Register Now
Kane99

A driving simulator like Flying simulator?

You know with Flight Simulator, it essentially lets you fly all over the world. Wouldn't be kind of cool to have a driving sim game where you can drive anywhere in the world? I imagine it would be very costly to do a game like this, as Flight Simulator doesn't show all the details on ground, but I think it could easily be possible. Would you like to see a game like this made?

I don't think there's a game where you can do that as an open world game, there are other simulators such as euro truck, but it's limited to Europe only unfortunately, there are some mods for maps there, but there are nowhere to be close to reality unfortunately

On 12/30/2020 at 5:07 PM, Patrik said:

I don't think there's a game where you can do that as an open world game, there are other simulators such as euro truck, but it's limited to Europe only unfortunately, there are some mods for maps there, but there are nowhere to be close to reality unfortunately

Yeah I'd disagree a bit, but the focus on the maps is not so good, but you can't blame them, they do have realistic terrain and everything (compared to what I've seen in real life), but it is mainly a Truck Driving Sim so they focus on the trucks more. You can do America Truck Simulator as well, and there are a bunch of others, but there isn't a world wide one.

As for drivng sims, I wonder why no one made one yet. This might be a good idea to work on...Great I might write it down and make a car sim 😄

Test Drive Unlimited is the closest thing to that. It has Oahu in 1:1 scale. Of course the buildings and landmarks aren't all included.

But you won't get a driving sim any time soon that covers the entire earth. Flight sim is easy. You get aerial photographs it's done, as planes fly thousands of feet in the air. There is not much fine detail needed to make it immersive. Cars drive on the ground, everything needs to be detailed otherwise it would be worthless.

Edited by m76

I have seen a few car simulators before. The ones I have seen are weird setups, since the goal wasn't to use it in a standard simulator experience, but for gaming. I mean, what else is a Aircraft simulator, other than basically a game that is setup to help you learn?

The basic idea of the ones I have seen, is that you have the basic build of a car, with a projector for the game ahead of you, and a couple smaller screens custom built for the side view and rear view mirrors.

You should check out City Car Driving: It's Russian/fictionally based I believe, but the gameplay is quite good and with a decent Logitech Steering Wheel it's quite realistic and simulator-y.

As others have mentioned too, Euro Truck & American Truck simulators offer a realistic open-world driving experience: Albeit trucks. Both games have large modding communities though with different car models avaliable

On 1/2/2021 at 4:00 PM, m76 said:

Test Drive Unlimited is the closest thing to that. It has Oahu in 1:1 scale. Of course the buildings and landmarks aren't all included.

But you won't get a driving sim any time soon that covers the entire earth. Flight sim is easy. You get aerial photographs it's done, as planes fly thousands of feet in the air. There is not much fine detail needed to make it immersive. Cars drive on the ground, everything needs to be detailed otherwise it would be worthless.

That's a good shout honestly, I'd also add that the cities in Driver games were amazingly accurate especially the Miami map. 

On 12/30/2020 at 11:07 AM, Patrik said:

You'd be right about that. I mean they'd have to make some kind of imaginary bridge joining even country or some kind of travel system. Unfortunately, no such game exist.