Register Now
Kane99

Flash is no more

So for those who don't know, Adobe Flash Player is gone. They ceased today, December 31st 2020. The service will work up until January 12th, but Windows machines will be blocking flash outright, and likely other apps/browsers will do the same. This means sites like Newgrounds, or all those flash game sites we used to frequent as kids, are now rendered useless. Hopefully some of the games were ported to whatever stuff we use now, but I'm betting a lot of classic games will be lost now. 

But, who know, someone will probably restart support for adobe flash themselves, or produce a new open source version of flash. That'd be cool. 

Anyway, you can read about this news here - MSN

We knew this was always going to happen because the signs were pretty evident when many browsers stop supporting it. HTML 5 is more than sufficient to replace it but with that being said, I'll miss those web-based flash games I used to play as a teen to kill time.

I am glad that finally flash ended. I always wanted to keep flash away from the computer. It eats memory more than chrome. not just that those games had a lot of security issues too. like keyloggers etc easily embeded into the browsers in past with them. Most of the games made in flash are now moved to the HTML5 and onwards. 

this was announced back in 2017 from what i remember, enough time for people to make backup for the flash games they love (and i love too), i believe that they can still be found around the internet to be played, which makes it not a big deal.

Rest in peace </3 

Yes 2017 was the year when they said, the last functioning version would be released. And 3 years lifecycle time for it. And chrome and firefox got rid of the flash from the browser from the 2019. And they dont show the flash based sites these days. 

Lets remember the good things about flash. Yeah it was crap, but it did help people produce some really good games. What are your favorite flash games from way back? 

I frequented New Grounds a lot back in the day. I forget a lot of them, but I remember the one with the skull guy and the chainsaw, but I can't remember the name. I'll even admit, I played a few of the adult games back then. Sorry, I was a young boy learning the web lol. 

I remember playing those tank games in school a lot. The drawing one was hugely popular as well. There are far too many games to remember. I hope there is a way to keep them alive. Or somehow archive them. What are some of the most iconic flash games you can remember?

On 1/1/2021 at 4:55 PM, Kane99 said:

Lets remember the good things about flash. Yeah it was crap, but it did help people produce some really good games. What are your favorite flash games from way back? 

I frequented New Grounds a lot back in the day. I forget a lot of them, but I remember the one with the skull guy and the chainsaw, but I can't remember the name. I'll even admit, I played a few of the adult games back then. Sorry, I was a young boy learning the web lol. 

I remember playing those tank games in school a lot. The drawing one was hugely popular as well. There are far too many games to remember. I hope there is a way to keep them alive. Or somehow archive them. What are some of the most iconic flash games you can remember?

I can't really remember but I used to play this action 2-D game on minigames.com back in the day.

Known for years that they are fading out very slowly. HTML5 has been around for years and most websites been using it for years. Seen that YouTube and twitch go down and up this month so seems that they have not been fully ready. Shame to see them go started many 100s of years ago 😛 and ended its life. They had an option to keep it updated but HTML5 is the new of all new.

I mean online games on browser used them but who plays them and many those sites ended. Glad that another software runtime is off my PC. 

Just checked Y8 for the sake of Nostalgia, damn, they literally replaced all the games in the Main page with HTML5 and WebGL games, flash games are still there, but can't be played as my browser has no flash player, but i believe there's still a chance to play these games, a bit of research can get the job done

On 1/7/2021 at 7:56 PM, killamch89 said:

We'll see how this works out but I wouldn't get my hopes up just yet...

it worked just fine for me, the issue is that you can't do cloud save there, but it's fun if you are planning to nolife games till you complete them in a single session, as those flash games aren't that long