Register Now
Alexander.

Why do some people hate playing games?

38 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

I think a lot of people that aren't very well educated on gaming equate it to being a "nerd" or a "geek" which, from my generation, was a bad thing to be. They picture the pimply faced, white collared shirt, pocket protector, thick glasses, and slacks that were about 4" above their ankles as the average gamer. Now those same "nerds" and "geeks" are the ones making millions by designing these games. Whereas the rest of us are making minimum wage or less, and just scraping by. But no one is willing to admit it. They want the nerds and geeks to be living at home in their mothers basement hosting a weekly D&D tournament and watching Dr. Who and Battlestar Gallactica all day. I mean no offense to any of those. Not my thing, but no offense to anyone who is into it. I played D&D as a teenager, but lost interest. I never got into Dr Who or BG, so I can't form an opinion on them.

That is true, and funny thing is that I thought the opposite of gamers because in my teen years the ones who played games that I knew were tokers and drunkins, thuggish types, yet popular at school. So as I got older I usually thought of gamers as that. Then in my adult years when I started gaming, I said yep, I got the drunkin part right. LOL. But bs aside, anyone could be a gamer. And youtube videos I see from gamers are just regular people having found something they enjoy. There are those that stigmatize gamers too and make it political. They say a gamer is a loser weak  liberal living with mama. They try to get that popular opinion out there trying to hurt the reputation of liberals but actually hurting the reputation of gamers. So that I believe is a big reason for why many hate to play games; not that it's the gaming itself they hate, but their politically biased view of people they think play them.  

Religion could also play a big role. There are a lot of extremists who think anything other than reading their religious scripture (typically xtians) is evil and unacceptable. That it's a disownable offense. Think things like the Westboro Baptist Church. They lose their shit over things like this, which includes buybull games. They're almost as withdrawn as the Amish. The difference is that the WBC is a bunch of brain dead psychopaths.

I remember people handing out little comics that show a kid whose character died in a D&D game committing suicide because of it. In an attempt to show the "reality" of those kind of games.

Eyeroll.jpgFacepalm.jpg.67c709cc9ff5c95912b944b8da26e0b6.jpg

Edited by The Blackangel

On 1/21/2021 at 2:25 PM, AndreiMirfi said:

My parents and my aunt are the only people from my family that doesn't like games.

They say it's just a waste of time, but they let me play.

It's understandable with older folks because they never grew up with such advanced consoles or PCs and the stigma of gaming back in the days means it was looked down on as a childish hobby. My mother views it the same way but growing up she never stopped me from playing.

On 1/8/2021 at 7:23 AM, Alexander. said:

If you've ever encountered folks who despise gaming so much that they hate being around those who play games?  I'm not entirely sure what there is not to like about gaming. What do you think, have you personally came across a family or friend who refused to talk to you about playing video titles? 

Some people tend to criticize what they don't do or understand at all how it's done. So, it's normal when I see any person who doesn't have a good say about video games. 

1 hour ago, Heatman said:

Some people tend to criticize what they don't do or understand at all how it's done. So, it's normal when I see any person who doesn't have a good say about video games. 

I totally agree - those who don't really understand it will hate it because they aren't deriving personal pleasure from it. What I'll say is that everyone just needs to find the right game and they'll get hooked into the culture in no time.

1 minute ago, killamch89 said:

I totally agree - those who don't really understand it will hate it because they aren't deriving personal pleasure from it. What I'll say is that everyone just needs to find the right game and they'll get hooked into the culture in no time.

Seriously, it's why their opinions about video games don't really matter to me because they don't even understand what gaming is all about, so why should I care about their baseless opinions?