Register Now
Kane99

Are battle royale games starting to die down?

When it comes to battle royale games, are they as popular as they once were? I honestly don't think that the genre is growing in fandom. I think people are tiring of the genre and are starting to go for more observational types of games (Among Us for example). 

Idk, does anyone else notice it? I just feel like the popularity of the genre has kind of dwindled. Yeah we still hear about Fortnite and Warzone, but I feel that's it. I wouldn't count Fall Guys among this, as I kind of put them more in a party game/battle royale. Apex Legends has kind of been forgotten as of late, and PubG is, there I guess. 

But, I'm willing to be proven wrong. Are battle royale games still popular? Or are they more popular these days? What do you think?

I don't think it's dying, as a concept, it's still being alive and implemented in lot of games, the games that got popular with the gamemode that started dying and not the gamemode, but that's completely normal, because each period of time, newer games appear and steal the lights from a game till it dies too etc...

I actually think battle royale would be fun if you were good at the game, but what prevents me from that and any multiplayer gaming is internet. Internet plans and speeds I think are a deterrent. Is that what battle royale is? Or does it not require internet and you play a bunch of AI. At least in multiplayer wifi is a problem. Usually in satellite internet you are allowed only a certain number of gigabytes to use a month and I run out quick just in regular use and not gaming. Back in the day when I had cable high speed internet with unlimited use then I would have given that stuff a try. 

6 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

I actually think battle royale would be fun if you were good at the game, but what prevents me from that and any multiplayer gaming is internet. Internet plans and speeds I think are a deterrent. Is that what battle royale is? Or does it not require internet and you play a bunch of AI. At least in multiplayer wifi is a problem. Usually in satellite internet you are allowed only a certain number of gigabytes to use a month and I run out quick just in regular use and not gaming. Back in the day when I had cable high speed internet with unlimited use then I would have given that stuff a try. 

Satelitte internet is a pain when it comes to online gaming due to high ping issues.

Also Battle Royale games are multiplayer, sometimes you will be facing bots in some games due to either your rank or the low playerbase, but you are dealing with real people most of the times.

On 12/31/2020 at 5:39 PM, Kane99 said:

When it comes to battle royale games, are they as popular as they once were? I honestly don't think that the genre is growing in fandom. I think people are tiring of the genre and are starting to go for more observational types of games (Among Us for example). 

Idk, does anyone else notice it? I just feel like the popularity of the genre has kind of dwindled. Yeah we still hear about Fortnite and Warzone, but I feel that's it. I wouldn't count Fall Guys among this, as I kind of put them more in a party game/battle royale. Apex Legends has kind of been forgotten as of late, and PubG is, there I guess. 

But, I'm willing to be proven wrong. Are battle royale games still popular? Or are they more popular these days? What do you think?

How can you say BR are no as popular as they once were? You can not compare Among Us to a BR genre... BR are still very popular just look at Fortnite and Warzone. The fandom is still there however their just hasn't been a new BR out yet. Fall guys does not count. You probably just changed your mindset to liking a different type of genre or no longer up  to date on the BR community.

This is Just like MMORPG... or any other genre. A good game comes out its going to be more popular because of bandwagons but  once they move on to another genre or back to their original genre you see they real community come out.

Personally, I think that some of them are dying down in terms of the number of people still playing them with Fortnite as a case study.

With the huge fallout between Epic games and Apple, it drastically affected the number of gamers who still played Fortnite. 

I’m not too sure about it ‘dying out’ - just evolving into a slightly different form as the market reacts to different interpretations of the genre. We’re only just at a technological stage where 100 gamers can play simultaneously without issues, which has helped give birth to the battle royale genre. I feel like the whole Battle royal thing evolved from old school arena shooters anyway. Just a bigger map, more people, and no respawn. Being in 3rd person also helps set it apart from the old ones

23 hours ago, Empire said:

I’m not too sure about it ‘dying out’ - just evolving into a slightly different form as the market reacts to different interpretations of the genre. We’re only just at a technological stage where 100 gamers can play simultaneously without issues, which has helped give birth to the battle royale genre. I feel like the whole Battle royal thing evolved from old school arena shooters anyway. Just a bigger map, more people, and no respawn. Being in 3rd person also helps set it apart from the old ones

I think it's basically the same thing as dying out and evolving into something new from what it used to be because if it didn't change its consumption form, it's definitely not going to worth anything to gamers.