Register Now
Kane99

Xbox controllers use AA batteries because of a deal with Duracell

So this is why Xbox controllers still don't come with a built in rechargeable battery, according to Stealth Optional, Microsoft has a deal with Duracell, or according to the article "A constant agreement". Makes sense as they give you a set of AA Duracell batteries with each new console and controller. I wish they would at least include a playncharge kit along side it. 

Do you think this will change in the future?

Some people like the idea of game controllers being compatible with removable AA batteries, some prefer the permafitted rechargeable batteries like PlayStation and Nintendo use, and I can understand either view. I'm also ready to believe that a deal between Duracell and Xbox exists, but this article still feels like desperate clickbait to me. The deal is most likely with Microsoft and not Xbox specifically for ALL battery powered goods they ship with. This just an effort by a low rent game's journalism site to drum up a drama over nothing.

All this means is you get Duracell batteries with your Xbox controller instead of cheap crap. I'd frankly like to be able to remove the batteries from my PS4 controllers because I've had to bin no less than two of them because they were no longer able to retain a charge. This was never a problem on the PS3 because the controllers always broke long before that became and issue.

Edited by Shagger

Well you can just get the rechargeable battery and charge your Xbox one controller via USB which is what I do. Who has time to be constantly buying batteries? I don't even want to go outside right now with how bad Covid infections have gotten.

I did hear that the reason they haven't ever released a controller similar to what PlayStation have for theirs that is rechargeable is because of a deal they have with Duracell. I always did wonder why it was always Duracell batteries that would come with the console and the controller over any other make of batteries that they could use and now it makes sense. I personally myself get a charging dock and rechargeable batteries for mine as it's cheaper than having to go out and buy batteries all the time for my controller. 

46 minutes ago, Shortie said:

I did hear that the reason they haven't ever released a controller similar to what PlayStation have for theirs that is rechargeable is because of a deal they have with Duracell. I always did wonder why it was always Duracell batteries that would come with the console and the controller over any other make of batteries that they could use and now it makes sense. I personally myself get a charging dock and rechargeable batteries for mine as it's cheaper than having to go out and buy batteries all the time for my controller. 

Makes more sense why Alan Wake had Energizer batteries scattered all over the game. I think it advertised Xbox in the original version too. 

But yeah, I'm kinda glad they kept it with a battery compartment. Even though I've pretty much moved on rechargeable batteries and battery packs instead. I feel you get more out of the lithium ones for example. They seem to last a long time.

1 minute ago, Kane99 said:

Makes more sense why Alan Wake had Energizer batteries scattered all over the game. I think it advertised Xbox in the original version too. 

But yeah, I'm kinda glad they kept it with a battery compartment. Even though I've pretty much moved on rechargeable batteries and battery packs instead. I feel you get more out of the lithium ones for example. They seem to last a long time.

They sure do. The ones I have now, once I charge them fully I can game for example for about 6 hours if I am live streaming and still have quite a lot of battery power left from continuous usage, I can only imagine how many batteries I would go through if I hadn't of changed to rechargeable and being that the most decent batteries are way more expensive I wouldn't even like to guess how much that would cost me in the long run compared to the small price I paid for rechargeable batteries and the dock.

when it comes to the Xbox Controller vs the PlayStation controller I’ll take replaceable AAs every time. However the Nintendo Pro Controllers for both the Switch and the Wii U are awesome! I’m estimating the battery outlasts at least 2 sets of AAs and probably 3-4x Dual Shock 4 charge based on degradation. I also haven’t notice it degrade as badly or quickly as the Dual Shock 4.