Register Now
Kane99

Should I get the original PS3 or the newer model?

I know the PS3 is probably a bit outdated to go for, but I wouldn't mind owning the original released PS3, that was backwards compatible with PS2 and PS1 games. I figure at least get that so I can replay PS2/PS1 games in updated graphics. I figure this way I can put my PS2 in the closet, and have one console for PS1, PS2 and PS3. And then I can finally get my hands on a PS4 and then PS5 down the road. I eventually want to get all PS consoles. I have the first two, just need the next 3 now lol. 😄 

Anyway, what do you guys think? Is it worth getting the OG PS3? Or should I go for a newer model that doesn't have the backwards compatibility? 

There are no updated graphics on a PS3. You have the exact same graphics for the game that you had on the previous system. The graphics are written in the disc not the machine.

As for which one to get I say get the slim. The original one had a lot of issues running PS2 games. It overheated, and often the hard drive would completely crash. The slim still has backwards compatibility with PS1 games, just not with PS2 games.

The backwards compatibility feature in the original model comes at a cost (stated in the post above me ^^), since you have a PS2 already you wouldn't want to buy another console to play PS1 games (PS2 has backward compatibility as well)

On 1/10/2021 at 6:24 AM, Patrik said:

The backwards compatibility feature in the original model comes at a cost (stated in the post above me ^^), since you have a PS2 already you wouldn't want to buy another console to play PS1 games (PS2 has backward compatibility as well)

True. The only real pro of playing PS1 games on a PS3, is that you don't have to keep track of memory cards.

3 hours ago, Syntax said:

Original is only good if you want to play older PS1/PS2 games, otherwise the newer model is the way to go. 

I agree and with the Chinese products available you can get a lot of things for the old consoles.

On 10/14/2021 at 7:36 AM, Heatman said:

I don't really think that it's a wise decision to make getting a Playstation 3 now when you can get PS5 or at least PS4. 

Even the slim PS3 is completely outdated now that we have two versions of PS5. No one is talking about going retrospective to acquire PS3. 

If you're going to actually play it. I would go for a PS3 Slim model, the older fat models, while some are fully backwards compatible with all PS1, PS2 and PS3 games, they are prone to breaking down. If you're going to use the console regularly on a more frequent basis, I would go w/ the Slim revision model,  If you're just collecting it and not going to use it much, then the fat model is nice as a display piece. 🙂