Register Now
Kane99

Will retro games be forgotten one day?

To me retro games will never die, but these days it feels like retro games are mostly forgotten, at least when it comes to kids these days. Most teens these days don't even know most of the retro consoles. And I understand that's just the nature of the world as we get old. But a lot of retro games are sill popular to this day, and yet kids want to play stuff like GTA or Fortnite. Anyway, do you think that one day, retro games as we knew them, will be forgotten? 

I don't think they'll be forgotten: There's enough folk that love the retro game industry which will keep them going! 

I will load up my old DS (that's about as retro as I go!) from time to time to show my younger brother the sort of games I use to play - for as long as people keep doing that I don't see retro games going anywhere! 

Being a classic gamer, I can guarantee that as long as I can play, the old stuff will never be forgotten. I got my PhD in Console Emergency Surgery when I was 5. I know how to administer CPR to a Nintendo better than anyone. So I’m going to keep them all alive.

There was the Nintendo Classic that was released a couple years ago that had all a lot of those old games already included. But maybe only the older folks or collectors got it.  I don't know how far back you mean by retro because ps3 can be retro now that the ps5 is out. But for me retro I guess is atari up to somewhere around Nintendo 64ish or ps1ish. If ps5 came out with a game that included many of those classics from different Nintendo systems, then it could be revived. Even modern sequels don't give the old games justice, I don't think. But if you were to judge let's say a new Super Mario on the ps5 and the ratings were low, then the young generation will judge all the Super Mario to suck. So in that sense I do think people will forget about it. But if a new Super Mario came out that was a big hit, someone will feel inclined to take a look at older ones. 

Bloodstained series had a release that was very 'retro' Nintendo. And they had another Bloodstained game after that was more 'modern'. The Trine series also in a way revive the classic feel with modern sensory appeal. So as games come out like that to compete with newer Transelvania or Zelda, then yeah the older will get forgotten unless Gyromite or Kid Chameleon releases a new one in the next few years.  

2 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

Being a classic gamer, I can guarantee that as long as I can play, the old stuff will never be forgotten. I got my PhD in Console Emergency Surgery when I was 5. I know how to administer CPR to a Nintendo better than anyone. So I’m going to keep them all alive.

I always hated giving mouth to mouth to the old Nintendo cartridges. 

If I was a mother, my kids would start out with classic systems. They wouldn't have anything newer than an N64, if that. Most likely just a SNES. They would have to learn what gaming was like before all this lifelike fully immersive crap came about. 16bit graphics were the wave of the future when I was a kid, and the SNES blew everyone's minds when it came out with how advanced it was. Kids need to learn that before they learn modding and coding in popular games of today.

At least that's my view.

1 hour ago, The Blackangel said:

If I was a mother, my kids would start out with classic systems. They wouldn't have anything newer than an N64, if that. Most likely just a SNES. They would have to learn what gaming was like before all this lifelike fully immersive crap came about. 16bit graphics were the wave of the future when I was a kid, and the SNES blew everyone's minds when it came out with how advanced it was. Kids need to learn that before they learn modding and coding in popular games of today.

At least that's my view.

It definitely was fun to put in a game and start playing right away instead of having to do all these tasks in modern games. The old times you go and play, reach a new level, get your fill and be done by supper and go outside to play before dark (in a creepy perfect world). The modern games I wonder how much time is wasted learning controller moves, clearing weight inventories, fixing gear, leveling up, getting trophies, events, pointless quests, and a whole toilet bowl of online stuff. I think those things keep the new generation occupied enough as to leave the classics forgotten. But I think those things develop certain skills in a persons wormy brains. So give or take. 

2 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

At least that's my view.

If you introduce them to retro consoles first, they would for sure have no idea about how modern games look like, so they will stick to it, but all of that will be ruined once they watch gameplays on youtube, they will surely want the modern ones (only in some cases where they would stick to retro), it's a different story in our cases, we grew up with those games and we dramatically upgraded to newer games over the years and generations, that's why retro belongs to our lives and we'd never forget about it.

