Register Now
Alexander.

Why do some people hate playing games?

If you've ever encountered folks who despise gaming so much that they hate being around those who play games?  I'm not entirely sure what there is not to like about gaming. What do you think, have you personally came across a family or friend who refused to talk to you about playing video titles? 

I don't know anyone like that in person; such people are typically on Twitter or whathaveyou, saying things along the lines of grown men should be making furniture and hosting barbeques instead of playing with children's toys. I suppose that's part of the hate - video games were for the longest time advertised as toys, their demographic being aimed at families with young children. I'd say it wasn't until the mid-PS2/Xbox/Gamecube era that games were seen in greater regard as for everyone.

While I can understand concerns of them contributing to some national infantilasation or fetishising (though I strongly disagree with them), I think a lot of those concerns could be allayed if people saw what the games consisted of. I remember one time criticism being levelled at a Batman video game because said critic saw Batman as a children's intellectual property, when in fact the games can be quite grim and unsuitable for children to say the least.

To those who criticise video games I say they should play them. Having experience is the grounds for any good discussion. Those who have and have had relationships destroyed, lives lost or other things I can totally understand. It's those people who have merit in this argument.

Edited by Withywarlock

I think it's just a stigma. When people think about video games, they think of overweight, greasy gamers who spend their days half-naked and languishing in bed, surrounded by fries and week-old chips. They think it is noneducational, they think it is a waste of time, they think that it requires no skill and that there is no use of it in "the real world".

They do not think about the actual skill, comprehension, fluency, intricate puzzles and problems, mental processing and reactions. They do not think about the absolute beauty that video games has become, they don't think about that flight sims are methods on real life learnings. 

I had an uncle that despised the very notion of gaming. He was southern baptist and decided that any and all gaming was a path to worshiping Satan. He worshiped his church. Not worshiped AT his church, worshiped his church. Anything and everything about his life revolved around that hell hole. When he would come around I would say things like "Hail Satan" and "Fuck jesus" just to piss him off. He tried forcing his shit on me. I went off on him one day because he made a comment about Muslims worshiping a statue, which is bullshit. They're not allowed to even draw a stick figure if it represents Mohammed, yet xtians kneel before a wooden crucifix and pray to it, a well as having pictures and effigies of christ all over their homes and places of worship. There were other things I said but they're irrelevant.

If I had any games that directly or indirectly related to Satan as a protagonist in any way, I would have made sure to play them in front of him at every chance. I did make it a point to read the Satanic Bible whenever he was around.

But his worm eaten corpse has been in the ground for a long time now. Good riddance.

Some people around me don't really hate gaming, but still think it's a childish way to waste time and means that you aren't mature enough, unfortunately, this mindset is still a thing even after ages, some of them ask you to grow the Flowers up when they see you doing gaming, but hey, does their opinion even matter ? ;)

It's definitely changing though. The old saying goes 'sex sells'. So if you get the hot popular crowd in on it, then even mid age successful adults will take a liking to it and have a game night instead of movie night. It would be awesome to find a companion that sits down to play a game with you. And I've seen some pretty hot women on youtube gaming. Even some of the female developers I've seen in the gaming world are smokin. Sure there is plenty of sour tarts for the ladies to like too. So in this world, join us. You will find a good time. And just like anything, if all you care about is gaming, it's probably a turn off. And that is no difference from someone who doesn't game but watches too much sports. My sister has Oculus and does multiplayer. I know it's run by  Facebook, but at the same time you can chat with new people while in the game. So gaming becomes a social networking thing. And as tech increases, instead of an avatar you can have a character that looks like yourself and meet people while gaming. In a way, it is almost a dating connection in real time. And you can play the game in a fantasy environment and hang out alone with your new buddy. Anyways, I see that happening in this new gaming era. Those hypocrites that look down at gaming, just might find themselves with a partner that suggests trying out a game, and aww; the laughs and flirts. They scuffle closer. And I'll be damned if they feel guilty afterward  when they go to work the next day around all those mature colleagues. Now they have to play adult again, dreaming about last night. 😊

I was in a community college cafeteria in Manassas once browsing Car Domain and I heard one group of students dis the others for liking video games.  And then the group doing the dissing was like, 'I don't know, I did like playing that one Nintewndo game a long time ago.'  So even people dissing gaming sometimes play video games.

Playing video games takes a lot of your brain resource and also leads you closer to burn out. Some people want to avoid that sort of addictive chemicals rushing in their veins. So it's more or less choice for some to avoid gaming. I don't think it's wrong choice. It's like one of the choice each of us can make or not. Randomness of universe. 

I don't know anyone who is like that. My aunt didn't understand video games when I was a kid, but as I got older, she saw some of the games I played and how realistic they looked and she kind of took notice to that and thought it was pretty cool. Aside from that, I don't know anyone from my family or friends who hate playing games, or hate it when people do. I think we're at a point in this world, where the majority of people play video games. Hell, I could see in the next 10-20 years, everyone is going to be gaming. 

Like people hate other hobbies, there are two options:

A) They never found something they like.
B) They just don't enjoy it.

So basically either they didn't find a game they like and enjoy(which with some guidance can be fixed) or they just don't like it, like I don't like watching soccer, and some people love to watch it.

On 1/8/2021 at 8:22 AM, Empire said:

I think it's just a stigma. When people think about video games, they think of overweight, greasy gamers who spend their days half-naked and languishing in bed, surrounded by fries and week-old chips. They think it is noneducational, they think it is a waste of time, they think that it requires no skill and that there is no use of it in "the real world".

They do not think about the actual skill, comprehension, fluency, intricate puzzles and problems, mental processing and reactions. They do not think about the absolute beauty that video games has become, they don't think about that flight sims are methods on real life learnings. 

This, essentially. I think video gaming used to be kind of a niche hobby, and, because of that, a bunch of stereotypes sprung up around it that certainly aren't true anymore, but some people think they are.

I've always maintained that if you don't like video games, it's just because you haven't found the right game yet. There's a lot of people out there who think that every video game is like Doom.

4 hours ago, staticradio725 said:

This, essentially. I think video gaming used to be kind of a niche hobby, and, because of that, a bunch of stereotypes sprung up around it that certainly aren't true anymore, but some people think they are.

I've always maintained that if you don't like video games, it's just because you haven't found the right game yet. There's a lot of people out there who think that every video game is like Doom.

Got that right; there is a game for everyone. 

I think a lot of people that aren't very well educated on gaming equate it to being a "nerd" or a "geek" which, from my generation, was a bad thing to be. They picture the pimply faced, white collared shirt, pocket protector, thick glasses, and slacks that were about 4" above their ankles as the average gamer. Now those same "nerds" and "geeks" are the ones making millions by designing these games. Whereas the rest of us are making minimum wage or less, and just scraping by. But no one is willing to admit it. They want the nerds and geeks to be living at home in their mothers basement hosting a weekly D&D tournament and watching Dr. Who and Battlestar Gallactica all day. I mean no offense to any of those. Not my thing, but no offense to anyone who is into it. I played D&D as a teenager, but lost interest. I never got into Dr Who or BG, so I can't form an opinion on them.