Register Now
Alexander.

Should more games introduce a penalty for leaving early?

Should more games introduce a penalty for leaving early? Yes and no. As long as the system can tell from technical problems between a violence quit and a glitch, then I say yes. The leaving of frustration is a bad habit and the only way to teach this is to find out the hard way.

Edited by Alexander.

This is a debate I've long had with World of Warcraft, and I've never had a perfect answer to it. What about people who disconnect, or have an emergency outside of the game, or go AFK to prevent having to leave as such, or...

Much as I'd like to find compromise I can't think of one. I think the answer therefore is yes, there should be a penalty. When joining a group activity you are signing a social contract that suggests you will stay with the group until the agreed upon content is cleared (a boss, a mission, a certain item has been obtained, etc.) The key word being suggests. There's no obligation or court but that of public opinion that dictates you should stay. Now you shouldn't stay with a group that hurls abuse and gives you grief, and that doesn't warrant punishment as such. But if you leave, you're still depriving a group of a player which the content is based around. The game can't recognise the context for your leaving, and will issue a punishment because its criteria of you leaving were met.

This is why I say if you must do group content that requires communication of any kind, go with friends or don't go at all. As I say in this video, a random grouping tool is just that: it is not a random good group finding tool. It is not a random friendly group finding tool. It is, above all else, random with certain criteria to be met. With convenience comes the price of not getting a perfect group.

Edited by Withywarlock

The 'penalty' is losing all the time & resources you've invested so far, and not getting any reward for it, even if your team ends up finishing the map in your absence.What games we talking about here though, in gen. Punishment for this seems odd, what if someone has to leave because of a real life emergency? Fire.. a child.. a devastating phone call... you name it?

I say that nope, not a good idea. I had that one point. In a Roleplaying Clan, I had to leave my PC as I was being sent down real fast to do something, when I got back I was ban for 24 hours for being AFK 😞 also what's worse I was able to get back RPing again a week later. 

Are you fucking serious? If it's time for me to shut down Zelda for a while, I need to be penalized for that? How does that make any sense? If I save and quit RDR2 for the day? Am I supposed to lose all my guns and horses just because I chose to do it and wasn't killed off?

This question is bullshit.

Edited by The Blackangel

There's no point because a number of reasons can result in you leaving a gaming session early which includes your internet going down so I think it should be up to the player to decide. There's also the issue of you possibly having to go somewhere due to an emergency and then being penalized for that is unfair. Games should offer as much freedom as possible not take it away from the user.

2 minutes ago, Syntax said:

I think it depends. Disconnect via bad ping? No. But if you intentionally leave via the client or something else, yes.

It's very difficult for game game developers to see the difference as their programming it. A match loss for disconnecting, but without being branded a cheat, I think is as fair as can be expected. 

On 1/8/2021 at 7:26 AM, Alexander. said:

Should more games introduce a penalty for leaving early? Yes and no. As long as the system can tell from technical problems between a violence quit and a glitch, then I say yes. The leaving of frustration is a bad habit and the only way to teach this is to find out the hard way.

Seriously, you have got to be kidding me. Anyone have got the right to quit any game when he or she feels like it and not get punished in the process. 

On 1/8/2021 at 11:56 AM, Alexander. said:

Why would there be any punishment? I mean, when you quit a game simply you will be eliminated. And you can't complete that mission. If you are talking about MP games, then also you will get disqualified automatically. Why would there be any penalties for that? 🙄

12 minutes ago, Razor1911 said:

Why would there be any punishment? I mean, when you quit a game simply you will be eliminated. And you can't complete that mission. If you are talking about MP games, then also you will get disqualified automatically. Why would there be any penalties for that? 🙄

It depends a lot on how the multiplier game is set up. Sometimes it can be a lesser blow to quit a match and not have the stats' register than to continue to a loss. When this is the case you could attribute the fact that's the case to bad game design, and you would probably have a point. It's always better to make a game more rewarding to stick with to the end rather than quit, but this also a world whare it is unfair to not reward people who leave a match with nothing (it might not be thier fault after all, bad connection, server crashes ect), then finding the right balance is not simple as it sounds. Is it actually more rewarding to do poorly in lots of short matches then doing well is fewer longer matches and playing to the end for example? That would be especially important in a battle royale style game or big, longer timed events such Battlefield or an MMO event. There is lots to consider and if a system can be exploited, you're guaranteed somebody will so it's vital in the interest of fairness to get that right, and game developers don't always get that right.

4 hours ago, Razor1911 said:

Haha, there is no justification for asking for any kind of punishment for anyone gamer who decides to quit, for as far as I'm concerned, it's a personal decision to play or not play.