Register Now
The Blackangel

Most Expensive Consoles Ever

It makes you wonder for some of these if the price was just due to the research and development, or if they seriously thought that people could afford it and there would be a ton of game publishers that would see that and develop "must play" games on them. 

I remember that Neo Geo commercial. Don't remember that particular 3DO commercial, but I know there was one that would play during weekday afternoon cartoons. That said, I also remember finding out the price of both as a kid and being just fine with my Super Nintendo. Didn't know anyone with either of those consoles during that era.

The Neo Geo AES may have been expensive, but you were essentially getting a gen 5 console at the beginning of gen 4. It was still getting games made for it until 2004, a full 14 years after it released. And this was back during the days of 5-year console generations.

If a console becomes more expensive than my house, I think I'm going to quite gaming.  I'm sorry.  I'm not willing to play that bad that I'm going to buy a console that cost me more than my house.  There are some things that are more important to me than gaming. 

I just remember when the PS3 at $600. That was crazy to me, especially with the 360 at a lower price. I knew what console I was going to go for based on price. Thankfully I didn't go for the Wii, because I would have hated myself for that. So my brother and I got a 360 and that was the end of it. 

It's crazy to look back at how prices have inflated so much over the years. 

19 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Thankfully I didn't go for the Wii, because I would have hated myself for that.

God, I hated the Wii. It had a very small amount of games that were decent to good, but other than that, it was just one of the worst systems Nintendo ever released. The novelty of motion control wore off extremely quickly. Faster than any other system's novelty factor wears off. Not only Xbox and PlayStation, but Nintendo consoles as well.

4 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

God, I hated the Wii. It had a very small amount of games that were decent to good, but other than that, it was just one of the worst systems Nintendo ever released. The novelty of motion control wore off extremely quickly. Faster than any other system's novelty factor wears off. Not only Xbox and PlayStation, but Nintendo consoles as well.

All those shovelware games is what pushed me to go for a 360 instead. The only game I remember seeing that looked cool, was that Red Steel game. I thought it was so cool that they were able to make a game that allowed you to use the wiimote as a sword and even a gun. I just thought that was so cool at the time. But thankfully I didn't jump for it, because I would have been stuck with a console I would have hated haha. And plus, all of my friends were enjoying xbox 360 games online, and none of my friends had a wii or cared to get one. 

Currently 'PS5 is the most expensive, I don't see any console that is priced above PS5 at the moment. The retro consoles have served their purposes in the past, they aren't competing with the modernized video game consoles in terms of gameplay, graphics, price and vice versa. 

On 7/7/2022 at 1:54 PM, Kane99 said:

I just remember when the PS3 at $600. That was crazy to me, especially with the 360 at a lower price. I knew what console I was going to go for based on price. Thankfully I didn't go for the Wii, because I would have hated myself for that. So my brother and I got a 360 and that was the end of it. 

It's crazy to look back at how prices have inflated so much over the years. 

I like the Wii now, but I hated it back then. The numerous drought periods of “real” games vs the onslaught of shovelware was rough. Nowadays people can remember the good games and ignore the bad ones.

17 hours ago, Kane99 said:

All those shovelware games is what pushed me to go for a 360 instead. The only game I remember seeing that looked cool, was that Red Steel game. I thought it was so cool that they were able to make a game that allowed you to use the wiimote as a sword and even a gun. I just thought that was so cool at the time. But thankfully I didn't jump for it, because I would have been stuck with a console I would have hated haha. And plus, all of my friends were enjoying xbox 360 games online, and none of my friends had a wii or cared to get one. 

There were a couple games that were beautiful graphically. But they are few and far between. The only game I was able to find that was actually fun to play with the motion control was Mario Kart. The wheel accessory that you could put your controller into made it easier, but it was so fun to steer with a wheel instead of using a D-pad to drive, or in the case of the N64, a joystick.

9 hours ago, Justin11 said:

Currently 'PS5 is the most expensive, I don't see any console that is priced above PS5 at the moment. The retro consoles have served their purposes in the past, they aren't competing with the modernized video game consoles in terms of gameplay, graphics, price and vice versa. 

That may be true in most cases, but the old stuff still sells really well. There are a lot of us who prefer older games. I know I do. As for the price, the PS5 is definitely more expensive at the moment. Retail is $400 for the digital version, and $500 for the disc version. At least here it is. But you're going to be hard pressed to find one on the shelves. There's a place called Vintage Stock here that had both a PS5 and Xbox Series X on their shelves at the same time recently. But to buy one you had to buy both a brand new controller and 2 games. Which put the price close to $1,000. They wouldn't sell just the system. That's just bullshit if you ask me.