Register Now
Kane99

We should be able to download past dashboards on the 360

When Microsoft started to update the dashboard on the 360, it was cool at first, but gradually with each new dashboard update, it slowed the console down a ton. At least how I saw it. The original dashboard, also called titled "blades", was my all time favorite dashboard for the 360. If I could somehow install that old Dashboard to the console, I would for sure do it in a heartbeat, because it not only looked cool, it was so much faster than what it is at now. 

It's also why I don't ever turn my 360 on anymore, it's just so damn slow to boot up, load the dashboard and even get into your games list. This is why I think going back a few dashboards or back to the beginning, will help with loading the console a bit faster. 

What do you guys think? Wouldn't you want to go back to an old dashboard? I think that's the problem with new consoles, is that they change so much, that you forget what they used to be like to begin with. 

On 1/9/2021 at 4:17 PM, Shole said:

Oh there isn't a feature for that? I mean I thought they would add it..well don Microsoft...well done.

Nope, no feature like it currently. I'm sure you could install old dashboards if you had a way of getting them, but we have to wait for MS to do it. Unless someone can make a mod or a way to re-install old dashboards over the newer ones. I could see it giving more life to the 360. 

On 1/19/2021 at 1:37 PM, Empire said:

I don't even think this will be ever added in my option, I mean is it that important. Well maybe for some. 

MS for sure won't offer such an option, but a guy can dream. The newest dashboard slows things down a lot. That's why I think being able to install old dashboards, could help speed the console up a bit more. Because I remember the blades dashboard and it was fast and right to the point. The newer dashboards slowed the console down a lot. I mean, when I go to my games tab, it takes ages to load. I feel that could be sorted if they released an old dashboard.

But yeah, MS won't ever do that. 

I will always prefer the blades dashboard over the tiles that Microsoft were so intent on cramming into Windows and Xbox. It's fine for touch-screens but as far as I'm aware neither the Xbox 360 nor One supported such technologies, so it frustrating and confusing to navigate. On the plus side the update that ruined the dashboard came with Avatars so I can't complain too much.

On 1/24/2021 at 3:28 PM, Withywarlock said:

I will always prefer the blades dashboard over the tiles that Microsoft were so intent on cramming into Windows and Xbox. It's fine for touch-screens but as far as I'm aware neither the Xbox 360 nor One supported such technologies, so it frustrating and confusing to navigate. On the plus side the update that ruined the dashboard came with Avatars so I can't complain too much.

Exactly, it's the best dashboard hands down. It's not so bad on the Xbox One, but it just slows the 360 down to a crawl. On top of that, I think the avatars being a part of the dashboard slowed it down even more. 

The blades dashboard is fast, smooth, and looks great. 

Xbox was updating the dashboard on 360 with making any move to check if the console would be able to carry on perfectly without many lag with recent update. Judging from the fact that Xbox 360 was made sometime in 2005 and the technological advancement then is nothing compared to what is available now.

Microsoft could have known better than updating the dashboard without upgrading the console to match the update.

Nothing will ever beat the Xbox 360 blade dashboard that we got and I often do miss the blade dashboard we had on the Xbox 360. I myself still being on the Xbox One X right now am starting to see a difference on the speed of how fast the dashboard loads up when I boot up my console and I do feel that it is getting a little too heavy for older consoles which is a shame. My Xbox will boot up and it will take a good minute for all the tabs to load on the home and often I feel like something is wrong with my Xbox. I would love to see the option to be able to choose your own dashboard so that it suits your console, unfortunately I feel that would be too much for Microsoft and Xbox so I don't see anything like that happening any time soon if at all.

1 hour ago, Shortie said:

Nothing will ever beat the Xbox 360 blade dashboard that we got and I often do miss the blade dashboard we had on the Xbox 360. I myself still being on the Xbox One X right now am starting to see a difference on the speed of how fast the dashboard loads up when I boot up my console and I do feel that it is getting a little too heavy for older consoles which is a shame. My Xbox will boot up and it will take a good minute for all the tabs to load on the home and often I feel like something is wrong with my Xbox. I would love to see the option to be able to choose your own dashboard so that it suits your console, unfortunately I feel that would be too much for Microsoft and Xbox so I don't see anything like that happening any time soon if at all.

I'm so nostalgic for it too. The current 360 dashboard is a slog on the hardware. I don't get how they saw it as a reasonable thing to do. It slows the console down even more. 

No way Microsoft will add past dashboards as options. I think it'd help with speeding things up if they put the old dashboard back. I think the only way to do it is modding, and I ain't doing that as it could probably still result in people getting banned for modding. 

1 minute ago, Kane99 said:

I'm so nostalgic for it too. The current 360 dashboard is a slog on the hardware. I don't get how they saw it as a reasonable thing to do. It slows the console down even more. 

No way Microsoft will add past dashboards as options. I think it'd help with speeding things up if they put the old dashboard back. I think the only way to do it is modding, and I ain't doing that as it could probably still result in people getting banned for modding. 

Yeah, I would definitely guarantee that if someone found a way to mod and get the older dashboards on the current consoles, Microsoft would definitely hit people that did it with a ban for messing with stuff and mods. I even got to the point where I cleared my cache on my Xbox in hopes that it would speed up my console when it boots up but it still seems really slow loading when it comes to the dashboard and things popping up on the dashboard. It's tolerable but also somewhat frustrating that it takes as long as it does. I get jealous when my sons fire up their Xbox Series S and their dashboard boots up so fast with things loading in so quick. One day I will be on the new gen but for now, I just tolerate the slow loading.

1 hour ago, Shortie said:

Yeah, I would definitely guarantee that if someone found a way to mod and get the older dashboards on the current consoles, Microsoft would definitely hit people that did it with a ban for messing with stuff and mods. I even got to the point where I cleared my cache on my Xbox in hopes that it would speed up my console when it boots up but it still seems really slow loading when it comes to the dashboard and things popping up on the dashboard. It's tolerable but also somewhat frustrating that it takes as long as it does. I get jealous when my sons fire up their Xbox Series S and their dashboard boots up so fast with things loading in so quick. One day I will be on the new gen but for now, I just tolerate the slow loading.

I hooked my 360 up about a year ago I'd say, and my goodness was it slow. It took forever just to load the dashboard up, but then took more time to bring up the dashboard menus. I have a lot of games on my 360's hard drive too, and loading the view all games section takes forever. I bet if they allowed us to go back to the first dashboard, it would be a much faster experience. Yeah it's kinda dated now, but if it works, that's all that matters. 

I played video games on a friend's Xbox 360 and it quite a long time to boot and load though it's not something you wouldn't be able to wait for though but I always remembered the Xbox 360 to boot and load faster than that.

I would really like to be able to redownload the Xbox 360 blade dashboard.

On 11/10/2022 at 11:09 AM, Justin11 said:

I played video games on a friend's Xbox 360 and it quite a long time to boot and load though it's not something you wouldn't be able to wait for though but I always remembered the Xbox 360 to boot and load faster than that.

I would really like to be able to redownload the Xbox 360 blade dashboard.

Yeah, I really feel that the newer dashboard takes so much more time to boot up now than it ever used to as they have so much on it. The blade dashboard was basic, but it worked and that is what I liked about it. I understand they want to be able to advertise and have sponsors but for some, especially those on old gen it can lead the console to slow down.