Jump to content
Register Now
Kane99

Biggest competitor to the GTA franchise

Recommended Posts

Back in the day it was Driver, then it was the Saints Row Franchise, now days, I could say Watch Dogs, but I don't think even they can match the quality of GTA these days. With that being said, what would you say is the biggest competitor to GTA? You could argue Cyberpunk 2077, but I don't think it comes close in the sense of driving, and all the other little things in the world of GTA. 

Could we see a game that can actually compete with GTA? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

the beef between Driver and GTA back in the day used to be so funny that you could find them dissing each others in the games lol, about Saints Row, i believe it wasn't on that great level of competition with GTA, not to forget that their games were so unoptimized on PC, let's hope that something that's worth it come to the scene and let us all have fun.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Red Dead Redemption which is also by Rockstar and CyberPunk 2077 could be a contender, but other than that I can't think of any. If Mafia would become online then maybe they as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Shole said:

Red Dead Redemption which is also by Rockstar and CyberPunk 2077 could be a contender, but other than that I can't think of any. If Mafia would become online then maybe they as well.

About RDR2, i wouldn't call it a competitor as it's nowhere to have the same style as GTA.

Also Multiplayer exists as an official feature only in GTA 4 (removed later from PC in future patches) and GTA V, which are kind of recent games when Mafia series are existing since 2002, same era when GTA moved to 3D, it's Mafia that couldn't compete, but it's still enjoyable

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Patrik said:

About RDR2, i wouldn't call it a competitor as it's nowhere to have the same style as GTA.

Also Multiplayer exists as an official feature only in GTA 4 (removed later from PC in future patches) and GTA V, which are kind of recent games when Mafia series are existing since 2002, same era when GTA moved to 3D, it's Mafia that couldn't compete, but it's still enjoyable

For me it looked similar, I never played RDR2 but it looked similar enough to GTA, just in a different era. Yeah well GTA I think released before Mafia but as you said they moved to 3D at some point (I remember GTA 2 was so funny to play). But yeah I guess I will say there are no competitors as of now for GTA.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/1/2021 at 9:44 PM, Shole said:

For me it looked similar, I never played RDR2 but it looked similar enough to GTA, just in a different era. Yeah well GTA I think released before Mafia but as you said they moved to 3D at some point (I remember GTA 2 was so funny to play). But yeah I guess I will say there are no competitors as of now for GTA.

Well RDR2 is produced by Rockstar Games as well so it will take some influence from GTA. GTA doesn't really have any competitors and any competition they'd face would really have to go above and beyond what GTA currently is which takes quite some doing.

On 12/31/2020 at 10:28 PM, Peterlight said:

I think the new cyberpunk 2077 is a great match for GTA but I think the GTA 5 is really making a breakthrough since it was released.

Deus Ex has far more in common with Cyberpunk 2077 than GTA V does.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Real shame driver 3 was released before it was finished, when you play the game it's clear it had potential but it was an unfinished mess. Impressive yet empty stages like the hotel on the first stage, no idea how it would of played into the story. I really think had it more time that driver and gta would be neck and neck right now the follow up parallel lines had fantastic gameplay but a dull map driver the 3 had shit gameplay and a fantastic maps.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/6/2021 at 1:36 PM, Empire said:

Real shame driver 3 was released before it was finished, when you play the game it's clear it had potential but it was an unfinished mess. Impressive yet empty stages like the hotel on the first stage, no idea how it would of played into the story. I really think had it more time that driver and gta would be neck and neck right now the follow up parallel lines had fantastic gameplay but a dull map driver the 3 had shit gameplay and a fantastic maps.

GTA was still ahead because Liberty City and Vice City were streets ahead of Driver 3. The one that I thought had the most potential to rival GTA was Saints Row and they just went down a very bizarre road which they never recovered from.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/8/2021 at 3:27 AM, killamch89 said:

GTA was still ahead because Liberty City and Vice City were streets ahead of Driver 3. The one that I thought had the most potential to rival GTA was Saints Row and they just went down a very bizarre road which they never recovered from.

Not to forget that most of Driver games were mostly about driving skills and not action stuff like in GTA, but they were still fun

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If we're going with Rockstar games, then I say RDR2 all the way. It has the same basic plot, but it's put in a different era.

If we're going with other developers, then I say The Elder Scrolls franchise. Yeah it's set in a completely different realm (real world vs fantasy world), but the massive popularity of the franchise definitely gives GTA a run for its money.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't really think Cyberpunk 2077 can be a ¨GTA game¨,  it is more of a Borderlands-Far Cry game.   Rockstar has really taken the trophy since not alot of devs do ¨gta clones¨ anymore. Sleeping Dogs was really nice tho. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Vaporpublico said:

I don't really think Cyberpunk 2077 can be a ¨GTA game¨,  it is more of a Borderlands-Far Cry game.   Rockstar has really taken the trophy since not alot of devs do ¨gta clones¨ anymore. Sleeping Dogs was really nice tho. 

Oh right Sleeping Dogs are good and close to GTA. Love how they did Hong Kong so detailed, but let's be honest that's I think as close as it gets.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/4/2021 at 11:39 AM, Patrik said:

Not to forget that most of Driver games were mostly about driving skills and not action stuff like in GTA, but they were still fun

Excellent point made there.

On 2/7/2021 at 12:18 PM, Shole said:

Oh right Sleeping Dogs are good and close to GTA. Love how they did Hong Kong so detailed, but let's be honest that's I think as close as it gets.

Not really - some of Sleeping Dogs' mechanics were influenced by GTA but they're two different games with two different goals in mind.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...