional gaming PC, removed the heat sinks, made the necessary seals the immersed this circuitry into a tub of cooking oil. Not only did the PC work, after a few minutes they able to fry food in the cooking oil as if were a deep fat fryer. That's how hot these things get.

They promise up to 240fps at 4K. The estimated price I've seen quoted is around $2000, so we're talking a mid-high range PC, and if it does come out, for someone looking at a new PC build at about that price, I think it's a neat idea.

3 hours ago, Shagger said:

When I come across shit like this, I usually get pessimistic and dismiss it, but this time I want it to be real. What we are essentially looking at here is a reiteration of the Steam Machine (to be be clear, I hated steam machines and they soon faded away), but this interesting. 

This is a PC that uses the heat vented out of the components, usually wasted energy, for a practical purpose. Don't ask me whare I saw it because I'll never remember, but I once read a publication of an experiment online whare somebody built a fully functional gaming PC, removed the heat sinks, made the necessary seals the immersed this circuitry into a tub of cooking oil. Not only did the PC work, after a few minutes they able to fry food in the cooking oil as if were a deep fat fryer. That's how hot these things get.

They promise up to 240fps at 4K. The estimated price I've seen quoted is around $2000, so we're talking a mid-high range PC, and if it does come out, for someone looking at a new PC build at about that price, I think it's a neat idea.

Let's see it in action first. I mean the whole concept theoretically speaking, sounds logical in using the heat generated but KFC is going develop this? Then again, I've seen so much weird stuff happen in 2020 I should take this seriously...I'm not going to lie, it'll take me a bit of time to warm up to the idea. 

That trailer is more inspiring than it has any right to be. Give me five of these systems! >.<

15 hours ago, Shagger said:

I liked the idea of Steam Machines but Valve's marketing strategy was dire. Come to think of it I sort of wonder if they wanted it to fail given how ordering via Steam was hidden away, and they were given little shelf space in stores like Gamestop and GAME.

This is a PC that uses the heat vented out of the components, usually wasted energy, for a practical purpose.

I concur that it's a PC what with the interchangable components rather than the console they market it as, though I'd love to see the facts and figures behind the energy output so that we can see what their idea of warming up the meat is. For reference, my GPU's fans start kicking in at about 65-75 degrees celsius, and it's in a mid-tower case with plentiful ventilation. How the KFC handles the heat transfer and cooling will be interesting stuff, but I trust it's in good hands if it's a Cooler Master case.

Don't ask me whare I saw it because I'll never remember, but I once read a publication of an experiment online whare somebody built a fully functional gaming PC, removed the heat sinks, made the necessary seals the immersed this circuitry into a tub of cooking oil. Not only did the PC work, after a few minutes they able to fry food in the cooking oil as if were a deep fat fryer. That's how hot these things get.

At first I thought this would've been a Linus Tech Tips video, but turns out those were mineral oil rather than vegetable oils and such, so I did some digging and tried to find a specific video with this. I had thought it would be this one, but the PC died just before they tried to cook the egg rolls. Though I did come across this blog post, so it might be possible to cook food rather than just warm it on the outside.

They promise up to 240fps at 4K. The estimated price I've seen quoted is around $2000, so we're talking a mid-high range PC

I could believe that. If it was either 240FPS or 4k then I'd find that a lot more believable at a lower cost, but even then the KFC and Cooler Master logo probably mark it up a fair bit anyway.

Honestly I'm a lot more excited about this becoming a reality than I was before now!

>bangs head many times<

For the love of the Gods, will someone please tell me this is just a bullshit joke, and that all we saw was an advertisement for a cooking utensil REFERRED TO as a "console" for some misbegotten reason? Maybe it's one of those air fryers or something?

"We're having chicken tonight, Where's that chicken console at?"

Edited by The Blackangel

This is basically an Intel NUC 9 Extreme mini PC with a grill tray compartment on top.

image.thumb.png.b08de73482b50e07a5e75477e1398b39.png

Personally I think it's a stupid idea.  It's not practical since you will need to have it running under load to keep the tray warm, it will be a nightmare to keep clean and it certainly won't do any favours in terms of keeping your PC cool.  I wouldn't want greasy, lukewarm KFC leftovers anywhere near what is a pretty expensive system.

Edited by Crazycrab

On 12/25/2020 at 11:32 AM, Crazycrab said:

This is basically an Intel NUC 9 Extreme mini PC with a grill tray compartment on top.

image.thumb.png.b08de73482b50e07a5e75477e1398b39.png

Personally I think it's a stupid idea.  It's not practical since you will need to have it running under load to keep the tray warm, it will be a nightmare to keep clean and it certainly won't do any favours in terms of keeping your PC cool.  I wouldn't want greasy, lukewarm KFC leftovers anywhere near what is a pretty expensive system.

We also need to remind people that KFC has done things like this in the past for promotional purposes and never released the actual items. If my memory serves me right, back in the days they promised to release a DVD player(or was it another console?) and got all the hype and promotion and turns around and says it was just for promotion. KFC are shameless when it comes to advertising.

lol I don't think the tray is meant to cook chicken, it's just to keep it warm lol. But still I get what everyone is saying. Just don't use that part lol. I know I would never use it. But even so, there's no chance I'd ever buy this type of console anyway. 

As well, I suspect this thing isn't meant to compete with any consoles. I'm starting to think it was meant for a short run and they'd eventually discontinue it. Especially if the specs aren't that great. 

4 hours ago, Kane99 said:

lol I don't think the tray is meant to cook chicken, it's just to keep it warm lol. But still I get what everyone is saying. Just don't use that part lol. I know I would never use it. But even so, there's no chance I'd ever buy this type of console anyway. 

As well, I suspect this thing isn't meant to compete with any consoles. I'm starting to think it was meant for a short run and they'd eventually discontinue it. Especially if the specs aren't that great. 

By now I just think it's one of KFC's bizarre marketing campaigns. As a said in a previous response, I do remember them doing something like this back in the day and they never followed it through but we'll see. I agree with you that it probably won't be a big hit and was meant for a short run.