Register Now
Kane99

Biggest competitor to the GTA franchise

1 hour ago, killamch89 said:

Not really - some of Sleeping Dogs' mechanics were influenced by GTA but they're two different games with two different goals in mind.

The only things they have in commun is that they are both open world, involve gangs and stuff, but Sleeping Dogs is mostly about Martial Arts and you have the chance to use weapons in only like 30 to 40% of the missions, but it feels more action packed as you keep unlocking combos so often, too bad that it was the only released game...

22 hours ago, Patrik said:

The only things they have in commun is that they are both open world, involve gangs and stuff, but Sleeping Dogs is mostly about Martial Arts and you have the chance to use weapons in only like 30 to 40% of the missions, but it feels more action packed as you keep unlocking combos so often, too bad that it was the only released game...

I agree that Sleeping dogs had a lot potential - I also felt like it wasn't really taken advantage of and in those days, there weren't that many games that could give GTA a run for its money. The story is alright but some aspects of the gameplay was a missed opportunity.

Unfortunately, nothing comes close to the current Grand Theft Auto world really. Even Red Dead Redemption which was amazing just isn't the same. And obviously thats why even Rockstar is still focusing on GTA V and not even adding much for Red Dead Redemption 2.

Some competitors for GTA would be good though although I doubt it will ever be able to compete properly.

I would say the biggest competitor to the GTA franchise would have to be the Just Cause franchise. Just Cause is similar to GTA in many different ways, and I know a ton of people who would prefer to play Just Cause over GTA any day. Overall, I believe GTA is still the most played game between the two, but this is definitely GTA's biggest competitor at the moment, in my opinion. 

24 minutes ago, dfarmer2001 said:

I would say the biggest competitor to the GTA franchise would have to be the Just Cause franchise. Just Cause is similar to GTA in many different ways, and I know a ton of people who would prefer to play Just Cause over GTA any day. Overall, I believe GTA is still the most played game between the two, but this is definitely GTA's biggest competitor at the moment, in my opinion. 

I’m gonna have to check out Just Cause, one of the newer ones. I played a ps2 version. To me it seems more similar to Far Cry rather than GTA. But now I’m curious about Just Cause 3 or 4

I doubt there is any competition for Gta, it's one of the biggest franchises out there. Most likely every publishers dream that 10 years after release it's still a money milking cow for take two/rockstar also can't really think off a game that survived 3 console generations now and still remains this populair.

How many will end up buying the "new" next gen version of gta 5 that comes out next month, woulden't be far off that it takes top spot saleswise in lot of countries. I woulden't really mind playing trough the story again and grab some achievments along the way but not sure if i really wanna spend any money again on a game i have 4 copies of already.

Edited by Yaramaki

21 minutes ago, Yaramaki said:

I doubt there is any competition for Gta, it's one of the biggest franchises out there. Most likely every publishers dream that 10 years after release it's still a money milking cow for take two/rockstar also can't really think off a game that survived 3 console generations now and still remains this populair.

How many will end up buying the "new" next gen version of gta 5 that comes out next month, woulden't be far off that it takes top spot saleswise in lot of countries. I woulden't really mind playing trough the story again and grab some achievments along the way but not sure if i really wanna spend any money again on a game i have 4 copies of already.

Today there isn't many who can say they can go head to head with GTA. Driver used to be that, then it was True Crime: Streets of LA, and of course the Saints Row series. But since, nothing has really given us a GTA clone that comes close enough. 

On 1/10/2022 at 4:32 PM, Reality vs Adventure said:

I was looking up some old videos of Saints Row, and to me it looks very similar to GTA. I actually want to try the series starting with 3 remastered. Looks like it gets pretty wild. Watch Dogs Legion puts GTA 5 back on its heels. 

I wouldn't say that really about Watch Dogs Legion. It's a pretty good game but the support from Ubisoft is trash and as such, it has turned away a good number of players. Ubisoft is trying to be the worst gaming company in history with their recent policies.