Register Now
StaceyPowers

When followers teleport

It's the one feature I'd rather have in a game than have to be spending time looking for my follower. Some games have a spell of sorts to teleport your follower to you and in a magic based game, that'd be very lore-friendly. I think in other games they should incorporate in a very immersion friendly so it doesn't ruin the experience.

I never thought it was immersion-breaking. I don't even know where I am half the time, much less where my follower is. I was hundreds of hours into Fallout 4 before I realized that my follower would teleport to my side whenever I entered a new area. Personally, I would be a little annoyed if I had to physically summon them. Keep up or go home!

On 1/6/2021 at 9:34 PM, staticradio725 said:

I never thought it was immersion-breaking. I don't even know where I am half the time, much less where my follower is. I was hundreds of hours into Fallout 4 before I realized that my follower would teleport to my side whenever I entered a new area. Personally, I would be a little annoyed if I had to physically summon them. Keep up or go home!

Seriously, having to physically summon your followers is definitely going to be very draining to the point of paranoia. Like how many times am I suppose to do it before I complete the game? 🙄 

Play enough of the old Infinity Engine games, and followers teleporting isn't at all immersion breaking. What is immersion breaking is being told "you must gather your party before venturing forth," and having to wait for them because you've got Boots of Speed or something on, zipping through the map while everyone else saunters (and depending on their race, this can be anywhere between 30-25ft. per round).

I can appreciate how followers teleporting can be annoying when they just pop into view, but the best way I've seen it done is to have that happen off camera. I suppose in games where it doesn't happen either can't be helped, or it isn't viewed as that big a priority to 'fix'.

"You cannot rest while your party is scattered" is another joyous moment, too.

Edited by Withywarlock
You must gather your party before editing this post.

2 hours ago, Withywarlock said:

Play enough of the old Infinity Engine games, and followers teleporting isn't at all immersion breaking. What is immersion breaking is being told "you must gather your party before venturing forth," and having to wait for them because you've got Boots of Speed or something on, zipping through the map while everyone else saunters (and depending on their race, this can be anywhere between 30-25ft. per round).

I can appreciate how followers teleporting can be annoying when they just pop into view, but the best way I've seen it done is to have that happen off camera. I suppose in games where it doesn't happen either can't be helped, or it isn't viewed as that big a priority to 'fix'.

"You cannot rest while your party is scattered" is another joyous moment, too.

The need your party to gather before you rest thing is definitely the biggest BS that the gaming industry has come up with. I can understand somewhat when you're in battle for obvious reasons but otherwise, do you mean that your character can't do most things without their party?

On 1/2/2021 at 9:33 PM, StaceyPowers said:

How do you feel about followers teleporting? I think it leads to some weird immersion-breaking moments, but it’s still more convenient than what Skyrim does (making your followers physically walk around to catch up with you).

Aren't they trying to make it look more realistic in Skyrim by having your followers physically walking through and around in order to catch up?