Register Now
StaceyPowers

Games where it was all for nothing

Mafia: The City of Lost Heaven and its sequel are games where the journey must be savoured because the destination isn't pretty. Much like what Vladimir Putin once said about there being "no such thing as a former KGB man", life as a mobster means you're always looking over your shoulder. Quite literally, in the case of Mafia II's ending.

Didn't play many games like that but fore example most like Rust servers I played on felt like that. You build up everything and then someone comes and just blows up your base. I mean i get the point of the game but it's just like ugh I won't do it again...

RE7 threw me off; not really the ending, but resources you get that leads to the end. The game starts off with very limited resources, then were a couple scenes where you gain abundant resources that you lose. And I was upset cause I could have used a bunch of it, but instead fought it out with a knife and running, limited shots. In one instance I actually did waste a bunch of ammo when I didn’t even need to fire a shot. Was deceived. Then the end comes and you need ammo again. Why they want to toy like that? Still great game though. 

1 hour ago, Withywarlock said:

Mafia: The City of Lost Heaven and its sequel

And i will never forget the part where Tommy says "a man who wants everything, ends up having nothing", that made me see GTA as an ant, but Mafia as an elephant...

RED DEAD REDEMPTION 2 SPOILERS 

RDR2 did it for me. At the end I was wondering what the hell I accomplished. With pretty much everyone either turning on each other, or ending up dead or going their own way. The gang broke up completely and it all seemed for nothing. There were no bonds left.

18 hours ago, Withywarlock said:

Mafia: The City of Lost Heaven and its sequel are games where the journey must be savoured because the destination isn't pretty. Much like what Vladimir Putin once said about there being "no such thing as a former KGB man", life as a mobster means you're always looking over your shoulder. Quite literally, in the case of Mafia II's ending.

I disagree with mafia, tommy wins at the end, and lives happily for two decades. For a mafioso that's a pretty big win imo.

in my opinion the worst game design mistake is putting the player in a no-win situation. The only thing worse than that if the entire game is a no-win proposition.

By far the biggest waste of a journey for me was Max Payne 3. It felt hollow and pointless, and not just the end. You don't win a single battle in the entire game.

Another one is Cyberpunk 2077, no matter how hard you fight, or what you do you cannot achieve the main goal of the game.
But there are 6 different ways you can loose. Utterly ridiculous, would it have been that hard to include at least one scenario where you win?

Of course this doesn't mean that a game with a sad ending is automatically bad, it can be done right, for example Mad Max. There is loss, but you achieved a lot during the journey.

No idea but maybe Crusader Kings 2. Starting as the count of Parma and working my way through marriage, war and murder to reforming the collapsed byzantine empire and stretching it's borders from northern Italy to the Oman Peninsula, from Tunisia to the Caspian Sea.

In the beginning I could raise only 500 soldiers, at the end my empire fielded over 1 million men (YEAHH). In my wake I left a litany of broken families, duchies, kingdoms and empires and no one could stand in my way.

Then loss it ALlllllllllllllllllllllllllllll   With the last battle of no pointless 

On 1/10/2021 at 12:32 AM, The Blackangel said:

RDR2 did it for me. At the end I was wondering what the hell I accomplished. With pretty much everyone either turning on each other, or ending up dead or going their own way. The gang broke up completely and it all seemed for nothing. There were no bonds left.

Both RDR 1 and 2 have pretty identical endings because in rdr 1 you play as john marston after arthur dies and he double crosses the group by helping the government round up the rest and was promised a peaceful life but then he also gets double crossed by the government so I'm like what the hell did I ever accomplish?!

On 1/10/2021 at 6:32 AM, The Blackangel said:

Wow thats sad, and good to know when I will play it to prepare for that kind of disappointment. I thought at least two will be left in the gang...

Am I feeling brave enough to bring up Mass Effect 3 today...?

Yes, apparently I am.

Three games' worth of choices and decisions and shaping the game world, only to be corralled into one of three color-coded endings that are basically the same except for slightly altered cutscenes. 

Not that I'm still bitter or anything * cough cough *