Register Now
Cumulus

Do you buy your Steam Keys from other marketplaces?

I recently purchased a new DLC for a simulation-based game I've owned for many years, and for the first time did a price comparison across a few gaming marketplaces and saved about $10 in doing so.

Do you purchase your games from Steam directly, or do you look for cheaper Steam Keys from other marketplace vendors? Would love to hear other's experiences and if the bargain I found was only a one off...

I haven't purchased anything on steam since they ended flash sales and daily deals.  Regular steam prices are outrageous compared to retail and 3rd party key sellers.

The typical 6-12 months old game will still be listed as €59.99 on steam, sometimes discounted to €41.99, while 3rd parties usually sell the game for 30-35 by this time.

I don't frequently purchase codes from third party sits/vendors. There's no knowing where the codes came from previously. I have used CD keys, G2A and a couple other sites, but I try not to use it often for the reasons mentioned above. I just don't want to risk purchasing a game and in turn, getting my account banned. I heard horror stories about how some people were affected by buying codes from some sites. 

My best suggestion. When you do buy from these sites, make sure you purchase from people with high ratings. Anyone new is a potential risk, so buy from established and known vendors only. 

On 1/4/2021 at 12:27 PM, Patrik said:

i once bought a ETS2 Key from G2A because it was way cheaper there than in steam, found out later that those keys might be illegal so i left it

Oh really, I never knew this. From my research I heard they were one of the better sites. 

On 1/5/2021 at 5:26 PM, AndreiMirfi said:

Rarely, I use G2A. It's the only site I can really trust.

So your experience of G2A has been positive? I'd be keen to hear other's experience with the platform too 

19 hours ago, Cumulus said:

Oh really, I never knew this. From my research I heard they were one of the better sites. 

So your experience of G2A has been positive? I'd be keen to hear other's experience with the platform too 

G2A is a shitshow. Run fast - very fast. The sellers on there purchases Steam Keys with stolen credit cards and sell them to you the user. Cdkeys is the only one I can say for sure is legitimate because they buy from the actual stores and resell those keys.

Yes, all the time to get the best deal. End of the day I do not want to spend $30 for a game where I can get it far cheaper on sales or other great deals on other sites for steam games. Humble Bundle and HRK are the two main sites that I use to get games that are far cheaper. Rust I got for 45% of where steam was full price.

Same with DLCs content. G2A I used once but at times there not trusted. I only use sites that I trust and have no errors with them.

On 1/4/2021 at 1:27 PM, Patrik said:

i once bought a ETS2 Key from G2A because it was way cheaper there than in steam, found out later that those keys might be illegal so i left it

Personally, I don't really have any kind of trust over anything that comes from G2A. 

On 2/2/2021 at 7:16 PM, Anders said:

The only third party store I've ever bought steam keys from is Humble Bundle, which I consider to be 100% legit. I'd rather spend a few bucks more than buy sketchy, potentially stolen keys from sites like G2A

I heard of this many times, but never had used their services as of yet. In the site, it says the membership plan start from $12 per month, but their catalogue says it will cost for each game. What's the procedure there? Do I need to buy membership as well as game pass?

5 hours ago, Razor1911 said:

I heard of this many times, but never had used their services as of yet. In the site, it says the membership plan start from $12 per month, but their catalogue says it will cost for each game. What's the procedure there? Do I need to buy membership as well as game pass?

G2A have screwed a lot of gamers over to the extent that it's not something that anyone can recommend without telling you to be careful.