Register Now
Kane99

Ever tried bidding on a really rare game on Ebay?

Have you ever tried to bid on a really high priced game on Ebay? Did you win the bidding war? Or did you lose out to a bot or someone else? I never tried to bid on any rare games, but I did try to bid on some albums like 10 years ago lol. I was never one for bidding on stuff though. But, I know a lot of gamers love to collect and they will be going through ebay to get some of those rarer games. With that being said, has anyone here won a bidding war for a rare and expensive game? If so, what game(s) did you end up getting?

I've gotten into bidding wars, but never won them. I would start bidding and some asshole would set their max bid at like $500 just to make sure they won or something. I wasn't about to go that high. I would bid them up for a while trying to outbid them, but then realize what they had done and say fuck it. But at least I could revel in the fact that I cost them more than they would have had to spend initially.

There are people who set up more than one account on eBay so that they can sell something from one account, and set the other to a max bid on their own item, in order to force people to whatever the minimum is that they're willing to take for it. If it doesn't reach what they want for it, then they haven't lost anything since the account is theirs, and they can just cancel the transaction, and then relist the item until it sells for what they want. It's kinda like "Scalping: Junior Edition", if you will.

Edited by The Blackangel

24 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

There are people who set up more than one account on eBay so that they can sell something from one account, and set the other to a max bid on their own item, in order to force people to whatever the minimum is that they're willing to take for it. If it doesn't reach what they want for it, then they haven't lost anything since the account is theirs, and they can just cancel the transaction, and then relist the item until it sells for what they want. It's kinda like "Scalping: Junior Edition", if you will.

Yep, I always suspected that. There is a way to look up the bidding history of the bidders on that item. Their history will show what category they buy from, how many bids on items, and last bid time on items. That gives you an idea if it's a real person or a bot. It shows if it's a newbie, who usually bids ridiculously excitedly and cranks up the price, or a last second bidder who always wins. And it also shows their winning percentage on items. So those things give you a clue what your chances will be to win. 

17 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

I've gotten into bidding wars, but never won them. I would start bidding and some asshole would set their max bid at like $500 just to make sure they won or something. I wasn't about to go that high. I would bid them up for a while trying to outbid them, but then realize what they had done and say fuck it. But at least I could revel in the fact that I cost them more than they would have had to spend initially.

Sameeeeeeeeee