Register Now
Kane99

Sega Saturn

Is anyone here familiar with the Sega Saturn? It was the obscure console that came out before the Sega Dreamcast. It was their answer to the PS1, but sadly didn't sell all too well in the states. My dad ended up getting two used Sega Saturn's for just $37 back in the early/mid 2000s. I got Virtua Fighter, Virtua Cop, and a few other games with it. Sadly I sold the boxed up one to a Play n trade store years ago. I still have one of the Saturns and I have the virtual cop/fighter games. I even still have a couple of my lite guns for the console. Sadly, my controller for it is damaged, so I need to find a replacement if I ever want to replay it. 

But yeah, do you remember the Sega Saturn? I actually kind of liked it. Felt different then other consoles. 

I remember it well, but never had one of my own. Some cousins of mine were Sega fans instead of Nintendo, and had every Sega add on and Sega system that came out. Sega Saturn, Sega CD, 32X, Game Gear, Nomad, Dreamcast, all of it. I wasn't all that into it, mainly because I'm a Nintendo girl. But if memory serves me correct, they had a lot of issues with it. I don't remember all of them, but I remember them saying that the system ran really violently and scratched the discs a lot. They said their friends who had the system had the same issues. I think that was why it didn't sell all that well.

I have one, there’s some pretty cool games on it, but you have to be into those specific niches. Another sad factor is that quite a few of their best games were Japanese exclusives (the Saturn’s most successful market, and also the only successful Sega console in Japan), or the better games didn’t sell very well, especially their releases in 1998 due to low print runs.

It was a shame it bombed, but that’s what happens when Sega bombed their surprise early launch at the first E3 and pissed off many major retailers. It also didn’t help that Sony’s E3 appearance was also a stab at Sega where instead of talking about they only mentioned the price “$299”, as opposed to the Saturn’s launch price of $399.

7 hours ago, Grungie said:

(the Saturn’s most successful market, and also the only successful Sega console in Japan), 

the dreamcast sold very well in japan especially in it's first few years. also don't forget that the dreamcast libary of games is as big as the japanese gamecube and japanese og xbox combined consider the fact the console was supported in japan up until 2006 it coulden't have done that badly. The mega drive also diden't too bad in japan but it was outsold by the super famicom and the pc engine, i'd say there is nothing to be ashamed off being outsold by both those consoles.

Now back to the topic, i had a saturn when it was around i was a sega kid at the time and have found memories of the console,  like in the late 90 ies stores were dumping their games for next to nothing, i remember picking up a copy of panzer dragoon sage for like 15 euros alongside a shining force game who's name eludes me for now. I'd say from a nostalgic point of view sega rally and daytona usa or my favourite games on the system.

I've collected on and off for the japanese saturn over the years with the aim of getting a full set, i have stalled around 850 ish games, if i woulden't get sidetracked all the time i might have completed it by now. I just can't get myself around to it by having to chip away on all these sports and mahjong games. while i do have nearly all the good and rare games including some not for sale stuff like delisoba deluxe, eyeful home and heim waltz to just to name a few. Maybe i will pick up saturn collecting again in the near future.

Edited by Yaramaki

1 hour ago, Yaramaki said:

the dreamcast sold very well in japan especially in it's first few years. also don't forget that the dreamcast libary of games is as big as the japanese gamecube and japanese og xbox combined consider the fact the console was supported in japan up until 2006 it coulden't have done that badly. The mega drive also diden't too bad in japan but it was outsold by the super famicom and the pc engine, i'd say there is nothing to be ashamed off being outsold by both those consoles.

I was going off the sales figures of the consoles in Japan. The Saturn selling about 8-10 million (depending on your source) which you will see a sharp drop compared to 3 million for the Mega Drive, and the Dreamcast selling 2 million. 

I have a Sega Saturn, but honestly it's my least favorite Sega console. I was a die hard Sega kid growing up, and I love the Sega Genesis. I would have liked the Saturn if it had more Sonic titles. Sure there's Sonic Jam, but that's just ports of the Genesis titles. Sonic R is a racing game, which I would love to own someday to add to my collection but it's not a main Sonic title. Sonic 3D was just a graphically enhanced version of the Genesis title. Sonic Xtreme was going to be the main Sonic title, but due to development issues it never was finished. If you're into fighting games, the Saturn does have some decent titles. I highly suggest importing Japanese copies of games since the US copies are way too overpriced. I got lucky I found Sonic 3D cheap, I imported the Japanese version of Sonic Jam.

I never had a Sega Saturn myself growing up but I did have a friend that did and they used to enjoy playing on it but I never bothered. It was one of the consoles that I missed out on back then but didn't seem to be one that I regretted missing out on. 

I remember the Sega Master System being my favorite Sega console when I was a kid.

On 4/16/2023 at 3:57 PM, Shortie said:

I never had a Sega Saturn myself growing up but I did have a friend that did and they used to enjoy playing on it but I never bothered. It was one of the consoles that I missed out on back then but didn't seem to be one that I regretted missing out on. 

I remember the Sega Master System being my favorite Sega console when I was a kid.

I had a Sega Saturn but it was overshadow by both the Snes and my Sega genesis. I spent more time on those two than the Saturn. It was a fantastic console but if just never felt like a big enough improvement on the Genesis.