Register Now
Kane99

Do you keep autosave on or turn it off?

Autosave isn't a relatively new thing, it's been around for quite a long time I'd say. Most games these days have an auto save feature in place, but not all do. Some require you to manually save, some will save at certain points, etc. Do you like to use autosave? or do you prefer to turn autosave and just stick with manual saving, or saving at certain places in game, such as save spots?

I love having auto save, but sometimes it can cause some issues. For example, playing Cyberpunk 2077, I jumped on my bike while it was glitched under ground, this in turn brought me under the road and clipped me under it. I exited out, and loaded back in, and to my surprise, was still in the glitch, so it saved me in there. Fantastic! Thankfully I just reloaded my last checkpoint and that saved me, but I was worried big time there.

Anyway, if a game does have autosave, do you often turn it off? What are your preferences? 

I keep it on for many reasons, one of them is that the repetitive manual saving is boring, also it's important in some games like in GTA, so you don't have to drive to the safehouse to do so.

Also sometimes you forget to save, so it does it instead.

But the issue is that it sometimes saves in the wrong place, so you can't repeat a specific chapter/level because it overwriters the previous save.

14 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Usually it depends on the game actually. In games like Skyrim, I actually turn it off because it tends to autosave in some awkward moments but in other games like Alien Isolation, I keep it on.

I concur. For example with RDR2, I turn it off. But with others I leave it on. Typically for me, I turn it off if it's a game I know, but if it's one that I'm a complete newbie at, then I leave it on, because I'm probably going to die every 5 minutes and forget to save in between those 5 minutes.

Like others have mentioned, I always keep auto save turned on, for every video game I play. For me, I get into playing a video game so much that I forget to save my progress, so it's important that this feature is enabled, otherwise I'd risk losing everything! That would be annoying. 

It's a convenient feature, even if the game saves at inconvenient moments, turning it off won't make it better. Unless the game is so badly designed that there is only one save slot shared by manual and autosave, then I'd turn it off.

I actually had problems when I played older games recently that had no autosave, and I often forgot that I needed to manually save even when at the start of a new level.

Very convenient feature 😉 And yes I do 😉 if it was bugged and not working then I have it disabled but end of the day I always still like to save it myself so that I know it's saved perfect. There are many games that are like that when playing then it freeze for one little sec as it's saves and then moves on as you ongoing playing. I don't like when the game only has autosave and no other manual save option.  

On 1/7/2021 at 2:40 AM, killamch89 said:

Usually it depends on the game actually. In games like Skyrim, I actually turn it off because it tends to autosave in some awkward moments but in other games like Alien Isolation, I keep it on.

Yeah, this is a very big issue with auto save. When it kicks up in an awkward situation, it's definitely going to be a very big problem for you. But generally, I would leave it on. 

I enjoy autosave in most of the games I have played. The ones that tend to work out the best for me, is ones that have checkpoints as the main autosave, and then autosaves that you can go back to, when in the middle of doing something. If all else fails, I go back to the checkpoint save, and redo my work.

33 minutes ago, Joshua Farrell said:

I enjoy autosave in most of the games I have played. The ones that tend to work out the best for me, is ones that have checkpoints as the main autosave, and then autosaves that you can go back to, when in the middle of doing something. If all else fails, I go back to the checkpoint save, and redo my work.

Yeah, you're correct about the checkpoint autosaves. There is this game called Top Eleven Football Manager that hosts a side tournament/events within the main game.

In the side tournaments, it comes with checkpoint main autosave in which even if you lose, you can easily go back to the checkpoint and resume your way up. 

1 hour ago, Joshua Farrell said:

I like those ones as well rather than it autosaves randomly because I tend to have the worst of luck with these things.

17 hours ago, killamch89 said:

I like those ones as well rather than it autosaves randomly because I tend to have the worst of luck with these things.

Yeah, there is a friend who switches off auto save and rather save manually on his own in order not to get the auto save kick in when it's going to cost him so much.