They would have to earn more technologically advanced gaming setups. Obviously they would want the PS-whatever and Xbox-whatever. but they're starting at 2bit (Atari/Colecovision) and 8bit gaming systems. They're either going to be happy with what they have, or work to earn something more advanced. When it comes to things like this, nothing is granted in this world. Just look at how many broken and half finished games are released these days. If my children wanted something more advanced they would have to earn it as proof that they deserved it. I wouldn't make the same fuckups my parents did with me. I wouldn't want my kids to be anything like me. I wouldn't beat my children. I wouldn't tell them I should have aborted them. I wouldn't fuck them up to the point that they slept with a loaded rifle from the age of 12 on.

I think most people consider anything that came out before the mid 2000's the dark ages of gaming. With the exception of the Switch, the vast majority of kids nowadays don't even know what a cartridge is. But Switch games are more like an SD card than a cartridge, so it may not count. I guarantee that if you were to take a cart from NES, SNES, N64, & Sega, peel the labels off both sides, and present them to any random kid and ask if they knew what they are, none of them would have the slightest clue. The same goes for hand held games like GameBoy, Game Gear, and DS variants as well. They will look at them and be completely at a loss as to what the hell they are and what purpose they serve. Put a piece of tape over any identifying marks on an original GameBoy and ask them what it is, and they won't have a god damn clue what that is either.

I wouldn't hold my breath that very many would know what the hell a memory card from PS1 and PS2 are either.

It's sad as hell.

10 hours ago, AndreiMirfi said:

Retro games will still be there, so we can see the evolution.

That's a very valid point.

12 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

I think most people consider anything that came out before the mid 2000's the dark ages of gaming. With the exception of the Switch, the vast majority of kids nowadays don't even know what a cartridge is. But Switch games are more like an SD card than a cartridge, so it may not count. I guarantee that if you were to take a cart from NES, SNES, N64, & Sega, peel the labels off both sides, and present them to any random kid and ask if they knew what they are, none of them would have the slightest clue. The same goes for hand held games like GameBoy, Game Gear, and DS variants as well. They will look at them and be completely at a loss as to what the hell they are and what purpose they serve. Put a piece of tape over any identifying marks on an original GameBoy and ask them what it is, and they won't have a god damn clue what that is either.

I wouldn't hold my breath that very many would know what the hell a memory card from PS1 and PS2 are either.

It's sad as hell.

Well, we have gone mostly digital over the last decade so most kids born or growing up in this time period wouldn't really know. It's just like if you ask me about Atari consoles, I couldn't tell you anything because I never grew up playing them. In addition to that, most older games can be played through emulators so there's no real incentive for kids nowadays to know what the cartridge of old gen consoles look like. It is sad but one of the side effects of the evolution of gaming.

11 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Well, we have gone mostly digital over the last decade so most kids born or growing up in this time period wouldn't really know. It's just like if you ask me about Atari consoles, I couldn't tell you anything because I never grew up playing them. In addition to that, most older games can be played through emulators so there's no real incentive for kids nowadays to know what the cartridge of old gen consoles look like. It is sad but one of the side effects of the evolution of gaming.

I hate it when this happens, but I have to agree with you. There are people who will never give up the systems they played as a child, and emulators aren't accepted. I'm one of them. It's the real thing or nothing with me. I would rather spend 2 hours fucking with my NES trying to get a game to run and have only 5 minutes of play before it glitches and refuses to run at all that day, than use an emulator and have zero issues.

But there is hope. There are tons of retro clothing stores. Clothing styles of yesteryear are becoming popular again. I remember how we all dressed in the 80's. for little kids, if your shirt didn't have anything on the back, wearing it was social suicide. Unless you were EXTREMELY popular. Of which I was not. So when I see someone with an 80's style hairdo, clothes, and carrying a keytar, I always tell them "Rock On Dude!" and they usually know that I'm a child of the 80's as well. The best thing about that decade was that even us losers were cool.

*sigh*
I miss it.