Register Now
Dotgician

Is WoW a MMORPG still?

Is WoW still a MMORPG?

Yeah I know its technically a MMO because its multiplayer but what I'm getting at is you can literally Play the game form level 1- lvl cap all by yourself now. No longer needed help from others your toons are already powerful to kill certain bosses... it just doesn't give off the mmo vibe anymore. MMORPG are for meeting up with people, helping each other do a quest or beat a boss... Not leveling you toon all by yourself being way OP to kill almost every boss. Anyone else feel the same way?

Edited by Dotgician

I would say that World of Warcraft absolutely is an MMORPG, but it isn't in any sense of the word good at being one. The instancing, the immediate grouping tools, the pockets of players at any one time existing only in high end content.... it's just not. The only time I've ever felt WoW was an MMO was during my time on Argent Dawn EU, or during certain launch events that quickly made me grateful for all the stuff that isn't massively multiplayer.

Why would you think it's not? 

WoW is definitely the biggest. Some might have more players, some might be newer and shinier, but WoW has the legacy, player base and money to keep going. MMORPG itself is a dying genre right, WoW, FFXIV, ESO, GW2, and a handful of other Korean MMOs are only ones active in NA/EU. Asian markets have strong mobile MMOs but are ridiculously P2W where core users literally spend millions of dollars per year.

On 1/6/2021 at 4:34 AM, Dotgician said:

Is WoW still a MMORPG?

Yeah I know its technically a MMO because its multiplayer but what I'm getting at is you can literally Play the game form level 1- lvl cap all by yourself now. No longer needed help from others your toons are already powerful to kill certain bosses... it just doesn't give off the mmo vibe anymore. MMORPG are for meeting up with people, helping each other do a quest or beat a boss... Not leveling you toon all by yourself being way OP to kill almost every boss. Anyone else feel the same way?

Yes of course, WoW is still a MMORPG. Even without stressing it too far, with the little research you can ask Google, it's definitely going to bring out search results support the assertion. 

It offers you the opportunity to get into interaction with other players which is among what MMORPG is all about.